The random model thread!

KIIIA

Cool stuff, you using custom normals?

I can still see a bit of tilling, but nothign major and nothing no one would even care during gameplay.

I'd be curious to see it with less information on the color map, the tips of nearly ever leaf are getting too bright, resulting in a tad noisy look. What I usually do is I reexport the colormap with just the color green, and slowly bring some information in, gradients, then cavity, then AO. Just saying this because usually meshes like this are more important that they look better from afar than when stepped closed to them. More often than not all you need is big gradients, not detailed leaf textures.

On 3/19/2017 at 6:31 AM, grapen said:

By no means anything special. I'm just happy I managed to texture a model entirely in SD. One year ago I could barely make and texture a cube. The prospect of where I'll be in another year from now excites me :)

sceparch.thumb.jpg.a3b480933f333f6588217cf13324c24a.jpg

Cool shit, here's a tip, add a trim decal to where the edge of the trim meets the wall, to ease off the transition of both materials.

eEETjf4.png

Just now, [HP] said:

Cool stuff, you using custom normals? I can still see a bit of tilling, but nothign major and nothing no one would even care during gameplay.

I'd be curious to see it with less information off the color map, the tips of nearly ever leaf are getting too bright. What I usually do is I reexport the colormap with just the color green, and slowly bring some information in, gradients, then cavity, then AO. just saying this because usually meshes like this are more important that they look better from afar than when stepped closed to them.

Thanks for the feedback and tips! Yeah I'm not too happy with the custom normals, they could be better but I haven't figured out how yet :/ I still got a lot to learn there. I see what you mean with the tiling, I used Blenders particle system to disperse the "branches" super quick, but for some reason the particle alghorithm refuse to disperse them evenely despite claiming it will. I could go in and move some objects by hand though!

I hand painted the textures so I thought it would make a cool effect with the bright tips, but you are probably right, I'll experiment with them.

24 minutes ago, [HP] said:

Yeah you got it, usually less shit on the colormap makes foliage looks better, cos it gets repeated a lot.

PS. Even the normal map, usually I just blur the shit out of the normal map so it's smoother and reduce the intensity to like 50% or less.

Did you make the hedge in Oasis by the way? Got inspired to change my model again after seeing it :D

1 hour ago, cashed said:

@grapen I cant unsee these lines

1ChOXST.png

Hehe yeah I know, open source algorithms ;) will go in and fix them by hand tonight!

Edit: while doing this I noticed two stray verts had found their way into my reference branch, jacking up the total tri count by 33%. Crisis averted. All is well that ends well.

hedge5.thumb.jpg.6500b91c5144a72b2a308cc6c2805f3b.jpg

Edited by grapen

On 3/8/2017 at 11:37 AM, grapen said:

I recently discovered by accident that checking Auto Smooth in mesh properties will give you the same effect when you mark sharp edges, so no need to edge split at all. Auto Smooth will only apply to the faces you have marked as smooth. Blender is a conundrum to me sometimes. Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

I just set auto smooth to 180 degrees. Whole model will be smooth except for the marked edges. No need for a modifier :). Coming from Maya figuring this out was confusing lol, but I think I actually like the tight control over hard edges in Blender more!