KIIIA

The random model thread!

55 minutes ago, leplubodeslapin said:

Is there a specific reason to demonstrate the PBR with a low-res texture ?

Yepp. I will show them how to use UV-tiling to get higher texel density to make a point; that it's important to reflect over your texel density and not just lazily use high res textures. I'd say a low-res texture shows this better. :)

Alright, yes indeed it's important to learn them the good maners i guess :P

I just find it a bit disapointing that it doesn't fully show the potential of PBR (from my point of view).
Maybe it's just because of the camera position or lighting orientation, i can't see much shading on this single picture (just some bumps on the top left).

1 hour ago, leplubodeslapin said:

Alright, yes indeed it's important to learn them the good maners i guess :P

I just find it a bit disapointing that it doesn't fully show the potential of PBR (from my point of view).
Maybe it's just because of the camera position or lighting orientation, i can't see much shading on this single picture (just some bumps on the top left).

Yeah you are entirely right about that. When normal maps drop so low in res it looks like the definitions kinda dissapear completely or gets very blurred out. But there is some definition there that can be seen if you rotate the whole thing.

Just sharing what I am currently working on. This is following Tim Bergholz's tutorial with exception to the final smooth operations for the high poly creation. This was just a screenshot of the successful test bake with a simple material slapped on there. I am hoping to finish this within the next week or two (handle, completely custom materials/textures). I am going to do a energy type slicing blade I think.

Kukri_Blade.jpg

23 hours ago, RadojeCS said:

Can someone provide me with some modern skyscrapers for 3d skybox? i am new to forum i dont know where should i ask for it?

This is probably the wrong thread for it, but to answer your question: In this texture pack by @TopHATTwaffle, there are some building textures you could apply to skyscrapers made of brushes: http://www.tophattwaffle.com/downloads/real-world-textures/

Also - and probably more relevant - @MrTwoVideoCards and @holiestcows released their assets of Junction which include some nice skybox models:

No matter what you use: Always give credit to the creators :)

Made this low-poly Unity scene just to try out some hand painted workflow with the Unity setup. Fun stuffs! 

liG14yO.jpg

Edit: Used my lantern at home for ref.

XE0RNct.jpg

Edit 2: Made a gif this morning before work with a point light animation. I know, the gif doesnt loop.

UntOn34.gif

Edited by Sjonsson

On 2/12/2017 at 11:39 AM, RadojeCS said:

Can someone provide me with some modern skyscrapers for 3d skybox? i am new to forum i dont know where should i ask for it?

Yeah feel free to use http://www.mapcore.org/topic/20514-csgo-junction-assets/#comment-424354 just be sure to credit :) 

On 2017-01-14 at 10:13 AM, leplubodeslapin said:

@KOLARI Looks great dude !!! 

I can see you're having troubles for defining which edges should be hard and which edges should be smooth.

By default, everything is flat obviously ...

mjyr72F.png

And when you smooth your object, everything is smooth, not depending from any angle between the faces

YRxhPu6.png

In Edit mode, select an edge and press CTRL + E, and then Mark Sharp

93LS4kv.png

Finally, you need to change that Edge split modifier you may have used (i'm assuming you're using it), uncheck "Edge angle" and check "Sharp Edges"

0mU6qoy.png

Then, you'll have full control over which edges are sharp and all the others will be smooth.

I hope that helps

WdO9DrG.png

I recently discovered by accident that checking Auto Smooth in mesh properties will give you the same effect when you mark sharp edges, so no need to edge split at all. Auto Smooth will only apply to the faces you have marked as smooth. Blender is a conundrum to me sometimes. Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

Edited by grapen