KIIIA

The random model thread!

@KOLARI Looks great dude !!! 

I can see you're having troubles for defining which edges should be hard and which edges should be smooth.

By default, everything is flat obviously ...

mjyr72F.png

And when you smooth your object, everything is smooth, not depending from any angle between the faces

YRxhPu6.png

In Edit mode, select an edge and press CTRL + E, and then Mark Sharp

93LS4kv.png

Finally, you need to change that Edge split modifier you may have used (i'm assuming you're using it), uncheck "Edge angle" and check "Sharp Edges"

0mU6qoy.png

Then, you'll have full control over which edges are sharp and all the others will be smooth.

I hope that helps

WdO9DrG.png

Edited by leplubodeslapin

21 minutes ago, Vorontsov said:

Smoothing groups are old stuff! Get on editing the vertex normals of your models :)

Yeah smoothing tends to fuck over shading on props sometimes in Source. It has frustrated me quite a deal.

On 11.1.2017 at 10:37 PM, kinggambit said:

s4ZjFki.jpg

Any experienced substance designer users have an idea of how to procedurally apply snow to the lower crevices of the model? I'm planning on adding snow to most of my exterior models.

Ambient Occlusion + Position input -> mask?

I'm positive that those will look fantastic on your polar base. Imho, compared to the rest, the shovel looks a little bland. Maybe you could make it a little more interesting like in this picture

DSC01575.jpg

Also those rubber-chaines (?) should be way darker than the metal wheels.

Anyway great job. I would be interested in seeing the colission model if you feel like sharing.

Edited by esspho

Took a break from solid modeling and did some surface modeling for fun :)

Done in Solidworks, so gimme a break :P  I know there is a curvature/tangency error on the sill below the door; it has been fixed, just not in this render.

~8hrs of work on this.

Ideas on the design are welcome!

rendah8_rs.jpg

rendah3_rs.jpg

On 1/14/2017 at 4:26 AM, Vorontsov said:

Smoothing groups are old stuff! Get on editing the vertex normals of your models :)

On 1/14/2017 at 2:39 PM, grapen said:

I finally defeated VRAD. Slightly cheaper than our favourite Source tree, here for scale.

did you edit vertex normals for that? Coincidentally read about them the other day for a maxscript and I had no idea how essential they are TreeMakerScript_plus_NormalThiefScript.g

1 hour ago, kinggambit said:

did you edit vertex normals for that? Coincidentally read about them the other day for a maxscript and I had no idea how essential they are TreeMakerScript_plus_NormalThiefScript.g

Yep. Without edited normals it looks pretty much like that gif. You can enable "ignore surface normals" on the prop in hammer, but that makes it look flat instead.

I understand what  a vertex normal is (and how to edit it), but can you describe a use case where it is a better option than applying smoothing groups on a complex object? Foliage it works well for clearly as it smooths shading across the various planes making up the foliage... any other use cases where it would be advantageous though?

20 hours ago, Sigma said:

I understand what  a vertex normal is (and how to edit it), but can you describe a use case where it is a better option than applying smoothing groups on a complex object? Foliage it works well for clearly as it smooths shading across the various planes making up the foliage... any other use cases where it would be advantageous though?

Everywhere :D

1 hour ago, Vorontsov said:

Everywhere :D

Thanks for the explanation :P

As a matter of passing along information, apparently you can quickly edit vertex normals (for trees/foliage) by transferring another meshe's normals (say a very smooth cone) to the vertex normals of a tree mesh. This makes doing the foliage/trees normals work much easier (and faster).

Edited by Sigma

On 1/19/2017 at 5:24 AM, grapen said:

Yep. Without edited normals it looks pretty much like that gif. You can enable "ignore surface normals" on the prop in hammer, but that makes it look flat instead.

damn i made a tree a long time ago and i chalked it up to me being inadequate, is there a good tutorial on editing normals? ive never actually seen that before. 

1 hour ago, Dillon Beard said:

damn i made a tree a long time ago and i chalked it up to me being inadequate, is there a good tutorial on editing normals? ive never actually seen that before. 

There's probably lots of them depending on what software you use. In the case of my tree, in Blender I just enabled Auto Smooth in the mesh properties, then added a Normal Edit Modifier, set it to Radial and turned down Mix Factor a bit.