Exotic Places CS:GO Mapping Contest 2019

Mapcore-Test-1400x750v3.jpg.6e24d3675552f8f289ab338cb5151f8f.jpg

Mapcore is now holding a Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Mapping Contest for original 5v5 bomb defusal maps AND hostage-rescue maps, powered by FACEIT!

Mapcore's Veteran Judges will be joined by CS:GO Guest Experts on CS maps, such as

Pimp, Moses, The WarOwl, LAUNDERS, adreN, DDK, James Bardolph, and Anders Blume!

How to Enter the Exotic Places Mapping Contest

Post a "Work In Progress" thread in Mapcore’s Official Event Forum!

When you're ready, update your WIP thread with a link to your playable map's Steam Workshop page.

Your thread + playable map constitutes your entry to this contest!

Submission Deadline

Your playable map must be entered by February 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Judging Procedure

Mapcore Judges

FMPONE -- @FMPONE
Puddy -- @puddpuddpudd
TopHattWaffle -- @TopHattWaffle

Guest Experts

Pimp -- @Pimp_CSGO
adreN -- @adreN_Hoag
Anders Blume -- @OnFireAnders
James Bardolph -- @jamesbardolph
Daniel "DDK" Kapadia -- @ddkesports
Jason "Moses" O'Toole -- @OnFireMoses
WarOwl -- @TheWarOwl
Launders -- @launders

Mapcore will announce Contest Finalists on February 10, 2020

To determine 10 Finalist maps, Mapcore Judges will rate Contest maps according to the following 100 point criteria, with any ties broken by our Guest Experts: 

25 points: Fun Factor (how well-designed is the map)

25 points: Originality + Relevance to the "Exotic Places" Theme (Exotic meaning it's normal definition as well as "locations seen infrequently in CS:GO")

25 points: Visual Presentation (how aesthetically pleasing and sophisticated is the map)

25 points: Overall Polish (bug-free maps; maps with Soundscapes; maps which run smoothly; other determinations relating to quality)

Finalist mappers will then have one month to make changes based on community feedback.

Top 4 Contest maps and the Grand Prize Winner will be declared on March 16, 2020

After March 10, 2020 Mapcore Judges and Guest Experts will rate every finalist map according to the same 100 point criteria above (Fun Factor, Originality/Thematic Presentation, Visuals, Overall Polish), with any ties broken by Guest Judge Anders Blume.

Mapcore will then declare the Top 4 Contest maps and our Grand Prize Winner!

Contest Prizes

Top 4 Contest Maps receive:

Eternal Bragging Rights

A Spotlight on Mapcore (linking to each epic WIP thread)

A Monetary Prize ($7,500 for First place; $4,500 for Second place; $2,000 for Third place; $1,000 for Fourth place)

Map added to Mapcore’s FACEIT HUB platform for 4 months!

Special Valve prizes! (CS:GO/Valve merchandise, courtesy of Valve Software)

Contest Rules

1. Entry into this Contest is free of charge for all.
  2. Your entry must be a playable map for the PC version of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
  3. Remakes (maps of the same name and design of an existing map released for public download), sequels (e.g. de_dust3), and spiritual successors (new name for an old design layout) can NOT be entered.
  4. Maps that were under creation prior to the announcement of this Contest can be entered, as long as a complete map version (layout and any non-greybox art) was not released for public download.
  5. Map entries must be submitted to the CS:GO Steam Workshop AND our Mapcore Contest sub-forum before the deadline.
  6. Map authors are free to share their map on any other websites or services they wish, however the map must remain free to download.
  7. Multiple map entries are permitted, however each entry will be judged for its own particular quality.
  8. Map entries created by teams are permitted, however entrants will have to agree how to split any prizes awarded prior to prize claim and dispatch.
  9. Mapcore encourages entrants NOT to update your Workshop map after the deadline. Entries will not be disqualified if updated, but entrants assume the risk of introducing bugs/glitches into their work. Judges will not be asked to overlook such bugs/glitches, so we recommend "finalizing" a polished version of your project before the deadline in order to “put your best foot forward”.
  10. Mapcore forum rules must be obeyed.
  11. All custom textures, models, etc. must be embedded into the map's .bsp file (FREE TUTORIAL AND TOOL). Assets must also comply with Steam Workshop guidelines.
  12. Map authors must be able to accept cash payments. Winners of hardware or physical products will be required to provide a valid shipping address.
  13. Judges, Experts, and individuals associated with organizing this contest CANNOT enter, nor provide material assistance to map entrants.
  14. If a Finalist entry is disqualified due to violation of ANY of these rules, all applicable winnings will be directed to the next highest-rated map.
  15. Void where prohibited. 

Contest Eligibility

1. Participant eligibility: This Contest is open to any individual, or teams of individuals, provided they comply with the following:

• Participants must not be an Employee or Official Staff Member of the “Organizer” (Mapcore) or “Sponsors” (FACEIT).
  • Participants must not have taken part in the judging, or official announcement of this Contest.
  • Participants must not be a direct relative, spouse, or direct employee of any of the above.
  • If a Contest Judge has previously published a CS:GO level with a participant, that Judge will be fully disqualified from scoring any entry by that person. In place of the disqualified Judge's score, the entire panel of Guest Judges will be asked to rate the entry, and their rating will then be averaged.

2. Legal Age: This Contest is open to any individuals who meet the above “participant eligibility” criteria. In the event that a participant who has not reached the legal age in his/her state wins one or more prizes, he/she must provide contact details for the legal guardian who will claim the prize(s).

Prize Disclaimer

FACEIT will be providing Prize revenue. Mapcore assumes no responsibility.

THANK YOU to our AMAZING COMMUNITY!

And to our INCREDIBLE Sponsor:

logo.jpg.0e401cacddd5fb4a75c7479713440f64.jpg

https://twitter.com/FACEIT

• FMPONE featured this topic
  • FMPONE pinned this topic

Woohoo, another contest to enter and then not have time to complete my map! ? In all seriousness though, thanks for organising this, and good luck to all participants.

I have an annoying question about the theme though, because I find it a bit vague and there are 25 points at stake! Whose definition of "exotic" are we aiming to satisfy? As far as my understanding of the word goes, exotic basically just means "foreign", and we're all foreigners somewhere. I see at least two fellow Brits on the expert panel who might have a wildly different idea of what constitutes Exotic than a judge who lives in the Galapagos or Switzerland.

7 minutes ago, text_fish said:

I have an annoying question about the theme though, because I find it a bit vague and there are 25 points at stake! Whose definition of "exotic" are we aiming to satisfy?

My guess is that the theme just has to be something we've never seen before. Like perhaps a snowy construction site, or a mine site in a forest, or heck even a 1970's style fish factory with big ole sawblades everywere is exotic in my eyes because it's certainly original ?

Edited by That50'sGuy

5 minutes ago, Chamii said:

Sounds awsome!

Would it be allowed to use for example @Yanzl 's custom props and textures in the map?

They are really nice and i dont have any experince in creating my own models.

Good luck all!

Make sure to read Yanzl's Source Emporium post. It specifically says "Free for non-commercial use as long as you give appropriate credit"