FMPONE

Exotic Places CS:GO Mapping Contest 2019

Maps that were under creation prior to the announcement of this Contest can be entered, as long as a complete map version (layout and any non-greybox art) was not released for public download.

How strict is this rule actually? If the spawns have final details, but the layout is still under construction, and the map is released publicly for testing purposes already, would that disqualify it?

2 hours ago, That50'sGuy said:

How strict is this rule actually? If the spawns have final details, but the layout is still under construction, and the map is released publicly for testing purposes already, would that disqualify it?

“Spawns have final details” ...final implies it’s too far along to enter our contest. Not that complicated, we don’t want stuff with art released prior to the announcement. Greyboxes are fine.

I have an original map near final that was not publicly released/fully completed. For this contest, I want to remake it from scratch. The remade version is at the greybox phase with one site implemented. Does this violate rule 3?

Edited by Chi

44 minutes ago, Chi said:

I have an original map near final that was not publicly released/fully completed. For this contest, I want to remake it from scratch. The remade version is at the greybox phase with one site implemented. Does this violate rule 3?

If neither version was publicly released you’re fine. 

Would there still be time to start a map from scratch.

I lost my map files somehow, and dont really have anything right now.

Would there be any point of starting to make a map this late into this competition? (Detailing in this short time will be hard).

10 hours ago, H1PP0P0T4MU5 said:

Would there be any point of starting to make a map this late into this competition? (Detailing in this short time will be hard).

You can always do it for the exercise, practice is always good!!

On 10/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, H1PP0P0T4MU5 said:

There’s 4 months still! I don’t see why not. If you have started a map you must remember the layout so will be queasy and quick to create it.

The problem might be the detailing, but if the layout is tested then it’s just work and so it all hinges on your patience and proficiency. But having worked in the past months you know where you are headed.

You could always fall back to default assets or find royalty free ones or even license something that you only need to convert to the right format… there are so many ready-made kits on the different 3D marketplaces that would allow to keep your style consistent. I’m no artist and we are talking about stuff made by professionals, so I wouldn’t hesitate one minute to buy something like that, considering how much longer it would take me to get to produce that amount of assets (to a much lower quality).

16 hours ago, blackdog said:

There’s 4 months still! I don’t see why not. If you have started a map you must remember the layout so will be queasy and quick to create it.

The problem might be the detailing, but if the layout is tested then it’s just work and so it all hinges on your patience and proficiency. But having worked in the past months you know where you are headed.

You could always fall back to default assets or find royalty free ones or even license something that you only need to convert to the right format… there are so many ready-made kits on the different 3D marketplaces that would allow to keep your style consistent. I’m no artist and we are talking about stuff made by professionals, so I wouldn’t hesitate one minute to buy something like that, considering how much longer it would take me to get to produce that amount of assets (to a much lower quality).

I have a good layout idea now (not going to publish it yet). I'm going to use the default csgo models, some models from de_breach and de_zoo, also some models and textures from unity assetstore. (I'm too lazy to model anything myself :) ).

Are entered maps allowed to be based on real world locations, nothing was specified but just wanted clarity.

Disclaimer:
I know real world based maps are never great due to the nature of their layouts, however I quite fancy the challenge of making one work.
It's also what I would see as fulfilling the "locations seen infrequently in CS:GO" criteria.

8 minutes ago, Vaya said:

yeah that is fine. I'd suggest watching company logos etc tho!

Thank you!

Yeah, I was thinking either completely fake or potentially spoof ones. Probably the former just to be safe.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, DazRave said:

Are entered maps allowed to be based on real world locations, nothing was specified but just wanted clarity.

Disclaimer:
I know real world based maps are never great due to the nature of their layouts, however I quite fancy the challenge of making one work.
It's also what I would see as fulfilling the "locations seen infrequently in CS:GO" criteria.

My map is based off of the house I grew up in, I think using real life locations is great for layout (though keeping it exactly the same isn't ideal) changes for game play reasons is necessary.  I changed quite a bit about it, I even flipped the whole map; let me tell you after living in the house for 19 years it actually gave me a headache seeing it flipped for the first time.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, DazRave said:

Disclaimer:

That's the reason I'm working on my map, after having people playtest it I can confirm this strategy works if you've carefully planned it out beforehand