T-Rexer

[decompiled] dz_blacksite

Thanks T-Rexer.

For those who had the first same question as me: 20608 x 20608

It appears optimisation mostly comes down to a shit load of horizontal hint brushes?

Unsurprisingly, in game the environment is a lot less detailed (at least on the small scale) than other recent maps such as Dust2 and Nuke. A lot of the interiors are CS:S quality.

5 hours ago, text_fish said:

Thanks T-Rexer.

For those who had the first same question as me: 20608 x 20608

It appears optimisation mostly comes down to a shit load of horizontal hint brushes?

Unsurprisingly, in game the environment is a lot less detailed (at least on the small scale) than other recent maps such as Dust2 and Nuke. A lot of the interiors are CS:S quality.

battleroyale quality 

In relation to this map's textures (under the 'hr_massive' category in Hammer SDK) how does the four way blend or any blend work? I try to blend but it just adds more or takes away grass (the tall grass that looks like a sprite) and I try using the sculpt tool's 'Blend' option under the displacement settings but that does nothing as well. What's Valve's secret?

2 hours ago, CoconutDawg said:

In relation to this map's textures (under the 'hr_massive' category in Hammer SDK) how does the four way blend or any blend work? I try to blend but it just adds more or takes away grass (the tall grass that looks like a sprite) and I try using the sculpt tool's 'Blend' option under the displacement settings but that does nothing as well. What's Valve's secret?

I think Valve used not anounced tools. Or Valve used Sprinkle tools, for .vbsp grass, but i don't know how it work. This tools EZ for prop_static and other entities.

Spoiler

tAHVteL13go.jpg

Edited by untor

On 12/7/2018 at 1:49 AM, I ♡ The 1950's said:

I'm very interested to see how they made the detail sprites work in the map. I've been trying to get them to work for so long now. Thank you for this!

the grass in blacksite just seem like normal old-fashioned detailsprites ..i guess

it definitely works but a lot of commands cause errors and my grass doesnt look as good but it could be the quality of the texture im using

OSHzIyJ.jpg

my vmt:

Grass
{
    "$basetexture" "sawmill/detailsprites/detailsprites_sawmill"
    $alphatest 1
    $vertexcolor 1
}

"$alphatest" and   "$vertexcolor" are the only needed and working commands as i know of(everything else makes it glitch out)

1. Decrease Tools - Options - 3D views - Detail render distance value to make Hammer happy.
2. How it's done? Again I'm tried to discover without help from Valve - with success.

I created a simple material using one of %detailtype made by Valve for a new map, "survival_grass_2" and I covered one big (~20k) displaced plane by this material.

Spoiler

"WorldVertexTransition"

{

"$basetexture" "mamorex/dev64_orange"
"$basetexture2" "mamorex/dev64_grey"
"%detailtype" "survival_grass_2"

}

Here's the effect:

Spoiler

20181210230630_1.jpg.eaf174a31bd793201faa0d47978cdabc.jpg

detail.vbsp is in csgo folder, the other files not, so I used GCFScapes.

survival_grass_2 using a "detail\detailsprites_survival" for detail sprites.

Spoiler

grass
{
    "$basetexture"     "detail/detailsprites_survival"
    "$masks"           "detail/detailsprites_survival_masks"
    "$alphatest"       "1"
    "$vertexcolor"     "1"
    "$worldspacetype"  "detail/test_massive9_grass_type"
    "$worldspacetint"  "detail/test_massive9_grass_tint"
    "$worldspaceburn"  "_rt_grassburn"
    "$worldspacezone"  "_rt_zoneprojection"
    %notooltexture     "1"
//    "$worldspacescale" ".75"
    "$minimumspritesize" "22"
}

So, Valve created three masks:

"$worldspacetint"  "detail/test_massive9_grass_tint"

test_massive9_grass_tint.jpg.dfa43014ed17f261026a015bd3bf407a.jpg

It looks like the darker = cover by grass, lighter = no grass.

"$worldspacetype"  "detail/test_massive9_grass_type"

test_massive9_grass_type.jpg.dd31a3dd6aaa656472de7aac007c87da.jpg

A few colors to decide, what type of grass will be placed.

"$masks" "detail/detailsprites_survival_masks"

detailsprites_survival_masks.thumb.jpg.c1f23b49646ab9f532d0736d5bc3f988.jpg

I don't know, how it works, but colors are the same as in the previous one.

So, if you want to use a detail sprites in your map like Valve, you must create a .vbsp file with a new detail sprites type and detail sprites material with a new masks, specially designed to your map.

If you delete masks entries from your custom detail sprites material, sprites are placed or not by blend alpha value and parameters from .vbsp file.

Spoiler

20181210235506_1.jpg.9e1ecb476f8a6ef84829d15d72945cd0.jpg

Edited by Mamorex

I've tried and by using various different textures I can remove the upright grass but the blending of the actual ground doesn't show up in Hammer nor in game. What do I have to do for this to work (I'm not that great at Hammer!) if anyone knows? 😀