WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

Back in December we had a media release for Operation: Black Mesa and I posted a few WIP areas from my work on of2a1 (first map in the chapter "Missing In Action" for Opposing Force) and I believe I posted them here too, after chatting with the community at large I made some changes to better fit the atmosphere that was set in the original map, the changes to this effect are mostly lighting based with a few texture adjustments but I've also made some additions to the geometry to flesh out the area a bit more, so first here is the area that was posted in December 2015

Hft9cIK.jpg

As you can see it's quite bright and friendly compared to the original level which looks like this.

7RGwD8m.jpg

So here is how my version of the level now looks, this is the fan room for OF2A1 as of July 2016

1OZo6Dk.jpg

There is still stuff that needs to be done, my next plan is to work on the particle effects I need for the area and fix up the "smog" that emits from the fans which can't be screenshotted for some odd reason, seems to be a bug that has popped up for us and makes the room look too clean for the lights to make sense in some cases.

Spoiler

16242-16-1468095493.jpg

16242-2-1468095495.jpg

16242-7-1468095494.jpg16242-1-1468095495.jpg

16242-5-1468095495.jpg

16242-10-1468096644.jpg

16242-11-1468095494.jpg

KWxBiuu.jpg

SunTTmW.jpg

v0n0hHs.jpg

WCPK4wA.jpg

Fallout 4 nexus has been a godsend for keeping me motivated with positive feedback

Been working a lot more on Scum of the Commonwealth for Fallout 4, got 12 levels total now, taken me a long time to get them done, mainly because I'm wrapping up this year's work, but here are some screenshots. (they're large images)

Early Screenshot of 'The Beacon' which is a new level to my 'Scum of the Commonwealth pack' for Fallout 4, this is a gunner occupied naval vessel with a radio beacon attached. You will find this shipwrecked nearby the atom cat's garage when it launches in the coming week.

Cn12XJsWIAUU8N-.jpg:large

Edited by Bastion

14 hours ago, nikkoship said:

@Bastion How difficult is that tool to learn/use compared to something like hammer?

Once you get to grips with the different camera controls and some tools, it is not too bad.

pro

• Can see the real navmesh in editor
  • can see lighting, fog and skybox rendered pretty well in editor
  • quite easy to get new content added into the editor for unique levels
  • no compile process for playtesting
  • Building environments is quite easy thanks to how rooms are built, take assets of walls with floors and ceilings, and for finer tweeking, you can use free-walls and free-floors to make more unique layouts, its what I tend to use for my locations.

con

• Relies solely on pre-built models for everything instead of brushes, so unique buildings or items need to be custom build in 3d modelling software
  • can be a massive resource hog if working in the wasteland/wilderness cells
  • Scripting is  not very well organised, and creating effective scripting can be a bitch.
  • Initial loading time is arse, you're loading every asset and location so it can be quickly accessed later. (may be my pc being shit)
  • prone to freezing when adding items or using the wasteland/wilderness (may be my pc being shit)

That being said, I still got a lot to learn personally.

Edited by Bastion

Yesterday after countless hours of looking for reference images for a satellite center, I finally found some 3D image views of an existing satellite center.
My motivation went from sad-no-inspiration to can't wait to work on my map every day.

Old T spawn

iqQV71u.png

New T spawn (ignore pixelated text :))

imJDAhH.png

Creating easy models in Blender also is going a lot better. And exporting them to Source is getting easier every day. Even bought a DSLR to take my own textures, so I'm really committed to get this map done.
Now off to vacation and can't wait to get back to continue working on it for the next playtest!