Half-Life Alyx

Tisky

SPOILER

Spoiler

It's a spoiler, please don't read this if you have not finished the game

Spoiler

I mean, I'm serious, really it's huge

Spoiler

OK.... I finished the game this night at 3 AM. oh my gad it was so cool and I'm so happy by the way they connected it to Half-Life 2 and its episodes, giving a real explanation of why Gordon suddenly reappears on earth for the beginning on Half-Life 2. And it's an amazing teaser for Half-Life 3 where we should play as Gordon again and look for Alyx with the help of Eli !! It's so freaking cool ! I wasn't a fan of going to the Antarctic for an HL2:EP3, it would not have been an easy playground to make maps with variety. So this is an amazing news because it clearly shows we're gonna get some HL again and the story continues !!

At first I had this idea of the prison being the borealis, it could have been an explanation of why Eli and Kleiner seem to argue either if we should use it as a weapon or not. And then they gave the explanation of a prison with supposedly Gordon inside, it was much more appealing and I just couldn't stop playing the game until I finished it o_o

And oh my gad this game is pretty. It clearly doesn't disappoint, from the beginning to the end

I quite enjoyed the shotgun bit I figured it out quite quickly. My only issue is I'm playing in a tiny space so it was a little difficult for me to position myself to reach out and grab it safely.

Fought my first combine last night, they're quite fun to fight, kinda feels like Time Crisis or other arcade shooters ducking behind cover and popping up to take shots at them.

Having a bit of trouble with grenades, never seem to be able to throw them too far, but that might just be me not being used to VR and I probably need to release the button later to let go of them.

You know what though... fk black headcrabs. I fear them more in this game than I did in HL2! ?

The BIGGEST complaint I have against the Index is the damn cable. I have it setup in a 12x9 room so I can walk around, and the cable keeps looping up on itself to the point it turns into a heavy pile of tangled cable and starts pulling on the back of my headset. So I have to stop playing, take off the headset and untangle the bloody thing. Getting pretty frustrated at that.

If valve take anything away from this release is that they really need to look at their next headset having no cable. Or at least the cable being so thin and light that this issues goes away. Easy to sit here and say this of course, but geez. I am a cable untying master now.

Spoiler

I wish this game had the other zombie types from Half Life 2, just to spice things up every now and again. Imagine fast zombies in this ?

^ Enemy idea in the above thread, don't read if you havent finished. ^

Edited by PogoP

2 hours ago, dux said:

The BIGGEST complaint I have against the Index is the damn cable. I have it setup in a 12x9 room so I can walk around, and the cable keeps looping up on itself to the point it turns into a heavy pile of tangled cable and starts pulling on the back of my headset. So I have to stop playing, take off the headset and untangle the bloody thing. Getting pretty frustrated at that.

If valve take anything away from this release is that they really need to look at their next headset having no cable. Or at least the cable being so thin and light that this issues goes away. Easy to sit here and say this of course, but geez. I am a cable untying master now.

This is where quick turning comes in handy. I don't have any problems with the cable when I use it, except for how heavy the damn thing is

Also, this game proves that VR basketball would suck terribly.

I love how they do 19 unique voicelines providing basketball players morale support because Valve did NOT want to cut this, they'd rather just work around how wonky and terrible it is by making people feel better about it lol

12 hours ago, [HP] said:

We're probably still a few years away from full wireless VR, but it's coming for sure. Once the kits get lighter, they'll be able to put powerful Wifi antenas inside them, not sure if wifi is capable of transferring so much data though.

i think is more likely they can get more power out of mobile chips and solve the wireless problem that way, than streaming from a PC. Although with all these streaming platforms you would think they would be able to do it already locally.

I remember seeing "wireless" setups with laptops strapped at the back.

Anyway @dux's problem with the cable could be possibly solved with a better cable, i'm thinking braided and stuff. I look just at my controllers, and how the old X360 cable doesn't tangle and doesn't deform, whist the Xbox One (for PC) is all ruined after much less use.

It requires extra investment but if one can have a room just for gaming, then maybe one can look at some swiveling arm so the cable hangs down from the ceiling. Maybe even a podcasting mic arm can be adapted for the use.

Edited by blackdog