[CS:GO] de_austria (WIP)

Radix

Already posted a picture in the WIP thread. Here is a little more of my current project:

more pics:

6Cw5faR.jpg

JbDV5TJ.jpg

XgtB5AX.jpg

layout:

jdnttdP.jpg

Map size is medium, layout simple but tricky, with open areas as well as some close/medium combat. There are two main T-routes, which branch off to the "middle" at the first choke points. So gameplay should be fast and dynamic, map control is pretty important.

Originally wanted the map to be some kind of remake of my very first big CS map I made in 2001 (that's what it looked like :D: pic1, pic2), but only kept some basic ideas and the setting...

Took some inspiration from this place in Austria:

ZgYIxaY.jpg

As already said, the map is mostly done. Currently doing the boring part (such as clipping, tweaking fade ranges, bot nav, replacing some assets that I have borrowed, ...)

Hope to get it ready for some public playtesting soon...

Edited by Radix

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Radix said:

Something typical for this map:

Adjusted the geometry of Valve's model to fit my needs better and reskinned it (and removed ~3k unneeded triangles for better fps)

And how it looks like in the map:

I always wondered, is it allowed to change Valve their models/textures for commercial projects? Edit: With commercial projects, I mean CS:GO operation maps.

Either way, awesome change ! Fits the environment

Edited by JSadones

2 hours ago, JSadones said:

I always wondered, is it allowed to change Valve their models/textures for commercial projects?

Either way, awesome change ! Fits the environment

For commercial projects? No. In between Valve's games (From HL2EP2 to CSGO, and from CSGo to Portal 2, and from Portal 2 to L4D2, etc) they don't care as far as I know. From a Valve game to say, a UE4 project, then it's getting more grey.

2 hours ago, poLemin said:

Wow. You really nailed the Austrian architecture with the buildings in the background. And I love the little detail of adding custom decals for Austrian street signs. And the beer bottles in public places! I feel so home when looking at it. Great work!

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, Squad said:

will this map be finished by the 20th? :D

The map itself is pretty much done, I think.

But unfortunately I'm still using some borrowed props from @Yanzl (lamp and cypress bush prop) and @Skybex (display dummies + clothes), so I can't publish it yet.

I will probably not be able to build something similar in time, because my Blender skills are still incredibly poor.

So this will take some time...

(Maybe I will just remove these props. I don't know...)