[CS:GO][WIP] de_sanchez

jd40

4 hours ago, Vaya said:

Did you add any horizontal hints? That's what this map needs more than anything. I'll review whats being rendered tonight :)

yeah I filled up the game area with horizontal hints but I'm thinking I made them too high and they see into far off vertical hints.

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, jd40 said:

So the map is now fully detailed (workshop has been updated). I've got some problems getting these areas to look right anyone got any tips?

Xu49hQS.jpg

Ryo5rpp.jpg

You could try removing the big red lines, they just seem a bit incongruous with the overall theme. Other than that I think it looks very nice.

Thanks for testing everyone

Somebody asked about lighting. Here's some screenshots of what I tried so far

vYgzYNs.jpg

P6oNk0y.jpg

s1Am5um.jpg

That last pic is from yesterdays playtest, but I've increased the sun angle a bit since. The reason I chose this over the second pic is shadow advantage for CTs.

Other changes:

• Breakable window on B short is now not breakable
  • CT spawn had some room for optimization but T is as good as it gets
  • Added some wires hanging throughout the map
  • Fixed bombstuck and floating barrel at mid
  • Fixed some clipping and loose nodraws, hopefully more when I get chat transcript or demo
  • Added glowsticks at the bottom of A site elevator shaft.

The last thing to do left is soundscapes.

Edited by jd40

On 13/03/2017 at 1:03 PM, jd40 said:

So the map is now fully detailed (workshop has been updated). I've got some problems getting these areas to look right anyone got any tips?

I think if you removed the lighting in the upper area, and increased the lights in the lower area (as well as use a lighter floor texture, these are so 2004) this would improve the look a lot. Some spots would be great. I haven't played the map yet so I don't know if the upper area is walkable or not. Usually area that aren't walkable should have less contrast and should be less lit. Here it's the same color/lighting everywhere so nothing really catch the eye. Just my 2 cents.
The second screen is fine but some more rocks and grass wouldn't hurt I guess. EDIT: also add some leaves under the tree

Edited by Klems

5 hours ago, Vaya said:

you can increase the optimisations massively by moving high up models into the skybox. this will stop large areas of the map being drawn at once.

That might make the optimization worse. As all objects in the skybox are rendered if a player can see a 3d_skybox texture.

It might be best to be aggressive with horizontal hints and area portals.

On 3/24/2017 at 5:02 PM, Klems said:

I think if you removed the lighting in the upper area, and increased the lights in the lower area (as well as use a lighter floor texture, these are so 2004) this would improve the look a lot. Some spots would be great. I haven't played the map yet so I don't know if the upper area is walkable or not. Usually area that aren't walkable should have less contrast and should be less lit. Here it's the same color/lighting everywhere so nothing really catch the eye. Just my 2 cents.
The second screen is fine but some more rocks and grass wouldn't hurt I guess. EDIT: also add some leaves under the tree

thanks for the tips! I think it's an improvement, maybe the floor texture is a little too clean

aIJ4jlZ.jpg

Edited by jd40

On 3/24/2017 at 7:36 PM, MaanMan said:

That might make the optimization worse. As all objects in the skybox are rendered if a player can see a 3d_skybox texture.

It might be best to be aggressive with horizontal hints and area portals.

rendering a couple extra low poly models in the skybox vs entire large areas of the map. Would need to be tested but I'm pretty sure it would help the frames dips.

On 25-3-2017 at 10:36 PM, Vaya said:

rendering a couple extra low poly models in the skybox vs entire large areas of the map. Would need to be tested but I'm pretty sure it would help the frames dips.

Large areas in the map being redered isn't caused by high up props. Horizontal hints are the way to go to optimise.