What are you playing now?

Sentura

since it's holidays and I finally got some time to play games I'm going through some big releases this year.

I finished Inside, but it didn't do that much for me. It felt like it borrowed heavily from Half Life 2, borrowed some things from Half Life 1 then turned into Katamari Damacy for the last 30 mins of the game. I still don't know what they wanted to say with that last part, it was just weird. A lot of the parts felt very scripted and that made the world lose its authenticity, which I feel should never happen in a game that relies so hard on said authenticity to tell a story. I felt the same loss of authenticity with the 2D sidescrolling part - if I can just conveniently remove an oncoming threat by going right (or left) then the threat just doesn't feel real after a few attempts (hi dogs). 

There's also quite a few places where I felt lost because the level design didn't describe the problems/puzzles well enough, so I just went around in circles trying everything until I found the solution. On the plus side I liked the minimalist presentation and the fact they made some of the environments have real depth even with simple colors and lighting. And also the shockwave area was pretty fun (even though I have no idea what it was about).

I started playing the new Deus Ex, took me a while to get back to the controls and the settings. Maybe it's because I got older, but I feel like certain elements of the game are more grating now. Like the switch between first and third person constantly just becomes tedious. I would much rather keep it third person all the time because I would feel like I have the better overview of what's going on... and because some 6 hours in I still haven't fired or plan to fire a single weapon. I really want to play this game on a controller, but because the camera shifting like it does and the game's constant complex mechanics, it feels like the game just doesn't want to let me.

Also, you know you're getting old when you stop to admire the kitchen in Jensen's apartment

Here's hoping I can make this and the new Doom before the year is over.

Edited by Sentura

Finished the new Deus Ex, was enjoyable despite the camera issue. Gameplay felt great in the main areas and the side missions. Wasn't too much of a fan of some of the main missions, but those were in the minority. I didn't feel the whole story was comprehensive, and the ending was a bit meh since there were so many loose ends that weren't tied up. Also in some places I didn't feel the level design was the best because guards were able to see me despite me being far past their patrol areas. Oh and the loading times between levels was way above what it should be. Anyway. nothing gamebreaking. Overall a nice experience that took me back to the original game and even had some of the original thief influence in the design.

Playing the new Doom now. So far I'm liking it, combat doesn't seem to cause too much fatigue because you can do the glory kills and it's refreshing not having to sit behind cover waiting your turn since every demon is a health kit smuggler. My one negative is that it seems to require a LOT of processing power in some areas. Some places drops me down to 5-10 fps while it seems for the remainder I'm hovering around 45 (which is entirely manageable). Oh and I kinda wish the story wouldn't take itself so seriously.

On 30/12/2016 at 7:24 PM, Radu said:

I finally get to play this game - appropriate music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JTXxyqIeA

U6lOfay.jpg

Jeez i never finished it! ?

You playing co-op or you just got the first screen you found?

~

How far you got in Doom @Sentura? I remember dropping fps for me as well but only in quite advanced maps. I only have a 970M and runs on pretty high settings. Also seems works best in Vulkan so maybe try to enable that if you have the support.

According to the recent interviews story doesn't take itself seriously at all, should just be a parody… I think it's more annoying in replays because you can't skip sequences (unless you pay the highest difficulty)

4 hours ago, blackdog said:

Jeez i never finished it! ?

You playing co-op or you just got the first screen you found?

~

How far you got in Doom @Sentura? I remember dropping fps for me as well but only in quite advanced maps. I only have a 970M and runs on pretty high settings. Also seems works best in Vulkan so maybe try to enable that if you have the support.

According to the recent interviews story doesn't take itself seriously at all, should just be a parody… I think it's more annoying in replays because you can't skip sequences (unless you pay the highest difficulty)

About the story taking itself too seriously: I'm just going by what the in-game dialogue is. I've noticed the text on the loading screens is way more over the top, which is great and hilarious. I guess there isn't a happy medium

Picked up Destiny: The Collection this week to play with a friend who has been playing the past couple of years. It's an enjoyable experience but I am not 100% sold on it (of course, I am only level 21). I am playing on the PS4 - and the controls feel too tight on the horizontal look (left-right) compared to the other FPS's I am playing right now (Titanfall 2 and Doom). This creates a problem for me where I expect to turn faster than I can. Different games being different, I feel like this is something that just simply misses the mark (especially when my vertical sensitivity is perfectly fine at higher sensitivities). Maybe once I do a raid it will be different.

My girlfriend got me a PS4 with Mafia 3 for Christmas. I renewed my PS+ subscription and bought Ratchet and Clank so I'm playing through those when I'm on my couch. 

My girlfriend also got me BF1 for an upcoming birthday so I'm playing a lot of that whilst on my PC. Loving it, she's done well :D

On 12/30/2016 at 9:24 PM, Radu said:

I finally get to play this game - appropriate music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JTXxyqIeA

U6lOfay.jpg

Hurk was a hilarious dumbass

Spoiler

Hurk (to Ajay): YEEAAHH...Let's go and kick some Golden path ass...

Golden path soldier (sitting in front of him): but...we are the Golden path

Hurk: Oh yeah, I mean the Royal Army...whatever

:D

Hope you enjoy the game, story was much more solid than FC3 and that douchebag Brody

Got Darkest Dungeon and Tomb Raider on the Winter Sale.

Played a few mins of Tomb Raider just to try. Seems hella-cool. I'm looking for that rollercoaster thrill ride.

Darkest Dungeon is fucking badass. The format and setup is simple but a lot of complex situations spring from these. Reminds me a bit of Xcom.

So, due to some video i saw on youtube i got Dead Rising 1 on PS4, it's suposed to be one of those oldie but goldie kind of games, and fuck me it's fun.

I haven't laughed this hard playing a game in a while. Choping a zombies arm and stuffing it into his mouth so he can't bite never gets old, neither does warming up a pan and frie zombies faces off or throwing CDs at zombies inside a music shop... like, why didn't i play this before  ahah

Oh and, run out of guns? You can spit on zombies. Because. :D

I got back into Crusader Kings II after christmas. It's so entertaining what stories the game throws at you. I don't know any game that is comparable. Even struggling and failing can be fun. On one occasion i got a brand new heir with great martial skills. I prepared a long planned war to become emporer of the HRE then the idiot dies during first day of battle GOT style and leaves me with his 7 year old daughter to keep the kingdom together.

Then i had a dynasty leader who in his youth had two "witches" as lovers with whom he produced a bunch of bastard childs before he turned a raving homosexual, catching lovers pox and syphilis. He also was a heretic, lunatic and absolute madman in general who murdered children during full moon nights and made a horse his chancellor. To become emperor he swore fealthy to some large eastern nomad tribe and overthrew them from within in less then a year.

Edited by Steppenwolf