WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Marcos

I felt like I rushed my previous version of my map. I decided to sit down all day and rework it. I wasn't happy with how it was previously, so I came up with this. I fell much better about this version as the slightly flood areas that are part of the theme are incorporated more, and the areas are more defined. 

de_monsoon_overview.jpg

Setin, I could be wrong, but it looks like your map has a LOT of routes. Also, it looks quite hard for ct's to rotate between bombsites. THey have to go back to ct spawn or push and take the Terrorist route.

I admire the attention to detail you put into your layout though! I need to do that for my next project... :)

mine always end up looking like a 5 years old drawing....

Edited by tr0nic

@ tr0nic

Ya, I've been looking at it a lot and have started bsp'ing it out. There isn't a lot of routes, but it does feel somewhat confusing. I'm thinking of moving T spawn to the right and back slightly. I'm also thinking of getting rid of the ramp down to mid right in front of T spawn and moving the one from mid to B in the lower right down slightly. This would get rid of one more route and would centralize things better on the T side of the map. 

On the point of CT rotation, I wanted it to be different than regular figure 8 layouts where there are routes to everywhere from mid basically. Bombsite B is kind of like de_inferno in how that it can only be reached from banana and CT spawn, mine can only be reached through CT spawn and T's path to B.

My layouts also usually end up looking like a 5 year old's drawing. My first couple of versions of this were mostly hastily drawn out on paper a few times and then a bit more thought out on grid. I felt though that with that hastiness, the layout wasn't as thought out and I didn't feel as committed to the project. So I decided to slow it down and do it in Photoshop. It took me a lot longer to do, but I feel that this version is much better and was worth the time.

Here is a picture with the routes highlighted in red, The route changes that I mentioned above for T are the blue lines, and the blue circles are the expected CT defense spots. One CT covers top A, one lower. One covers mid (he has view of the bridge [darker red line over mid] as well and can call/cover that too). One CT covers the tunnel and boost (darker red line) at lower B and one covers upper. Rotating from A to B may take longer, but the paths are much wider to get there, allowing for an easier take. Rotating from B to A there are more paths/entrances, but they all have narrower paths which are easier to defend. 

de_monsoon_overview_routes.jpg

Working on a climb (kreedz) map for cs:go; porting kz_man_everest from 1.6 to go.

Part of the internal cave structure; lighting needs work.

2013_07_30_00003_SMALL.jpg

Brightness cranked up a notch via Photoshop here;

2013_07_30_00001_small.jpg

Both the inner caves and outer mountain structures are quite blocky/square cause the map came from 1.6. I'm currently in doubt if I want to use displacements on tons of surfaces to create a bit more realistic shape here and there, I am however in doubt if this will cause performance issues.

You can have pretty much as many displacements you want and FPS will barely be affected.  However, they bloat the ever living shit out of the filesize and no one wants to sit around and wait while a 200+mb map downloads from a server. What you have so far doesnt seem like it would be too much of a problem though.

Edited by JeanPaul

The insides aren't that bad indeed, but the main outer structure is this:

1_original.jpg

Right after decompile in Hammer;

man_everest.jpg

Hence I wonder if I should go on with it, I kinda realized too late that I should have been using displacements from the start in certain areas, I went ahead without any planning ;-) Perhaps I'll leave it in brushes to 'honor' the original map. It's a port after all.. :X

Edited by Spherix