Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Nice to see some new stuff from you Helder :) I already like it so far, but here are some random thoughts that could add to the scene, imho.

- the trees in the background are simple planes, right? I don't think they work very well from this distance. They would be ok for vistas, but from this close it looks to fake.
- the metal beam at the corner is clipping through the ceiling. I also don't like those repeating 45degree angled bevels you added there. Makes it look kind of sci-fi. Just keep it bland, you don't need to add details everywhere :)
- the broken holes in the ceiling look too low poly, imo. Adding edge decals and cracks would help i guess.
- i think the moss is maybe a bit too randomly placed?
- that bit root coming from the ceiling hole looks kind of out of place. I'm just wondering where it comes from.
- windows are way too clean. For the ceiling windows I would add fallen leaves on them.
- add water/droplets coming out of the broken pipe and place a puddle stream there leading to the broken hole in the ground. Would break up the concrete ground a little, imo.
- I think there are too many X-shaped beams at the wall. I like the big ones, but would get rid of the small ones underneath the windows.
- Some more leaks and dirt spots for the concrete, which looks a little to greyish and bland
- I see you added some blue/red paint splashes at the walls. I really like them, because they spice up the scene colorwise. I would make them stronger though and only use 1 color (get rid of the red or blue). Here's a ref image

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C-CxKcaalXo/UBJV0B0a9DI/AAAAAAAABeY/LRahKIFpRSQ/s400/Graffiti_in_old_warehouse_by_Vovkun.jpg

- That's a red metal door at the wall, right? because at first I thought it's a little room with red light. could be just me being stupid. There's also a samll gap at the right side and you can see the outside.
- is this scene supposed to be a warhouse? or a hangar for planes? or something else? it's a bit hard to say. Maybe add apropriate assets, small props to make that clearer.
- since this is an abandoned place, add some animals like birds to give it more life.
- the vegetation is a bit too much of the same green. some colorvariations of the leaves would help, imo.

Not sure if this was just a test scene where you wanted to try out new techniques/workflows and a new engine. I would definitely continue working on it and finish it!
Oh and for your next scene, please chose a more appealing scenario...I've already seen too many warehouses :P

Absolutely fantastic list of feedback Robert, thanks so much!!

As for the choice of scenario, I guess it's very evident I worked on this with no direction whatsoever, I just made random assets and built something and I guess it shows. This simply started as a test scene that in the last week or so kinda grew to be something that might be presentable but the underlying problem is still there, it lacks direction. It can however, like you said, be patched and themed further with some themed assets. :)

I already learnt so much I am very looking forward to start something else with a proper direction this time around and not just slap shit around randomly, but feedback has been positive enough, I'll finish this.

Thanks again man, I really appreciate it.

Anyways, since there's that big puddle of water, maybe it would fit to put some water dripping from the ceiling?

dripping water is still on the checklist, currently there's only a bad looking udk material on the particle effect, so nothing to show yet.

What I'm asking myself is how there can be such a pool of water inside a hangar, unless the roof is broken... in which case there would be a light beam coming in too, or something.

Well, I guess there are some parts of the roof which aren't welded seamlessly. So there isn't any large hole, crack or something similar. Even if there would, it's quite a dark night and there wouldn't be so much light to pass through the roof.

I think I'm nearly ready to start polishing the tank and create a camera track for a video. So if you guys have any major criticism please let me know.

Current version:

random2p0ze1.jpg

Also, many times creepy means the feeling of being stuck in someplace small. Those windows give you a sense of freedom and kills the creepy look, fuzzy them up or board them with planks.

Given the visible sky outside, my impression is to be on a (very) elevated floor, so not much a route of escape.

Anyways, it's a good point; to prevent escape there could be bars at the windows... and one window could be broken from outside, enriching the scene with details like broken glass and wood, a curtain fluttering in the wind, plus giving the impression something gotten in. (I'm kinda projecting the scene in how I pictured Dracula's castle corridors, particularly the chapter when Harker looks for an escape through the high windows and sees the vampiresses clinching on the walls.)

Edited by blackdog

I think the scene also needs some sort of center piece, since I don't wanna spend too much extra time on this, i grabbed an old asset I made a while ago and retrofitted it to the scene.

I'm thinking about having a intact but rotten version of this little bot somewhere in a corner of the scene with some cloth on top of it as well to add material variety.

McbXCqd.jpg

oNuJWud.jpg

I'm thinking about having a intact but rotten version of this little bot somewhere in a corner of the scene with some cloth on top of it as well to add material variety.

Sounds good, what about building a crane with something like an engine dangling from it? It could look like an old workshop.

McbXCqd.jpg

Well well, can't fine much to criticize... Am I right that there's still some Udk content in the scene (e.g. the fence on the right background, the grass)? If so I would like to see those assets remade, so there's only custom content in the scene ;)

Looking great, but I'm a bit confused about the story of the place. If it's a warehouse to store those bots (since you mention adding one under cloth, I'd assume you mean it's stored in a corner somewhere and covered with some protective cloth), then why does that one look like it's fallen from the sky and broke the concrete ground, or burst through the wall on the side flying? Dunno if you went as far as imagining the purpose of the place or if it's just about look & feel, but that's important too IMO :)

Yeah I don't really get how that thing has broken up the floor. Fair enough having a focal piece but I don't think this really makes sense. Maybe if there was a crane overhead and it fell from the crane as it was being transported, and smashed all the ground up? Still though that is rather a lot of debris and rubble.

So I've been tinkering with the scene a little more and I've decided to go a bit more creepy with it, and changed it to night lighting. Still just roughing out ideas, I need to start a topic! Also, I really need to sort out my monitors. One of my monitors has a lot more contrast and saturation, I'm not sure which is the correct one now..

corridor_wip_night_01a.jpg

corridor_wip_night_01b.jpg

I don't know what's your goal with this scene, so if you are doing it as an study or just for fun ignore my post. If this is going to be a portfolio piece, read on.

* First of all, the scene is very generic and boring, it has no elements that make it memorable. One way to improve this is to actually define what the theme is. "Creepy hallway" is very generic, you need something a bit more specific such as abandoned hotel, haunted victorian mansion, etc... the more specific the more memorable your piece is going to be. If you can come up with a little story then it's even better.

* The scene doesn't look like a "game environment", there's nothing in it it that makes me think it could be in a game other than the engine it's being rendered. Maybe you could add some other rooms/areas to make it more interesting? Maybe a few cover pieces? Try to add elements that show you are a game developer and not just a 3d artist.

* I know the scene is still very early but the lighting is super flat. As of now, the exterior light source is pretty much your main point of interest, so I'd suggest adding point lights to fake some volume. Make the interior look like it's being flooded by the exterior light. A good reference for interesting hallways is the RE6 demo, try it out if you haven't already. Oh and Last of Us has some cool interior lighting too.

* Ambient is very dark, I can barely see your texture work/geometry.

* Some height variation would be cool even if it's just a few stairs or different ceiling heights.

Hope that helps :)

So I've been tinkering with the scene a little more and I've decided to go a bit more creepy with it, and changed it to night lighting. Still just roughing out ideas, I need to start a topic! Also, I really need to sort out my monitors. One of my monitors has a lot more contrast and saturation, I'm not sure which is the correct one now..

corridor_wip_night_01a.jpg

corridor_wip_night_01b.jpg

I don't know what's your goal with this scene, so if you are doing it as an study or just for fun ignore my post. If this is going to be a portfolio piece, read on.

* First of all, the scene is very generic and boring, it has no elements that make it memorable. One way to improve this is to actually define what the theme is. "Creepy hallway" is very generic, you need something a bit more specific such as abandoned hotel, haunted victorian mansion, etc... the more specific the more memorable your piece is going to be. If you can come up with a little story then it's even better.

* The scene doesn't look like a "game environment", there's nothing in it it that makes me think it could be in a game other than the engine it's being rendered. Maybe you could add some other rooms/areas to make it more interesting? Maybe a few cover pieces? Try to add elements that show you are a game developer and not just a 3d artist.

* I know the scene is still very early but the lighting is super flat. As of now, the exterior light source is pretty much your main point of interest, so I'd suggest adding point lights to fake some volume. Make the interior look like it's being flooded by the exterior light. A good reference for interesting hallways is the RE6 demo, try it out if you haven't already. Oh and Last of Us has some cool interior lighting too.

* Ambient is very dark, I can barely see your texture work/geometry.

* Some height variation would be cool even if it's just a few stairs or different ceiling heights.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers for the feedback man. Pretty much all those points are on my list of things to do, I was just setting up the scene with a few simple pieces first to get to grips with Cryengine. I plan on adding a stairwell area, and modelling the interior of one of the apartments.

Here's a WIP from the weekend. Just been messing with the ambience. Still have a lot of work to do on the floor/ceiling, and of course props and stuff, but I want to start blocking out the stairwell/room area next. I'm also planning on doing some audio work for this scene too; I want to practice some non-3d stuff too!

corridor_wip_night_02a.jpg

Edited by PogoP