Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

Hey all!

Here is a quick update!

slumstoscrapers21.jpg?w=700&h=
holygratesbatman.jpg?w=700&h=hmmthisisfamiliar.jpg?w=700&h=redflag1.jpg?w=700&h=

I flew to Greece this morning and I am currently sitting on a veranda overlooking the Agean Sea! Unfortunately these screenshots represent the last work I will be able to do on Despos until august, so no more updates relating to that for a while. 

But more on that in a weeks time, meanwhile, I’m just going to enjoy my holiday!

Oh, and here is a picture of Despos’ current layout, for your delight.

desposlayout.jpg

George, Signing out!

Hello! I'm working on my first CS:GO map, de_sake,  and after some layout testing I began detail work a few days ago. Here's what that looks like so far.

U5WS4Sb.png?1

They style of the map is going to be similar to an abandoned mill/nuke so lots of rust/brick textures. Gameplay wise I want there to be lots of wallbangs/weak cover so sheet metal brushes and hollow boxes are strewn about. I'm slowly eliminating as much prop based cover as I can so i have better control of this. B is a little more seculded and has a harder rotation then A, but a more difficult uphill rout to assault. Here's a layout with rout and first encounter areas highlighted. Right now the entrance into A yard sort of mirrors the entrance to B site. Something I'm currently not proud of. I Plan on reworking it a bit.

A is placed farther back in the map with more entrances  I'm currently learning how to make my own blend textures to give a little more life to the map (mostly dirt/grass on cement). So far I've detailed most of B. Here's what it looks like so far.

66Icteph.jpg

This is T-Street. It brances off of mid and leads to B. The stone building is B-Apartments and my first ever detail work =D

dpI4UtMh.jpg

There's more cover but a lot of risk rushing this way with the CT window overlooking the narrow hallway. Proud of the support beam work. =D. The doors are overlays with homemade frames.The battle gives T's a good view into B-side but with lot's of risk do to it's small size.

mcqDqR7h.jpg

Farther up you'll find the ramp up to B-site level. Accidently ate the light that was at the top.

KW0f6gSh.jpg

If you chose not to take the appartment route you'll have to use B-steps. A much wider but less covered route to attack from. This car is the only sparce lower area cover.

zM6PEd0h.jpg

Here's B-Steps. Homemeade rail. The double door is an overlay.

ngOsa0Nh.jpg

The detail work on the brick factory. Concrete floor suppots. Windows are textured. I think this needs more windows.

JtURWzTh.jpg

CT Looking down B-Ramp.

Lcww6jHh.jpg

Rust shack and back alley on the CT side of the B Bombsite (bomb plants go about the bottom left corner in this screen shot). Thin walls make wall bang's possiable.

ZaFiO7ch.jpg

Opposite corner. The garage is slightly open to encourange wallbangs. Also makes a nifty spot for popflashes.

12bKFwKh.jpg

CT entrance to Office, the drop down spot into B site from mid. You can use the ramp or jump up the side of the pipes.

RtEpBUJh.jpg

Not gonna lie. Kind of a crappy office. Windows and Door are props in this one.

qKYlO5Eh.jpg

I call this spooky. It goes to mid. The outside jagged brushes are breakable so you can fit more then one person though shoudl you want.

EGomrjDh.jpg

To get into spooky from mid you have to enter a vent. This is the site that greets T's once they get in. Makeshift ladder with the support beams.

tpp6cM3h.jpg

And up that ladder is this. And that's why I call it spooky. Around that left corner is office. EDIT: got to fix repeating textures here >_>

And that's about where I am so far. I'm going to start detailing mid and the opposite wall on T-road. Im still learning how to work with props and overlays. I've done layouts for a few maps in the past (in TF2 mainly),  but this is the first time I've moved on to texturing and detail so it's been quite the learning experience. I'm having a lot of fun and it's a very rewarding process. If you have any tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them. =)

EDIT: Here's a flat overview to give a better idea of the routs and negative space. I feel like there should be a little more negative A side but I'll probably work that in with brushs/props later.

YjwcXOI.png?1?3905

EDITEDIT: Some more bits. T Rush timers to either a or b are about the same at 16 seconds. CT's have an easier rotation to the back of sites at about 10 seconds. However these spots are easier to counter so moving behind the t-side of the site is required which comes out to 16 seconds for at least one CT. I expect the map to slightly CT sided atm. I'm somewhat OK with that but it will take a lot more testing before I really know.

You can download the layout version here (no textures). Please feel free to test it out if you'd like. I could use the gameplay input. Note that a lot of the prop based cover has been replaced with brush based.

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Currently making a small environment with 100% custom content for the presentation of my tank model. Nothing really finished, but I still would like to get some feedback:

random3ybui6.jpg

i'd calm those lens flares just a tiny bit and put a slight hint of blue in the lights - especially on the flares. I'd also make sure the flares are matching the shape of the lights properly, right now they aren't lining up all the way with the mesh (some positioning and widening the texture could help).  lower the intensity of the white in your rain particles, its a bit too much and looks like brush strokes.

Also, trims man. trims where the hull meets the ground. 

i see no gloss on your tank.  Maybe it's not what you're going for, but that big puddle on the ground screams that the tank would have some gloss on it too, even if it's covered, it just doesn't go well together.your asphalt is also scaled quiet large, the texel density makes your vehicle look smaller than it should be.  

more props around and all those other tid bits i'm sure you're aware of :)

Thanks for the reply, totally agree with your points. But what exactly do you mean by "gloss on the tank"? I presume that you want making the tank itself beeing wet from the rain instead of using a gloss map, don't you ;) ?

What engine is that scene being rendered in? If it were me, I would add a bit of fog to the scene, introduce more contrasting elements and perhaps add some form of "Depth of Field" effect, and blur the background.

More Detail:

I think that overall at the moment the scene looks a bit bland, the shadows under the tank and around the edges of the scene should be much darker, and overall it is just too bluey-grey at the moment. I would reduce the radius of your lightsources vastly. I also cannot tell whether you are using a specular map on the tank or not, and you definitely should be. 

Also, are you using ambient occlusion in the scene? Because it would add a lot.

In general it just looks a bit empty, perhaps the addition of a bit of clutter around the edges would help a bit.

Where the tunnel mesh meets the floor there is an obvious and very unrealistic edge, which should not exist.

I hope you take what I say on board, and the models look great, the presentation needs a little work though.

What engine is that scene being rendered in? If it were me, I would add a bit of fog to the scene, introduce more contrasting elements and perhaps add some form of "Depth of Field" effect, and blur the background.

More Detail:

I think that overall at the moment the scene looks a bit bland, the shadows under the tank and around the edges of the scene should be much darker, and overall it is just too bluey-grey at the moment. I would reduce the radius of your lightsources vastly. I also cannot tell whether you are using a specular map on the tank or not, and you definitely should be. 

Also, are you using ambient occlusion in the scene? Because it would add a lot.

In general it just looks a bit empty, perhaps the addition of a bit of clutter around the edges would help a bit.

Where the tunnel mesh meets the floor there is an obvious and very unrealistic edge, which should not exist.

I hope you take what I say on board, and the models look great, the presentation needs a little work though.

Hehe, yeah well actually it's not a tunnel but some kind of hangar :P

Anyway- I should add some more details on the scene, indeed. Also I already tried Dof but simply forgot to turn it back on when I was making that screenshot >.<

But I think I won't use the AO within the engine because the Ao in the Udk (the engine it's rendered in) isn't that great... actually it is really bad. I might can fix some things to make it look better, but... well I'm not such sure about it right now.

Already got another feedback that my previous version was just to dark, so I brightened it up just lately. I'm also not sure if I'm fine with it right now....

Thanks for the feedback, I'm clearly going to take most of it into the next update ;)

The shadow under the tank is pretty weak imo. It looks almost like one of the water stains on the pavement.

Yeah indeed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone- I haven't implanted all of your feedback today, evenso I hope I could get rid of most of the key problems with the lighting and the shadow of the tank. I'm still going to continue working on it to fix/add the rest of your feedback as well.

Still to do:

Adding more stuff around the tank to make the hangar looking less empty and... well, more like a hangar^^ I'm also going to work on the area where the wall meets the ground, to get a better transition between both of them. Oh and I'll also try to add some fog particle later on as well.

So, here's the current version:

random164qr6.jpg

Edited by Fuzyhead

Better with the trims.

A bit too dark now?

(I'm no env artist so please comment on my opinion)

I don't totally agree with the argument about the APC shadow: lights are not positioned right above it, it stands tall on the ground, the hull has a V shape, so light easily bounce underneath... these are the couple of most similar shots i've found on google #1 #2. So i'm not saying now it's wrong and was better before, but something in between. Older shot really captured the same strong shadow directly underneath and softer gradient, seems to me; also the older shot looked plausible to me, if there was something like a spotlight pointing at the APC from directly above the camera, in that case it could have been elaborated and made believable with some FX in foreground, and a darker background (the area between the APC and entrance).

Anyways, since there's that big puddle of water, maybe it would fit to put some water dripping from the ceiling?

Hey everyone! First post here. Wanted to get your opinion on a new map for CSGO I've started working on. Got the layout done and bsp'd it out really quick. 

I wanted to make a competitive map and hope to accomplish that with this one, de_monsoon. The idea behind the map is that it is during a monsoon on a south Pacific island, there is rain coming down like in de_aztec - the visibility is still high though. There is also thunder every 20-30 seconds.

There would be buildings like in de_dust2 in a southeastern Pacific theme all around the map. There would also be a ton of foliage with palm trees and other plants. The lower areas of the map are flooded (sewer and mid street). I wanted to try and get away from the regular figure of eight pattern and tried making a different layout that would still be fun and work competitively. I've made it so where A has less entrances into the bomb site but more overall paths to it, while player that go to B have to commit to it, but are rewarded with more paths into the site. I wanted the main area of the map, the street to but a high point of contention between the teams, so there are many ways to get to it and paths that lead to it. 

I've still got a long way to go. I hope to keep you updated as I progress. 

de_monsoon_overview.jpg

Overview Layout

2013-07-26_00001.jpg

T- Spawn

2013-07-26_00003.jpg

Street view from T side

2013-07-26_00004.jpg

Peak spot view of Street from CT side (This already seems OP to me and I may take this out)

2013-07-26_00005.jpg

View of Bombsite A from near the doors on CT side

Edited by Setin

concept of a logo for my game... just a concept still, might change it

1ae8d6c0f59f11e2b09522000a1fb25d_7.jpg

I like it, i would just not shape the inside of the "A" like an arrow, since all the other things are cut straight, i'd remove totally the horizontal piece of the letter, or cut it diagonally.

concept of a logo for my game... just a concept still, might change it

1ae8d6c0f59f11e2b09522000a1fb25d_7.jpg

I like it, i would just not shape the inside of the "A" like an arrow, since all the other things are cut straight, i'd remove totally the horizontal piece of the letter, or cut it diagonally.

Thanks for the feedback!

That's funny, because a previous concept of the A was exactly as you mentioned: with the horizontal line cut. I should have kept that then haha

I applied many principles of Gestalt on this logo, as the game is about it. But it may have turned out a bit too serious in comparison to the game, so I'll have to make more concepts of it ;P

:)