Valorant

Radu

I’ll come across as entitled and judgmental, but I’m never touching a game from Riot. We’ve been talking about Blizzard recently but they are even worse. Apart from releasing an uncalled statement the other day, just to clarify they’d do the same as Blizzard pretty much, they have an history of abuse towards their own employees.

https://www.ccn.com/riot-games-scandal-exposes-league-of-legends-creators-true-colors/

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483/amp

Edited by blackdog

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

I’ll come across as entitled and judgmental, but I’m never touching a game from Riot. We’ve been talking about Blizzard recently but they are even worse. Apart from releasing an uncalled statement the other day, just to clarify they’d do the same as Blizzard pretty much, they have an history of abuse towards their own employees.

https://www.ccn.com/riot-games-scandal-exposes-league-of-legends-creators-true-colors/

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483/amp

Haha dude come on.

Its weird how most of the video they very much use buzzwords from the CSGO scene as if this is supposed to be a competitor with it, when its very clearly an Overwatch competitor. Literally nothing we've been shown so far indicates this has anything CS players are looking for beyond a vague sense of "competition" that nearly every new game has these days.

7 hours ago, blackdog said:

What?

Who?

Srsly though LoL is still one of the biggest games in the scene so I'm sure Riot's renown is gonna help them sell this thing. "The new game from the guys who made LoL" is bound to turn a few heads...

Obviously this is an attempt to snatch some of the CSGO market, with the gunplay and the "fixing bugs and preventing cheats is our priority ?" thing, while also jumping on the near-future hero shooter bandwagon. We'll see if that pans out next year!

Well that was a whole lot of PR speech. This just made me realize how much "competitive" is the hottest meaningless impressive-sounding marketable term right now... what does "competitive" even say about a game? That it's multiplayer and there's a winner and loser at the end of a match? Well so is fckin Scrabble then?!

Also, loving that bootleg Overwatch theme at the end 2:36 lmao

@MikeGon My take on competitive:

-The game is inherently well balanced with minimal luck involved.

-There are viable and varied ways to react to the enemy's movements (abilities, utility, flanking, etc.)

-Collection of important information is possible at some level (audio ques, visual ques).

-Tying into the last two points, tactics could be the difference between winning and losing

-The game is fun to play and watch and is popular.

There are more game specific traits that make them competitive, but I think this represents a large number of competitive games.

Easy to play and hard to master usually covers quite a few of these bases if done in a fun way.

As for Project A, it is pretty audacious to say your game is competitive before the public even touches it. It feels like having flying abilities might ruin the pacing and turn it into the arcade that is overwatch. What are they bringing to the table?

Looking closer into the video, you can see what appears to be a buy menu + a radar in the top left of a screen. I suppose this is what they took from CS beyond "competitive play". If the hero class system is suppose to be this games utility while a buy menu where you choose weapons to use in a round, I think it could be more interesting then originally thought. A class based shooter with a build a class system on top is interesting.

Looking at the promo video, the main problem that sticks out to me is the art style. Yet another game set in a "near future" science fantasy world with a simple/cartoon ascetic. The one map they showed looks pretty dull and bland and what little we saw of the characters seems to follow the trend of cartoon styled games having characters that dont match the environment. Just like law breakers and paladins among others, the characters dont seem to fit with each other or the map ascetic. Say what you will about Overwatch but the characters in that game, with their default skins all look like they come from the same universe and flow well when put in a line up. They also fit their maps artstyles. Literally nothing I saw from the art looks like something I havnt seen before.

Truly Near-future science fantasy with cartoon ascetic is this decades dystopian past or future with grey brown grunge ascetic. I feel like in 5 years we are going to see some new refreshing art style and well look back at all these games that tried the current ascetic unsuccessfully, in the same way we look back now at the grey grunge ascetic. They'll all mesh into 1 forgettable game and few will look back fondly at them.

Also because its riot, you can bet that right off bat the art style will immediately be broken by god awful skins for the hero characters.

Edited by fewseb

Looking at the gameplay video, the game doesn't feel 'good' to play. Unlike CS or R6, the weapons shoot in a boring and weak way. The movement is also very static and basic. I predict that because its made in a newer engine, it probably won't have any of the complexities of Source. Of course it may be just because the walking animation is out of sync with the characters movement speed, but that wouldn't be a good sign either. I guess the game can make for a CS alternative for casual players, but I don't believe it will be able to defeat it competitively.

That movement looks very sluggish, even slower than R6. They pretty much only show one-shot headshot kills with perfect accuracy, which isn't a good sign to me. I hope it isn't so simple in gunplay that shooting at the body means "it will take 4 bullets instead of 1".

They also show a character throwing a "smokescreen" kinda thing. Having stuff like that be only for one class lowers the skill ceiling, you wouldn't be able to do complex executes if not everyone has the ability to throw smokes. The smokescreen also looked like a pretty direct throw with no bounce, where you couldn't learn any specific ones like in CS:GO.

Edit: oh yeah also revives are dumb

Edited by mtchromatic

The movement and the shotting phase reminds me a lot those f2p korean fps like Crossfire or Blackshot.
even the map reminds me the same thing, very close spaces.
the only difference is there are heroes like Overwatch.

Interesting approach to talk about netcode and cheaters as first video ... but I'm still not convinced.

6 hours ago, mtchromatic said:

They also show a character throwing a "smokescreen" kinda thing. Having stuff like that be only for one class lowers the skill ceiling, you wouldn't be able to do complex executes if not everyone has the ability to throw smokes.

I think you are mistaken, you can see two characters throwing the smoke (one has green one white), so I would imagine that’s like a perk if not standard equipment.

1 hour ago, Boccolotto said:

The movement and the shotting phase reminds me a lot those f2p korean fps like Crossfire or Blackshot.
even the map reminds me the same thing, very close spaces.
the only difference is there are heroes like Overwatch.

Interesting approach to talk about netcode and cheaters as first video ... but I'm still not convinced.

Well it’s Riot games, that’s the market they aim to so why should it feel different.

A bit surprised by the terminology used, but they are clearly targeting the hardcore crowd at this moment, just like Lawbreakers did, just in a different way.