Valorant

Radu

The art displayed is harmonious with those of the South East Asian cash cow games that sporadically appear all over the place (nexon, black squad, CS clones, etc.) Also did anyone get the overwhelming feeling that shotguns won't work like they do in the vid?

Edited by Interfearance

• 3 months later...

/meh

Comments are the best thing of this video

Counter-fortress 2 : The Overwatch

Oh csgo and overwatch had a baby

This looks really very generic!! Hoping it plays better than it looks.

Look like a game trying it best to not look like chinese mobile game but force of habbit win, they just cant

etc

last one i quoted ?

Edited by blackdog

• 1 month later...

Gameplay seems 'fun'.

Maps are alright, the two showcased have interesting ideas (three sites, teleporters), but each arena/room seems flat and boring. Also, no level editor or any other sense of community creation. I have a feeling its going to be like Overwatch, instead of the community making mods, maps, skins, etc. , it will be fanart and cosplays. Riot is probably going to run the esports scene too, since leagues can't create their own infrastructure.

Also this thread should probably be renamed VALORANT...

• 2 weeks later...

I got closed beta access and boy do I have problems:

1. All automatic weapons have a single spray pattern between them.

2. Armor works the same against all weapons, meaning there aren't tactical decisions you make based on your opponents economy.

3. Cosmetics that change players death animation are very distracting and shouldn't be in the game.

4. The maps feel incredibly bland because everything is on grid, and all the walls and crates are the same 64u scale.

5. There is very little synergy between each hero, making the game be more about solo play then working with your team.

6. This is my biggest issue with Valorant, I feel like the heroes take away the freedom a player has in CS. If you want to do trick jumps, you HAVE to play Jett/Raze. If you want to lurk behind the enemy, you HAVE to play Omen. This especially noticeable in the way Volcano talks about Jett. The inspiration comes from pro CS players who got really good at movement, so they made a character that allows you to copy those cool plays with one ability. (Meanwhile, the map design makes it so that only Jett is able to get to those places, because the map is to clean to allow for any other characters to do a trick jump.) On a basic level, I would say that CS encourages players to forge their own unique play style through discovery, while Valorant forces players to put themselves into one of 10 specific categories.

Overall, the game is like CS:GO with the skill floor dropped substantially down. The remaining question is how high the skill ceiling will go, which will most likely determine the games success as an e-sport.

P.S. Sorry for the long rant.

Edited by DMU222

46 minutes ago, DMU222 said:

I got closed beta access and boy do I have problems:

1. All automatic weapons have a single spray pattern between them.

2. Armor works the same against all weapons, meaning there aren't tactical decisions you make based on your opponents economy.

3. Cosmetics that change players death animation are very distracting and shouldn't be in the game.

4. The maps feel incredibly bland because everything is on grid, and all the walls and crates are the same 64u scale.

5. There is very little synergy between each hero, making the game be more about solo play then working with your team.

6. This is my biggest issue with Valorant, I feel like the heroes take away the freedom a player has in CS. If you want to do trick jumps, you HAVE to play Jett/Raze. If you want to lurk behind the enemy, you HAVE to play Omen. This especially noticeable in the way Volcano talks about Jett. The inspiration comes from pro CS players who got really good at movement, so they made a character that allows you to copy those cool plays with one ability. (Meanwhile, the map design makes it so that only Jett is able to get to those places, because the map is to clean to allow for any other characters to do a trick jump.) On a basic level, I would say that CS encourages players to forge their own unique play style through discovery, while Valorant forces players to put themselves into one of 10 specific categories.

Overall, the game is like CS:GO with the skill floor dropped substantially down. The remaining question is how high the skill ceiling will go, which will most likely determine the games success as an e-sport.

P.S. Sorry for the long rant.

I don't have access myself, but honestly I'm heartened by every negative response it gets. Everything about the game, from its initial concept and its marketing to the apparent lack of a level editor screams boring corporate greed to me. I'm especially relieved about point 6 above, as that confirms one of my initial problems with the concept and will hopefully ensure that CS:GO's player-base won't be disappearing anytime soon. I think it's great that Volcano got a well deserved level designer position on such a big title but at the same time, as somebody who once had aspirations in the same direction I can't help but feel like he's sold out -- the only comfort I take is that I'm sure he doesn't have the clout to make Riot release an editor, but I hope he's equally dismayed by their oversight.

2 hours ago, text_fish said:

apparent lack of a level editor

This one was a real puzzler. The rest of the game looks pretty solid, but with the maps they currently have, it seems like they need the community to create for them. The community is special in that they avoid the "corporate ladder" and approval process, so everything goes. The maps can be wild and adventurous with nothing on the line.

I have seen this story in many games now:

1. New competitive game advertised to be made by competitive game lovers to competitive game lovers.
2. Couple months after launch, new heroes start dropping.
3. Real balance updates start giving away to new hero dropping: Either full-on new heroes with no rebalance like Overwatch or everything gets rebalanced every 2 weeks to keep the game from being stale like in Rainbow Six Siege.
4. Therefore game loses all competitive integrity and becomes a Dota/LOL type of game with constant updates: If you cannot keep up with the updates, the game becomes unplayable. Also each hero has to be individually unlocked, so if you do not play or rather pay constantly, then you can't play the game competitively.
5. Basically, the game is no longer akin to a sport but more to a live service app like WoW. Because of this, the game's competitive community cannot stay alive without prize pools given by the company, which gets its money from people buying the heroes or skins. This means the game cannot stay alive without constant updates adding more heroes and skins.

Look at something like Counter Strike 1.6, Starcraft or Super Smash Bros Melee, 20+ year old games which are the classics with no updates that are still played competitively. These are what most would consider esports.
Do not get tricked into the live-service model just because it tries to steal the legacy of the classics not with competitive prowess, but by pulling part of it's revenue into competition prize pools and becoming a live-service model nobody can take as seriously as the classics it tries to replace.

Live-service competitive game. Such a great little scam, because people aren't wise enough to avoid it yet.

My personal prediction is that Valorant will be similar to Overwatch in how the game feels. Itll feel good with quirks for the first 6 months or so, then itll be really good for about a year, then the constant cycle of needing to add a new map or hero every other month to appease the hyper side of the playerbase will takes it tole on gameplay until even the biggest fans and pro players think its gone to full shit.

Ideally Riot would learn from Overwatch, but it doesnt seem that way. Im also not looking forward to the ultra pander cosmetics they seem to be hinting at, having death animation cosmetics is a low bar thats now been set.

19 hours ago, Interfearance said:

Not strictly related, but awesome video.

0:30 thoughts on valorant maps

6:48 thoughts on corporate ladder creating monotony in mapping

most of the vid shows his design process for aw maps if you are interested

Oh wow, he was a designer at Infinity Ward/Treyarch!? I would have never thought because of his character

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

I would have never thought because of his character

He actually took a break from his original "in character" youtube to level design on a whim. I get it, and a lot of the stuff he describes level design as is relatable. He has a passion for it. I think the clout he had helped him get noticed by sledgehammer games, but he designed some really good maps

Edited by Interfearance