The Steam Sale Thread

Furyo

On 6/26/2017 at 1:49 PM, [HP] said:

g9RQ6Qn.png

I'm trying to picture what formula would make that happen. Is it like the discount is the average of the 2 games and you already own limbo then they apply the price to inside? 

I feel like there's an engineer at Valve looking at that going "huh.........."

4 hours ago, AlexM said:

A couple questions about substance designer

This 1 year license thing. This really just means that you stop getting updates after 1 year right? It's not like features in the software get disabled do they? 

You own the software forever, you just stop receiving updates after 12 months from purchasing.

Edited by grapen

1 hour ago, grapen said:

You own the software forever, you just stop receiving updates after 12 months from purchasing.

I don't really understand why this is a thing. Or are they planning on releasing a new installment every 12 months, so they won't be updating old ones anyway?

Or are they just milking us?

Either way, think I'll wait and see if it drops down any further in the next sale, I can't currently justify spending the best part of a hundred quid on something that might be irrelevant in 12 months.

Edited by text_fish

40 minutes ago, text_fish said:

I don't really understand why this is a thing. Or are they planning on releasing a new installment every 12 months, so they won't be updating old ones anyway?

Or are they just milking us?

Either way, think I'll wait and see if it drops down any further in the next sale, I can't currently justify spending the best part of a hundred quid on something that might be irrelevant in 12 months.

They release new features every now and then. You get a decent upgrade discount (I got 50% off to upgrade from SD5 to SD6). The software you pay for now is very powerful and won't be irrelevant 12 months from now, you might not even want the new features they come up with. It's kind of/almost like Photoshop, some people are sitting on really old versions because they don't need the 2017 festures.

With the proper skills you will be able to create amazing stuff in SD6 for a long time, I mean it supports 8k bakes :)

Edited by grapen

I guess it's kind of the same for every software.

If you buy the Microsoft Office softwares (Word 2013 for example), you don't get a free update for a newer version.

Same thing with Windows basically ... oh ... well actually we got a free upgrade from 7/8 to 10 x)

And it's way better than some other softwares, at Work i'm using Catia and it's incredibly expensive. You have to pay every year for just using the software and any add-on is also really expensive and must be paid every year. It's an almost 20 years old software ! But it's great so we still using it ^^

Think of it as them changing the number on the end except that if it changes within a year you don't have to pay for the update. 

Anyways good to hear. I think I'm going to give it a go and play with it. All the artists at my work love it and I want to see what the fuss is about :)