Thrik

25 minutes ago, Vaya said:

take the GPU out and try booting

that got the pc running again.

so as a final damage report

• broken power supply 
  • broken GPU
  • also my keyboard broke

at least i can cheaply replace my keyboard, and that I also had a backup power supply.

just got to worry about the gpu replacement, good excuse to upgrade though!

(also, using the on screen keyboard is a nightmare)

3 minutes ago, Bastion said:

that got the pc running again.

so as a final damage report

• broken power supply 
  • broken GPU
  • also my keyboard broke

at least i can cheaply replace my keyboard, and that I also had a backup power supply.

just got to worry about the gpu replacement, good excuse to upgrade though!

(also, using the on screen keyboard is a nightmare)

Where are you buying your hardware? So that I can avoid the place :D

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to follow up on my PC state.

Replaced all parts that failed, new Power supply, new graphics card (minor downgrade, running with a 2gb card), and new keyboard.

Also, last pieces of furniture arrived, spent this weekend putting it all together, which are a new desk, bedside table and wardrobe. Quite a nice setup, will get some pictures later.

2 hours ago, Bastion said:

Forgot to follow up on my PC state.

Replaced all parts that failed, new Power supply, new graphics card (minor downgrade, running with a 2gb card), and new keyboard.

Also, last pieces of furniture arrived, spent this weekend putting it all together, which are a new desk, bedside table and wardrobe. Quite a nice setup, will get some pictures later.

I saw that you replied and now I'm kinda disappointed that you don't have new stories about everything around you turning into ash :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm completely lost. I've spent the last few months looking for a new job. Now I have two very different options I can't decide which one to pick. :???: 

The first one is in a big studio: 
+ as a level designer 
+ on a known franchise
- less paid than the other position (about 5k in the year) 
+ in a wonderful small city..
- but not a lot of culture places in it
+ with big company advantages 
- seems to propose not than much of a progression in the company 
- doesn't increase the salary a lot through the years (feedback from guys I know there)
=> sounds very secured but very static in term of perspectives
=> it opens my profil more to console and PC game dev

The second one is in a small studio:
/ as a mobile game designer
+ with a big budget manages by an old friend of mine that I trust 
+ to work with "celebrities"
- in a huge city (that I don't especially like) 
/ to build a project from almost from scratch
=> sounds risky but could have a lot of benefits
=> I'll definitely be a mobile game designer

I really don't know what to do. I'm supposed to answer them both tomorrow. It's a big deal. I don't know what's best, I don't know what I'd prefer in the future. I have no idea... I just know I don't want to move to another location in 10 months.:shake:

First, i just would like to tell you that it's great you have two opportunities that gives you a choice.

About the location, just look at where it is exactly. For where i live/work, i thought it was Paris but it's actually near Paris (Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines) and it's a nice place with greenspaces, a big lake, roads on which i'm still allowed to drive with my old car ^^ ... Really different from what i thought.

I feel like lots of (exciting) stuff hapened to you in the past two years and if i were you i know i wouldn't mind to settle a bit in a secured position for some time. You're still young and can still change your profile quite easily, in both case it won't force you to stay in a position for too long.

Both opportunities seems great, call your parents and friends and talk to them ;) (with your voice). It will help you to understand what you really want.

Edited by leplubodeslapin

1 hour ago, Vilham said:

Honestly at the beginning of my career I would take the job that makes my CV look as good as possible. It will give you more possibilities later in your career.

This, plus I usually opted for gigs who could help my long term goals. Turned out it was the best thing I could have done, career wise.