Doom (4)

Sprony

holy shit this looks good. It's like the very best of Doom 2 and Duke3d, wow. I love its use of having 'dated' graphics on modern hardware lets it be way more liberal with effects and their being persistent. The few times where he backtracks through a level and it's still completely covered in blood, gore, smoke, and fire? So good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I liked the horror direction Doom 3 and spin offs took. I never played the originals, but were they meant to be action / horror / what? I was never too sure.

Either way, teaser typically gives nothing away other than the return of the super shotgun and the revenant, but I'm still excited!

gimme gimme gimme dat beta access!

Doom 1 and 2 were straight-up action as I recall, like Duke Nukem 3D. I'd say the scary aspect only really came in with D3.

I did think that D3 was great for a few hours, but then the cycle of scares wore thin. I'd like to see D4 hit a similar mark to Half-Life, which is basically a generous helping of both scares and balls-out action.