6 minutes ago, BJA said:

Thanks for pointing out that bug but I'm not sure if it'll be fixed. 

So many reboots you want :D

Yeah man, I just have a real weak spot for id Software's legacy. I would love to see a Quake 2 made with the tools we have today. Plus, I really think Rage deserves better.

7 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Such a well-paced game. Nearing the end I think.

Actually I sort of disagree with the well-paced thing. As you're nearing the end I'll hide my thoughts:

Spoiler

In the second half of the game some of the battles got a bit repetitive. I guess this is partly because by that point I'd got all the weapons and useful upgrades and learned all the non-boss monsters. It got to the point where I could reliably survive the first few waves of a battle then grab whatever power-ups were nearby to easily take out the big guys that inevitably spawn in the last wave or two. The berserk was insanely fun the first time I used it, but after that initial novelty wears off it's just overpowered.

The repetitiveness reached its crescendo in the level with three near identical battles around the dead wraiths. It would have been so much more rewarding if the final wave of each of these battles had included a living wraith with some sort of unique attack.

I found the boss fights quite disappointing too. I had been really looking forward to fighting the spider mastermind and cyberdemon, so it was a huge disappointment when they both turned out to be bullet-sponges in a basically flat atrium with 0 level design. I forget what the worm-boss things are called, but they didn't seem very DOOM-y and it was just frustrating when I finally defeated one, only for two to then appear in exactly the same boring arena. I think I understand the design intention for the boss battles which was to make the player focus on the boss's range of abilities, but this relied more on trial and error than intuition, so I think some sort of environment puzzle would have been more rewarding.

All complaints aside, it's still the best singleplayer fps I've played for years and years.

Really agree with @text_fish on the bosses, I think I expressed the concept when I played the game.

But for the rest I enjoyed the game throughout, I found the fights always quite challenging, despite using the same power-up "trick", I still died a lot... which is OK because I like to find the best way to kill the waves.

Anyway thanks for the article @FMPONE!

Edited by blackdog

On 22/08/2017 at 6:40 PM, BJA said:

Some more info about DOOM VFR.

I appreciate that this is not another defeat-the-waves-style VR shooting gallery and I acknowledge that this is a problem that all VR games face BUT I am not buying the teleportation mechanic. At least not after having bounced to hell and back on the PC version. I would be glad to be proven wrong though and find out that this is still very much enjoyable :)