tr0nic Yesterday, 06:40 AM • Reply I need to team up with an artist to finish my cs:go levels! :v
SpronyvanJohnson 30 Sep 2014 • 1 reply Is anyone playing the new Gauntlet? If so, please share your opinion!
OneShotAnth 29 Sep 2014 • 3 replies Attempting to balance an unbalanced map is a pain -_-
knj 29 Sep 2014 • 1 reply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglOsfErtaE
Al Anselmo~Intelect0 26 Sep 2014 • 2 replies how do u guys manage your work/study/social/fun times? that's of course not possible... amiri...
verminbe 25 Sep 2014 • 1 reply Happy
Sigma 23 Sep 2014 • 4 replies Is the IRC channel still working? I know we have the chat room now. . . just curious
OneShotAnth 20 Sep 2014 • 1 reply Currently Hammering ;)

De_cache WIP (new version)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 FMPONE

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

FMPONE
  • Shawn Snelling
  • Job:Level Designer

POPULAR

Hey guys, so after my last map I spoke with someone who encouraged me to make a current competitive map (de_cache) pretty. It felt like a good fun, brief project to work on after two pretty strenuous original maps which had their own set of balance needs and weeks-long adjustment period. This one we know is fun, and I could just have some fun making it look nice. The creator Volcano is one of the most famous CS players in history~~ (his kdr>yours lol) and he's cool and totally supportive.

Only problem now is I need like 2-3 custom models and textures to replace some of the placeholders I'm using, but the idea of adding a third person to such a project is not ideal. This shows me a place I definitely need to grow as an artist, unfortunately I'm a bit overloaded with projects to learn to model or texture, but the need is now pretty glaring, I should be able to handle something like this on my own... still, I may attempt to make the textures we need, learning to model would take too long for this one project.

Old:

Posted Image

New:

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

---

Posted Image

Anyways I'm taking a weekend vacation now, but I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Take care.

#2 Evert

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Evert
  • Anders Janss0n
Really nice stuff

#3 Mazy

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Mazy
  • Morten Hedegren
  • Job:EOT service provider
Kewl~

#4 killertomato

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

killertomato
shiiit... nice stuff!! incredible improvement over the original visually. kinda reminds me of call of duty mw :D

#5 iwxanthi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

iwxanthi
  • Jeroen van Werkhoven
Looks really good! Only screen 12 with the glass behind the glass is a bit of a strange design choice.

#6 blackdog

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

blackdog
  • Flavio
  • Job:2D artist, web designer
What to say if not "woa!".

I find the general look a bit too brownish; two small details:
* maybe it's just placeholder but... wooden planks floor for a storage room with containers? :? (http://i.imgur.com/u7WPsIT.jpg)
* pillars are very unusual here (http://i.imgur.com/odWPjpa.jpg) they "disturb" me; also the ceiling has something that looks wrong to me, I guess it's the "edge-to-edge" windowing that doesn't seem to play well with the rails running underneath. I'd just simplify.

“Memento mori”

PORTFOLIO - btn_profile_greytxt_80x15.png

#7 KungFuSquirrel

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

KungFuSquirrel
  • Andrew Weldon
  • Job:Designer
  • Employer:Bungie
Looks fantastic, man. You're on a roll!

Edit: I should add, you're also doing a great job of preserving the layout + maintaining what looks like should be excellent readability of characters, which super critical. Great choice of textures and lighting!

#8 Al Anselmo~Intelect0

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Al Anselmo~Intelect0
  • Al Anselmo
  • Job:Kill A
  • Employer:a person or organization that employs people.
Insanely good!
How do you do that? What's the black magic? I'm in need for this dark sorcery.

More seriously, I'm always interested in the process. Any chances on sharing anything about your decisions to apply X art to Y environment/ which are the original assets vs. created by yourself/ etc.
I have a hard time on creating assets too, so it'd be great to know "how much it was possible to do on your project" taking that in consideration :)

Guilherme Al Anselmo | Game and Level Designer   
       Portfolio: anselmo.gd    btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.png            

#9 JeanPaul

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

JeanPaul
Dude this, this is amazing. I really love what you have done with the outdoor parts, its pretty much spot fucking on.

Bombsite B is kind of ugly though, Id give that room a reworking.

#10 killertomato

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

killertomato

Insanely good!

More seriously, I'm always interested in the process. Any chances on sharing anything about your decisions to apply X art to Y environment/ which are the original assets vs. created by yourself/ etc.
I have a hard time on creating assets too, so it'd be great to know "how much it was possible to do on your project" taking that in consideration :)

i concur, would be very interesting to read indeed Posted Image

Edited by killertomato, 23 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#11 iwxanthi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

iwxanthi
  • Jeroen van Werkhoven

Insanely good!

There is no magic. Just working your ass off 24/7

#12 PhilipK

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

PhilipK
Rad!

#13 3Dnj

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

3Dnj
  • Valentin Levillain
  • Job:Level Architect
  • Employer:Arkane Studios
This is good ! But I aggre, B is not that good. Looks unrealistic with the other shots.
Posted Image | Level Artist | Portfolio

#14 generalvivi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

generalvivi
  • Jason Mojica
  • Job:Designer
I personally would love to see more deep reds in the environment. Maybe that's my inner Mirrors edge coming out though :D.

Nothing big of course, just small stuff like pipes here and there.

#15 seir

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

seir
  • Mateusz Piaskiewicz
  • Job:Senior Level Artist
  • Employer:Techland
I'm starting to like soft lighting from Soure Engine but the interiors look the same bright as the outdoors. I know it's multiplayer and visibility is very important but a bit darker indoors would be awesome. Would be? :)

Still it's amazing job, good luck with the release! :o

EDIT:
Oh, and the plants under the ceiling are a bit "no way" to me. If there's such a big plant there should be more light/hole to provide water/ground somewhere there. See:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by seir, 23 May 2013 - 08:49 PM.