The random model thread!

KIIIA

Hi. 3D modelling n00b here. I've been toying around with Maya lately, slowly getting the hang of the basic toolset. I see that all your faces have 3 sides. I see many places where you use 2 3-sided faces where I probably would have used one 4-sided face. Is this best-practice for objects in game engines or is this model simply not optimized yet or...?

What e-freak said is true. Game engines always triangulate.

But it is better if you do it yourself before baking the normal maps, because normally every game engine or 3d app have it's own way of triangulate the mesh.

And you don't want your normals to look different when you import a model to the game engine.

Of course you can keep a clean version of the model, for further iterations.

I take away from this: it's better to triangulate everything (yourself) but not before you add normalmaps?

Some triangulation I do myself to avoid engines/export cutting faces up where I don't want them to. When I bake Normal/AO maps (Using Xnormal), I let the export handle most of the triangulation, I see no danger really, its (or has become for me) easy to predict what's going to happen where and I rarely see any moderate issues. In the case of my piano, I didn't do any manual triangulation aside from the curved arm things on either side.  Experience and practice will quickly show you what happens when you do this or that, it can be quite daunting at first but you get into the rhythm of things, I'm still relatively new to the baking process myself. Start with something basic, I started with a door frame :)

If you have any other questions, I'll help out where I can. I made a basic baking tutorial using Xnormal a while ago, its fairly primitive and I've probably made some silly mistakes but it might be of some use, here is a link : https://imgur.com/a/oqqH0

Still trying to learn and push myself on learning how to model and texture environment art. Again, this is for a source project and a recreation of a prop originally mastered by Mr. Thiago K himself ;) Hope it lives up to the original!

The prop is used in a desert environment fyi, but I may have overdone the decay.

QEJOskO.jpg

Edited by Jonny Phive

Still trying to learn and push myself on learning how to model and texture environment art. Again, this is for a source project and a recreation of a prop originally mastered by Mr. Thiago K himself ;) Hope it lives up to the original!

The prop is used in a desert environment fyi, but I may have overdone the decay.

QEJOskO.jpg

haha omg, mild mindfuck when I saw this :P

HI ! I'm more of a level designer than an environment artist but since I've put "Maya" in my skills in my resume I felt like I had to show something at least. So here goes. The first few pieces in. You can find the concept art I'm referring  to here, http://www.itsartmag.com/features/itsart/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/thief-concept-art-18.jpg

I wrote a thing about it here: http://antoineladouceurld.weebly.com/blog

post-31013-0-28031800-1401949210_thumb.p

post-31013-0-04303100-1401949234_thumb.j

post-31013-0-28992600-1401949246_thumb.j

post-31013-0-18942500-1401949262_thumb.j

Thought I'd share something I'm working on. Think I'm finally getting a little bit better hang of normal maps -- to which I owe gratitude to multiple people here for enlightening me. No textures yet (still finalizing the model and UV maps--making this for a mod in Source (1) engine). Full album can found here http://imgur.com/a/oKkY4. I would love some C&C if you are so inclined (but understand if you're not). Some obvious baking errors in there -- but I'm honestly unsure (seeing as this is the first semi-successful bake I have done) if they are a big deal without seeing a diffuse on it.

oW1h2kW.png

Just for the giggles I tossed what I have done on this into Unreal Engine 4.

sztuHkd.jpg

lu2Z2Mf.jpg

Edited by Sigma