4 hours ago, Daruth505 said:

Great work everyone, All these designs. Its just such a wonderful community!

All brought together with similar interests.

Good luck everyone, nice work Terri and LizardPL

Dont forget about @Vaya he is working on this project too :)
Thanks for kind words.

Minor Update on Progress.

More Pictures coming later.

I'd estimate that we're currently we're about 70% done with the 1st detailing pass of the map. Once this is complete I'll do a clipping and optimisation pass for some playtesting over the next couple of weeks. Lizard has been hammering away at the detailing in a void-filled VMF and replacing some pretty janky brushwork as He goes- the map is a lot smoother and better constructed as a result while retaining the original timings. He's also somehow managed to improve the flow and add additional gameplay elements that I didn't originally consider which is pretty cool. He should have filled in all of the gaps by the end of the week for more playtesting with the much more detailed version of the map. Massive props (nice pun) to Terri for all his custom content for the map too. Hopefully it'll be enough to give the map a unique vibe.

Church - we've replaced the damaged/bombed out pub at one of the capture points we originally planed with a church the reasons of this were 2 fold - a visual landmark for the capture point that could be seen from other areas of the map and also creating a unique vantage point within the church spire.

Layout - I've tried to keep the layout a lot more simple than the maps already in the game. No offense to NWI but I've been finding a lot of the offical maps to have confusing interiors which causes lot of zig-zag gameplay. all of our interiors will be a Z or a L connector at worse. We want to get the intensity of the war across while not confusing or disorientating people.

Theme/Name - we've deviated a little from the original idea to make the gameplay and looks of the map better - the river running through the centre of the map has been drained as it turned out you can't have 2 different levels of water in the same leaf - source screws up the rendering of this. I'm not sure if it's thematically close enough to the city of brest to keep the name- all of our references are from this area but I don't think people from brest would recognise anything :P  A name change is on the cards regardless. we'll be updating this at the end of the week with hopefully a steam workshop version.

You can see the sun from Brest of course, it just shines 8 times a day for a few minutes

Also yeah it's a pretty hard stretch to recognize the stuff I've seen so far to be honest. The harbor has a bit more promise, but in general the pics you posted feel a lot more 'french WW2-era village' than 'french WW2-era city'. Which is fine btw, those assets look great!

http://www.cparama.com/forum/brest-ports-et-bateaux-t10249.html

Edited by Corwin

Thanks for the pictures, maybe lizard will be able to use these to help us get  'back to brest' ;). 

I think one of our main problems with being accurate here is the difference in scale- our map could easily fit into the majority of those pictures and would look pretty 'samey' (one city zone) what we've done is scaled down while trying to keep a realistic feel- players have visual guides help them navigate and unique areas for each capture point. If that means we end up feeling smaller scale then I think we'll just need to go with that

@LizardPL - I like the tower here ;)

1 hour ago, Corwin said:

You can see the sun from Brest of course, it just shines 8 times a day for a few minutes

Also yeah it's a pretty hard stretch to recognize the stuff I've seen so far to be honest. The harbor has a bit more promise, but in general the pics you posted feel a lot more 'french WW2-era village' than 'french WW2-era city'. Which is fine btw, those assets look great!

http://www.cparama.com/forum/brest-ports-et-bateaux-t10249.html

We made some design decision to keep the map very easy to learn/ navigate and we had to sacrifice the realism for gameplay here and there. I totally get your feedback since the map name is the same as the real life location and you would expect it to be 100 % accurate. However we want map to have distinguishable areas for each control point. It makes map a lot easier to learn and navigate.
So let's say you are playing Day of Infamy with your friend and you want to describe him where is A point. Having a city structures everywhere would make this task very hard.

We divided a map in 3 parts:

- Docks ( C point)
- Pristine part of the city ( B point)
- Destroyed part of the city ( A point)

Each part of the map has its own unique landmark visible from other parts :) So having this forced us to "scale down" the whole map in terms of themes.
I came up with this picture for everyone to help you guys understand what I'm talking about :D (the yellow line indicate map boundaries)

fHtbx6n.jpg