Star Wars

Sprony

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Had an argument with a friend that passed me this

(super annoying voice)

There are some fair points, but the stuff about the characters dying and even worse the "contextualisation" made me go WTF

That's also Red Letter Media and besides being bitter cunts they are also big Star Trek fans, so there's that.

Just got back from seeing it. I had to see it in crappy 3D but whatever. The film itself I thought was very good, I enjoyed it a lot more than the last offering.

Spoiler

- The CGI on Peter Cushing was impressive but still very obvious and had a big uncanny valley about it. For me it looked good until he moved or spoke and the magic died. CGI Leia was the same but less obvious as the model had 2 seconds of screen time.
- Darth Vader totes stole the show for me. The little scene of him in the tank was great but the best scene in the entire film for me was him in the corridor, damn. As soon as I saw that dark corridor I got that FEELING. The feeling of OH SHIT HERE IT COMES DON'T DISAPPOINT ME NOW. Totally went as expected and was 10 times as awesome as expected. As mentioned, definite highlight of the film.
- The space battle was epic with some scenes sneaked in from A New Hope. Sneaky but I noticed you, very good.
- Gave 0 shits about the 2 "central" characters. The supporting cast was way more interesting. Big robot guy was my favourite.
- They make Stormtroopers look bad ass but they still end up being as useless as ever. Sighface
- Who noticed all the awesome Moustaches the Rebel pilots were sporting? Loved it

Solid 8/10

Getting around to watch the whole saga.

Forced myself to watch Ep1 on Christmas and Ep2 today.

Jeez they are really awful, Lucas must be the most uninspiring director (or noone was used to act in front of green screens?), The acting is terrible across the board.

CGI is a pile of crap even for those days standards, you can tell matte paintings a mile away.

And design of ships and vehicles (and creatures) is just wrong according to ask the design concepts I read/heard about, just throwing shapes on some paper to makes something different, is a clusterfuck of non-relatable stuff.

Plot has holes and a  whole bunch of nonsense. And  even more sinful, Lucas decided that is best to talk about the cool stuff instead of showing it. 

Edited by blackdog

5 hours ago, Vaya said:

I'd like disney to do redo the prequels. Little chance of that though.

I think the prequels get way too much hate. Much more than they deserve. I'm not saying they were great films but not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. A Phantom Menace was terrible. Really really terrible. But Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith had a lot of good ideas and great moments. Better screenplays, less CGI and good design would have gone a long way. The main reason why most of the acting was so bad is because nothing was real. It takes a certain kind of actor to play a roll convincing when there's just a green room to act in. 

About Roque One:
Imho it had a way too slow start and there was no story flow in the beginning. It was just like "there you have one character, there you have the next one" until they eventually meet somehow. Then it got better in the second half of the film and the end was pretty cool. Also: K-2SO is awesome :D
A downer for me was the CGI on Wilhuff Tarkin. I know they could've done better with more time.

The movie awakened ( :v ) my annual Star Wars fan weeks though, and i began to watch some fan theories on Youtube. There are two theories which really convinced me somehow and i rewatched EP VII yesterday with these in mind. Was pretty amusing. :D

Spoiler

I'm fairly sure the Rey Kenobi one is true.

And the following is just interesting. Not 100% sure if it could be true.

2 hours ago, Sprony said:

I think the prequels get way too much hate. Much more than they deserve. I'm not saying they were great films but not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. A Phantom Menace was terrible. Really really terrible. But Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith had a lot of good ideas and great moments. Better screenplays, less CGI and good design would have gone a long way. The main reason why most of the acting was so bad is because nothing was real. It takes a certain kind of actor to play a roll convincing when there's just a green room to act in. 

I'd like to see them refocused. the plots in all 3 films were so fucking scatty it's unreal. I wasn't too bothered about the acting- the dialogue was terrible tho