Unreal Engine 5

24 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

I think the little light scattering across the incredibly detailed geometry is what seems really promising from a photorealism standpoint. The fucking scary thing is, to be photorealistic, it still seems about half as detailed as it would need to be.

Photorealism feels *close* in 2022, like. We're almost there...

Looking at this shot for example, parts feel photoreal

image.png.a1c03405b3bdbb1783d5d150c0e7b45e.png

and other parts feel like a phony mess

image.png.c0c0e8b67daf3e675c7ca829351e5fe0.png

asset quality almost seems to differ in the shots, I find this whole rock set pretty unconvincing

image.png.27d644f3ddcca0b2e2707ada89ca1763.png

It is possible that Source 2 have that kind of photo realistic in the near future?

Looking through UE5 contents is cool too : p

Edited by Poofoge

7 hours ago, FMPONE said:

asset quality almost seems to differ in the shots, I find this whole rock set pretty unconvincing

It all depends on the artist and what asset quality/megascans they use. One artist could use medium quality meshes/materials or wrongly set up parameters, and the scene automatically looks artificial/phony. As with any engine/tools, Nanite/Lumen tech is there in UE5, it's how you use them.

Here's another batch of shots from another artist:

FI_GLHEXIAY6c6M?format=png&name=4096x409

FI_GLHIXsAoahY3?format=png&name=4096x409

FI_GZmvWQAgd6ql?format=png&name=4096x409

FI_GgT7XoAUwpHB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FI_GgUSXMAYPkcO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I wonder if we’d have the same reaction from a blind test. I’m looking at this on my phone, I’m sure a random person on the street would think why I’m looking at desertic caves photos. What’s this weirdo into?

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned, but it’s a big component to achieve photo realism, would be the general simulation/rendition of air dust. Those city shots look very detailed but clearly CG because of that reason, IMO.

It’s something I never noticed until I went for a hike in Canada at 1200+ meters: the air was so clean, the pictures I took up there look so detailed, almost as if I used a different camera or lenses.

~

All of this looks great, and it’s very exciting in a way… but from a gaming standpoint I dunno how much I care: I always felt the real “next gen” would be when the AI would actually make the world feel more immersive, when systems are more interconnected and allow for long term consequences and make the player feel they really had an impact.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, will2k said:

I remembered your post last time about pre-2010 gaming era nostalgia and I'm noticing this awful trend now for most games, where the graphics nowadays are getting photorealistic but the games themselves are getting dumber and too mainstream/simplistic.

Yeah I was talking to one of the level designers at work about this today. I'm finding it harder and harder to find a game I can really stick with and put a lot of hours into. Whereas 10+ years ago there were quite a few games that I would really enjoy and put many hours into.

Now some of this is probably down to me getting older, having less time to play, my friends not playing as much and my tastes changing. But then I think about Battlefield 2042 and how bad that's been received. Before it came out and all we had were trailers I was pretty hyped for it. I wanted a modern day Battlefield like BF2, BC2 or BF3 but with modern graphics and that's exactly what the trailers looked like. Obviously, that never came to pass and I cancelled my pre-order after playing the beta. But if DICE/EA did release a modern day BF2 I reckon I could really dedicate some time to it.

Now, I guess we're in the minority since the games industry is pulling in some serious cash. The masses must be loving it but I guess most of the money is going into a small number of franchises (COD, LOL, Pokemon, Mobile games etc).

I dunno, maybe when we can't progress with graphics any more without a significant jump in graphics power the games will get better and we'll focus on the gameplay instead?

Old man shouts at cloud!

On 1/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, will2k said:

I remembered your post last time about pre-2010 gaming era nostalgia and I'm noticing this awful trend now for most games, where the graphics nowadays are getting photorealistic but the games themselves are getting dumber and too mainstream/simplistic.

6 hours ago, Beck said:

Yeah I was talking to one of the level designers at work about this today. I'm finding it harder and harder to find a game I can really stick with and put a lot of hours into. Whereas 10+ years ago there were quite a few games that I would really enjoy and put many hours into.

Now some of this is probably down to me getting older, having less time to play, my friends not playing as much and my tastes changing.

Age is the biggest component imo.
This is something I used to tell already back when I was moderating the Italian gaming forum, and that's many years ago: if we are realistic, we are not the target audience.

Most AAA revolves around these live service that we, as working professionals, in stable relationships, maybe mothers and dads, haven't got time for! I'm sure we have all seen stuff that looks like it can tickle our interest, but it's just too big and becomes offputting.

CliffyB was right when, responding to criticism to Gears of War, talked about the pros of shorter but more polished experiences. It's a shame we don't diversify more, for example I'd buy most COD games within the launch year, if they sold the campaign on its own at 1/3 1/2 of the price.

On top of time, themes are a big thing, there's not really much to connect nowadays for a mature audience.
I'm so glad I played Last of Us only last year, I think it triggered some emotions I would have never felt before becoming a dad.

Spoiler

FIvoGrAX0AAl0Te?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I bet if you set out to do it, you could make this scene photorealistic. Remove the fantasy scaffoldings, make the water less blue, reduce the bloom, replace the cartoon grass with grass thay looks like real grass, and undo the Instagram filter. They definitely weren't going for realistic here. And you can't make the excuse that the technology isn't there yet.

Edited by NikiOo

On 1/15/2022 at 12:09 PM, NikiOo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

FIvoGrAX0AAl0Te?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I bet if you set out to do it, you could make this scene photorealistic. Remove the fantasy scaffoldings, make the water less blue, reduce the bloom, replace the cartoon grass with grass thay looks like real grass, and undo the Instagram filter. They definitely weren't going for realistic here. And you can't make the excuse that the technology isn't there yet.

That's why I previously posted that it's up to the artist; mediocre assets and/or wrong parameters and the photorealism goes out the window.

In contrast, here's a scene in UE 4.27 with full ray tracing that's bordering on photorealistic (different artist)

FJElX-pWUAAVEps?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FJElYx2XwA0MW_A?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...