Sign in to follow this  
Zarsky

Unreal Engine 5

This is all nice and shit, but can it beat Source engine?

Seriously though, my mind was blown. This Lumen dynamic lighting technique is insane.

This was running on a PS5; just imagine this running on a Zen3 Ryzen 9 4900 with Ampere RTX 3080 :whaaa:...just think of the possibilities

What happened to Voxel based GI?

I remember during the days of Rage that Carmack said that triangles would become so small that the same idea of slicing a huge texture in smaller pieces and loading just the required pieces could be extended to geometry as well. Seems that years later and we get to that point.

Edited by 0kelvin

Yeah, and to sweeten the deal: This level of environment and lighting fidelity will be easier to achieve with this tech and the new consoles.

Nanite processes those movie tier Megascans assets without any need to tweak LODs&lightmaps and Lumen makes sure everything is lit correctly&dynamically. That GI is sooo delicous!

Edited by Zarsky

This is fucking amazing... it might be akin to the jump between PS2 and PS3 graphics. Everyone was talking about how the PS4 was a iterative gen, this next one seems to be a huge leap!

Virtualized geometry tech, no need for LODs.
Dynamic GI, no need for lightmaps.
Raytraced sound and reverb.

Fuck, yes! Red letter day for game artists.

Speaking of deals: royalties waived under $1M :whaaa:

1 hour ago, 0kelvin said:

I remember during the days of Rage that Carmack said that triangles would become so small that the same idea of slicing a huge texture in smaller pieces and loading just the required pieces could be extended to geometry as well. Seems that years later and we get to that point.

I remember that too! When they started talking and mentioned that, my mind went immediately back to that Carmack interview

Edited by blackdog

I hope this means next gen games will stay under 100 gigs in disk space if we don't need so much texture budget from now on. I hate owning multiple disks, and SSDs still aint cheap enough! :fist::sad:

So with regards to static geometry it eliminates , lowpoly modelling, unwrapping, lods, baking, normalmaps, vertexnormals + more?. Alot to take in honestly.

Is there gonna be a split now between Static- and Dynamic environment artists?

I don’t know guys I think .bsp, VRAD and two hour compiles is the way to go.

/Unreal Engine guy voice: “We call this new technology TexInfos, and if you have even one too many of them, your computer explodes. You’re welcome.”

44 minutes ago, WD said:

I hope this means next gen games will stay under 100 gigs in disk space if we don't need so much texture budget from now on. I hate owning multiple disks, and SSDs still aint cheap enough! :fist::sad:

Well, lemme crush your hopes immediately... it probably means the inverse, games with high fidelity assets will get a larger install.

Dynamic lighting does mean you don't need to ship a game with lightmaps, which will bring disc size down a bit, but the thing is, high density geometry also occupies a fairly large size on disc, and all those assets you see there still make use of Color, Roughness and normal maps. Fitting all that on a reasonable storage device will be a challenge. What we have here is essentially some very futuristic streaming technology, now that consoles will have 16gb of memory and SSD, you have a lot of buffer to stream shit in and out of memory.