[TF2] DEWM

mr.P

Decided to make a tf2 map, 

This is DEWM, a king of the hill experiment in Team Fortress 2; set on my favorite red planet; on this planet there is a facility, this is where you fight!

0AF6D5B6F86FF6A16281D63F9F619A27C428672F

Here is a short video:

Here are some more screens:

5EED3BB92BF26EDDF0D142979ED7431B63F832E6

A35D360E4DEB1C423BEB516DF5C546A3CE61AA05

76F23B857FBCCE259C379DB1BE06914B3647DB7D

1729D853C5CCE00495661CA0C25413703C7C0E6E

45CD40B26670E090D37E688F3A82521CAE5DFF72

76AFA57B1CA0086F08149DA3CC97F12E761912D7

8417FE6CAC54ABCBCE19D05BECA2BB74C90AC565

EAB92F0B4C2C03A08B3D3142D46A25D2F8422578

I used Source 2 hammer to create the props, ended up making 100+ props, including animated, dynamic and static models, each prop was timeboxed to ~1h 
The name suggests "DOOM" but I mostly used Overwatch as inspiration for the props, setting and style; whilst keeping it tf2 styled...this is a 80's retro inspired sci-fi map with pipes, wires, glass floor and jump pads, custom content from top to bottom,

If you want to test this map you can download it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873248180
If you want to use these props you can download them here: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/dewm-hard-surface-asset-pack.3903/
If you want to use this map/props in SFM you can download it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890128859

PS. The map looks better in game, D;

Enjoy,

Wow this looks awesome! I'll have to run around this later.

Also the Source 2 hammer workflow is interesting for creating props, what was your reasoning behind it? Just something you were used to or did you feel it was more efficient?

• FMPONE featured this topic

This looks really cool, and brings me back to the glory days where every new day a new quality map would pop up in the server browser. Also, the prop-creation thing is interesting, I didn't even know you could do that with Source 2, this only amplifies my hype for the engine.

thanks all, :)

I'm curious ab the "sudden" source 2 interest considering i made this map that I posted here a few years back, which pretty much follows the same workflow as this, guess interest has grown over the past ~3 years since the source 2 alpha tools were released,

regarding this self explored workflow, I prepared a long post, but forgot to post it, and now its gone :( ...the gist was:

1. make a map in source sdk
2. import it into source 2 hammer (it reads vmf and uses the same units)
3. build your props to fit the map (just like source hammer; s2 hammer can't export mdl so a 3rd party application is needed)
4. export your props as fbx and import into a application that can export smd/mdl, like blender (free), xsi (free), maya, 3ds or modo
4a. fbx saves uv coords, but its not possible to uv unwrap/island for baking in s2 hammer, that's done in a 3rd party application
5. export to smd/mdl (if you have a qc compiler) and bring back to source sdk

valve.developer is the place to go for documentation, dota2 tools and destinations tools ...mixed with your own curiosity and creativity!
(but I'm pretty sure there will be tutorials on youtube etc once there is enough incentive to make em)

I'll quote myself from two years ago and say the source 2 hammer is still "awesome"! and if you haven't tried em I think you should!!

note: there is nothing special with this workflow, I've used maya/max for the past 15 years, but found this more enjoyable, hope it helps,

if you have specific questions I'll try and answer them, thanks

13 hours ago, Christian H said:

This looks fantastic! Might I ask how many hours you put into it? I'm trying to get a feel for what a reasonable time limit is for a finished map.

started working on it in December 2016, and released it end of February 2017, probably did 1-3 hours most days with a 3 weeks downtime over Christmas, here is the full Update history https://tf2maps.net/downloads/dewm.2853/updates

• FMPONE unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 5/15/2017 at 9:10 AM, blackdog said:

Mention Source 2, win the internets.

:D

I'll join the crowd and say this looks great, but I am also interested in this Source 2 workflow!

Ahaha, this reminds me my all-time top post on Reddit is literally "Source2".

This map looks coolio.