Dishonored II

El Moroes

Fair enough, I guess that's different from the first. However I find it incredibly hard to believe that each encounter has been balanced both with and without powers. Either way that point may as well be moot since we've seemingly established that I'm no longer in the target demographic.

Edited by Sentura

Ghosting this game without powers is like trying to satisfy a woman without a clitoris. What a challenge, I fucking love it.

I just wished they had added the option to check, during a mission, if you were spotted or not. Kinda sucks to spend 2 hours on it only to find out you were apparently seen in the mission stats screen. 

Alright, I just put a few hours in, just got to Karnaca and I'm really enjoying it. Trying to beat it on hard, i did say yes to powers and I'm fairly sure that will bite you later eventually since the game acknowledged it in the journals and your diary so the story might have some ramifications there. I'm playing with Corvo and so far I'm enjoying the diferent dialogs and I can actually imagine a second playthrough as his daughter to be pretty fun as well if anything to see the diferent interactions and story progression, shame they didn't do a parallel story development a-la Resident Evil 2 Leon/Claire scenario and instead 

Spoiler

decided to turn the character you don't chose into a rock. But then again, I'm still not done with the game so it might surprise me there. 

So far though, the gameplay is pretty good and it has a real sense of progression instead of spending the whole game in a big hub like Deus Ex Mankind divided, so I'm already enjoying Dishonored 2 a lot more. 

Performance is a bit all over the place, i get 60 FPS @ 1080p in interiors and smaller areas but the game drops to 30/35 in big outdoor or denser areas. That said, my PC is already bellow the recomend specs for this game so I'll cut them some slack there. 

My god, the environment art is astonishing so far, i can't wait to see what lies ahead in terms of variety too, so far in terms of scenery it looks similar to the first game, only way better looking, which is fine by me but i hope they surprise me there too and show me unexpected environments. 

This new engine is really amazing too. I really like their textures and materials, their metals have a very unique look, which really helps the stylized look pop out. Even though i get a lot of aliasing and moire effect in this game, which is actually very distracting, I'm wondering what it looks like on console but it's probably a combination of fxaa being shit and materials being too shiny sometimes.

So far I'm actually happy I got it for PC, although I'm playing with a controller i don't have many problems to report on my end after playing the initial 4 or 5 hours, so far so good. 

On 13/11/2016 at 0:38 AM, Sprony said:

I just wished they had added the option to check, during a mission, if you were spotted or not. Kinda sucks to spend 2 hours on it only to find out you were apparently seen in the mission stats screen. 

In the menu you have the access to the stats where you can see if you've been spotted or not ;) (you can do that during your playthrough).

On 11/12/2016 at 11:22 PM, Sentura said:

Fair enough, I guess that's different from the first. However I find it incredibly hard to believe that each encounter has been balanced both with and without powers. Either way that point may as well be moot since we've seemingly established that I'm no longer in the target demographic.

I kind of agree with this - but it's only really especially noticeable at the start of the game. The first mission in Dunwall has you navigating the city without powers and it was frustrating in terms of it being quite trial and error based as to whether enemies spot you. You could sneak around a corner and a guard would be looking through a window, or try to cross a gap between cover sections (with no other route options available) and again have someone spot you from the street. I found the same thing on the third mission (The Good Doctor) - immediately after getting off the boat you have one main entry point with an opening either side of it, and trying to get inside that without getting spotted was a bit of a nightmare, as guards are on either side of the entrances, not very visible in amongst the scenery inside and you have no minimap to tell you which way they might be facing or where they are. I read up on this mission after I'd done it and read that you can possess a fish in the fountain to get inside, but I didn't have this power at that point. 

Anyway, later on this does become less of a problem, mostly because I now have some of those powers. I found the later levels to be well designed in terms of having multiple route options and I'm really enjoying collecting the bonecharms and runes as they're quite well hidden. The Clockwork Mansion mission was a highlight in that respect, particularly with the level sections that could be moved and rotated. 

I'm playing this on PS4 by the way and found that graphically it's nice overall with a few concessions, such as the low detail level backdrops - it seems it might have been tough to fit it onto consoles and maybe they could do with some engine upgrades. Interiors look generally nice, although there are some anti-aliasing and lighting issues, and some pop in. Framerate can be an issue but only at certain points and it's occasionally a bit buggy too - the first main character I had to kill fell into a wall and I had to loot his foot for the mission item as it was the only part of him I could still see. Either way none of these things make it a less than enjoyable experience - gameplay wise it's pretty great and I look forward to playing more. 

Edited by PaulH

On 11/12/2016 at 3:38 PM, Sprony said:

If you want real time feedback on this, here's a tip if you wanna do that, under Enhancements, unlock Reflexes, and then Snap Reaction. (they'll set you back 4 runes, but it's worth it for stealth play)

What it does is the game will slow down for 2 seconds when you're spotted (a-la Metal Gear Solid V), so you always know when you're spotted with this.

7 hours ago, PaulH said:

I found the same thing on the third mission (The Good Doctor) - immediately after getting off the boat you have one main entry point with an opening either side of it, and trying to get inside that without getting spotted was a bit of a nightmare, as guards are on either side of the entrances, not very visible in amongst the scenery inside and you have no minimap to tell you which way they might be facing or where they are. I read up on this mission after I'd done it and read that you can possess a fish in the fountain to get inside, but I didn't have this power at that point. 

This mission was fucking amazing, I love how you can go quite literally anywhere in this island, from the basement, to the bed rocks all the way to the rooftops. I kind of brute forced my way in the main entrance but later realized there's quite a few hidden entrances around the edge of the map like you can just go around the back of the island, you can get in through a window in the kitchen, etc.

There are plenty of ways into the asylum in The Good Doctor, I personally went through the kitchen. I finished that mission last night with pacifist, ghost and "good ending". No powers mode and hard mode contributed greatly to an EXCELLENT experience. Great story. I have but one slight complaint (not mouse related): 

Spoiler

the mission debrief noted that I swam out to the half sunken ship to loot it, but it didn't recognize that I saved Hamilton :D Corvo's unique voice line in the ship was a great touch though!

Edited by grapen

On 14-11-2016 at 10:43 PM, grapen said:

There are plenty of ways into the asylum in The Good Doctor, I personally went through the kitchen. I finished that mission last night with pacifist, ghost and "good ending". No powers mode and hard mode contributed greatly to an EXCELLENT experience. Great story. I have but one slight complaint (not mouse related): 

Hide contents

the mission debrief noted that I swam out to the half sunken ship to loot it, but it didn't recognize that I saved Hamilton :D Corvo's unique voice line in the ship was a great touch though!

Spoiler

You can save Hamilton? Each and every time I tried (ghosting) the woman kills him. If I play violently it isn't a problem.

3 hours ago, Sprony said:
  Hide contents

You can save Hamilton? Each and every time I tried (ghosting) the woman kills him. If I play violently it isn't a problem.

I kind of fucked up in this mission and failed that specific side quest. It's weird tho, I didn't really failt it,

Spoiler

cos I did save Hamilton but I did it AFTER the fight with the crown killer triggered, so he was just sitting there and the talk prompt wouldn't trigger because you're suposed to get to him before you figure out who the killer is. I guess I'll do it "correctly" on my second playtrhough cos now I'm curious to see what he'd say.

Basically, it's now my opinion that Mission 3 - The Good Doctor is one of the best missions i've done in a game in a long time! I love the freedom you have, just walking around the island and taking it all in is an amazing experience, in terms of plot and the world you're in, you can tell the amount of history that island has just by walking around. I now just started mission 4, if the game continues this amount of awesomeness, Dishonored 2 will definitely be my GOTY.

7 minutes ago, (HP) said:

I kind of fucked up in this mission and failed that specific side quest. It's weird tho, I didn't really failt it,

Hide contents

cos I did save Hamilton but I did it AFTER the fight with the crown killer triggered, so he was just sitting there and the talk prompt wouldn't trigger because you're suposed to get to him before you figure out who the killer is. I guess I'll do it "correctly" on my second playtrhough cos now I'm curious to see what he'd say.

Basically, it's now my opinion that Mission 3 - The Good Doctor is one of the best missions i've done in a game in a long time! I love the freedom you have, just walking around the island and taking it all in is an amazing experience, in terms of plot and the world you're in, you can tell the amount of history that island has just by walking around. I now just started mission 4, if the game continues this amount of awesomeness, Dishonored 2 will definitely be my GOTY.

Spoiler

Like @3Dnj said, I think I'm confusing Hamilton with that dude in the interrogation room downstairs.

18 minutes ago, Sprony said:
  Hide contents

Like @3Dnj said, I think I'm confusing Hamilton with that dude in the interrogation room downstairs.

Spoiler

No, I don't think you are, that's Hamilton the janitor. He's being interrogated by a female elite guard. You need to sneak in there as quickly as possible and grab her from behind before she kills him. It's hard but it's possible if you hurry taking the other guard walking around the room first.