[WIP] de_monaco

VIOLATION

A defuse map set within the beautiful city-state of Monaco, set during the preparations/day of the Monaco Grand Prix.

This map is heavily WIP and started from a multitude of scratched ideas, settings, and "layouts". As of this initial post there is no true layout (something desperately struggling with) and the map itself began out of a small theme map.

As of now there is limited custom texture/model work and there are some borrowed assets (hopefully just as placeholders) from Marquis. 

Screenshots:

DpqgXAW.jpg

E9FOLyg.jpg

f4SD9ZF.jpg

e8zsL4k.jpg

CXlBypi.jpg

General overview so far:

WDHbytB.jpg

Currently I am in a sort of limbo when it comes to expanding the layout and coming up with bombsite concepts/layouts as well and not much has been done recently besides a few scrapped attempts to work on the layout and general detailing. Hopefully it'll get somewhere eventually though, but only after an immense amount of testing I'm sure.

Edited by VIOLATION

It looks nice and all, but don't you normally want to test it before it gets to this level of detail?

I honestly do agree with that approach entirely and wish I had used it in hindsight, getting a rough layout out and all that before doing anything else but the scene itself had started just from attempting to recreate a reference photo and over that period of time I was inspired again to create a defuse map around that theme, preferably building off of what already exists.

Monaco is a pretty modern and clean city. There's lots of big roads everywhere and lots of elevation, it's weird.

I would get rid of these barrels and rock walls, it doesn't fit the them IMHO.

It's actually a really nice theme, lots of potential! Both in layout and visuals.

dsc09935.jpg

6600%20monaco%20monte%20carlo%20monaco%2

Edited by Klems

I honestly do agree with that approach entirely and wish I had used it in hindsight, getting a rough layout out and all that before doing anything else but the scene itself had started just from attempting to recreate a reference photo and over that period of time I was inspired again to create a defuse map around that theme, preferably building off of what already exists.

It looks pretty nice so far. Would love to see this turn into a fully functional csgo map :) I do agree with some of the points @Klems brought up, about the rocks and the barrels.

Don't be encouraged by the "wrong" approach you used until now. While certainly not ideal, it doesn't mean this couldn't turn into something good!

Can you post an overview?

Edited by Squad

• 1 month later...

It's been a while and even though I've done some tweaks and messing around I'm still at a total loss for layout design. Here's basically what I'm working with right now 

2e16deb5fd506c508d35f105ec9ad5f0.png

here's a view of what's playable currently (red):

66058798ee62d9cb823f909655b0c171.png

the area in the upper right is a rough idea of what I wanted one of the bomb sites to look like and has been moved around a few times, currently resting in a pretty poor position imo.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated (?)

Friendly advice, don't try to do what you're doing.

Go back, do a true greybox, get a complete layout down. THEN apply some of the cool art you're working on. Do not try to fasten a layout onto a piece of artwork, it's just asking for trouble. Plus, by the time you go back, you'll have more practice with art and do better art.

Friendly advice, don't try to do what you're doing.

Go back, do a true greybox, get a complete layout down. THEN apply some of the cool art you're working on. Do not try to fasten a layout onto a piece of artwork, it's just asking for trouble. Plus, by the time you go back, you'll have more practice with art and do better art.

I think most of us are doing that mistake because of the lack of feedback we usually have before we start detailing.  Texturing a bit can help gathering feedback and detailing even more. I think your advice is great, I try to restrain myself as much, but the greybox stage is sometimes hard to progress in because of that  :) I think that's why he did that. 

• 3 weeks later...

That's so cool :D

Kinda hard to tell from the overview you posted yesterday, but are you taking the map back to a (more or less) greybox phase?

Is there a playable version available somewhere?

I've essentially started from scratch keeping only the theme/basic visuals in regards to layout and have been working on making a proper greybox with some basic detailing to set a feel for some props and textures.

Right now I haven't put anything up officially and have just been getting feedback from friends/playtesting with bots as I bounce different layout ideas around. 

I've essentially started from scratch keeping only the theme/basic visuals in regards to layout and have been working on making a proper greybox with some basic detailing to set a feel for some props and textures.

Right now I haven't put anything up officially and have just been getting feedback from friends/playtesting with bots as I bounce different layout ideas around. 

It would be nice to get a greybox posted, as MapCore has a lot of great minds that may be to your use. Better now than later when you are detailing and we find a flaw in your map, and have to restart.