MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 3.0

Puddy

DE_ALI

Beeeeeautiful map! It's very easy to get lost on it, though. At least on the first 4~10mins. Many different routes, and some small spaces that at first look like they lead to another path, but in reality they are just a "retracted" space that acts as the entrance of a house, for example. Even though they help to make the layout feel confusing, the good thing about these kind of spaces is that they are usually a good spot to hide/ camp. I think the overall layout is kinda refreshing from what we usually see. Those archways with stairs could be a little larger, because at the moment the player has to try more than once to crouch jump through them (maybe a small clipping issue).

Yeah, I can image the layout may seem a bit confusing at first (with the little doorway halls, etc), but all in all I think the layout is pretty easy to learn after a few rounds (although I'm not in a very good position to judge that anymore :P). The main idea behind these kind of spaces was to provide ways of cover (instead of, let's say, a crate) and, additionally, to break up the buildings and architecture.

Which archways specifically are you talking about?

hmm apparently I was having a hard time on jumping through them because of my enormous ping (200~300) during playtest. I just opened the game to test with bots and I could jump through the archways just fine :P

DE_CONVENTION

The CT spawn could receive a little work. At the moment the CTs tend to follow the left route (from what I noticed, anyway) and following the right path basically means that you should have a sniper, as by the time you get there, there would be a Terrorist aiming at your forehead. I would suggest to break some walls and create a path that goes from the CT spawn to the bomb site on the right side, making the CTs to get to the bomb site quicker.

It's a fun map, but right now it seems very T-sided :P

There originally was an entrance there, so I opened it back up and I feel like that helped. I also added in more cover so the sight lines are a lot more sane, and added a little more space to the left hand entrance/balcony there. Good suggestions, thanks!

Overall, my biggest concern would definitely be art related. Some of the areas have a bit of a "game arena" feel to them, and trying to turn those into plausible spaces might prove a little tricky. I think it could be beneficial even at this early stage to try and define - at least in a very rough sense, exactly what each area is going to be, and what type of buildings or structures the blocked out shapes are eventually going to turn into.

That's something I'm trying to work on, but it's been a hard habit to break out of. I just start laying out big blocks for gameplay and end up with (surprise) blocky abstract architecture. I think I need to start pulling more photo reference ahead of time, or something. But I really like the flexibility of keeping it blocky to make easy gameplay changes. I need to find a happy medium there.

It would be perfectly possible to, after you got the layout blocked out quite rough as you did, turn the map into a believable environment. The biggest downside however, will be that it probably limits your options quite a bit. As people mentioned, it's easier if you have a setting in mind before starting to lay out any blocks and once you do, make it a little more detailed (still rough though, only the basic shapes). But in the end, that's also a matter of taste and working method, I guess. Whatever works for you!

It's a pretty fun map, I enjoyed it! But it's a bit too large scaled for my taste (then again, I guess I kinda like smaller scaled maps with quick gameplay). It happened a few times that people wandered around the map searching for the remaining enemies.

I'll try to give some more detailed feedback when I have more spare time on my hands!

Hey lepludodeslapin, there are 3 maps lined up for tomorrow. Generally, that seems to be the limit for most players and the dropoff rate is very high after that (few players generally remain).

Would it be okay if we playtested print on Wednesday or Thursday?