MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 3.0

Puddy

de_print

Got a little lost at first, but overall a good map. The cycle time for CTs between sites is nice and shortish and the Ts is long which is as it should be. Really liked the right hand side of the map as CT's and the centre for T's. Was fun with however many players we had, but if I remember it was slightly CT sided (might have been the teams though).

de_oldtown

Definately think it can be scaled down in terms of the streets lengths, liked both bomb sites and the entry points and the centre area was great. I would just scaled it down about 25% then start adding in smaller cover objects. Currently massively favored CT's.

cs_mass - what I was attempting to do with the scale, entry points and timings was create cs_office style engagements, however I think the size of the interior of the church is slightly detrimental to that.

Saw quiet a few things I want to fix, might not have helped the play through that I didn't have a minimap (hadn't really thought about it), fairly happy with the alley side going to make it slightly easier to cover as Ts though, middle of the church needs more vis block. Going to remove those bushes. Going to simplify the catacombs significantly, just 1 path instead of the split parallel paths.

Edited by Vilham

In reference to oldtown and mass - a good thing to keep in mind when making narrow corridors: Most servers run with player collision on, so anything less than two players wide and you have yourself a traffic jam and those are miserable on larger servers.

Man I just dont even bother with grammar anymore

Edited by JeanPaul

Print

Solid map, nice routes and predictable choke points. But I feel there are too many AWP options in the map. But has very good run ups to the sites, and good defensive options as CTs when protecting the sites

Oldtown

First thing that stood out for me was that teams met so quickly after spawning, but at such extreme distances that if you had anything other than an AWP you didn't really have many options. Second thing whs that it felt that in almost all cases, when you were keeping an eye on a route/choke, you could often get shot at from a totally different area. For example trying to push the small B arch as T and getting shot by CTs at the top of the stairs in mid. And then finally some areas being a bit too open that smoking a choke only covers part of the route in some areas.

Mass

Not sure what to say about this map, I had a lot of trouble getting to grips with it and finding routes I enjoyed going. It felt like after the first 30 seconds or so, the map was a beehive of players all over the place, enemies and allies. So I felt my only options were to either camp the hostages or push to the rescue zone. Anywhere in between and I had no idea where enemies might appear.

Print

Lovely map. Feels like there's gone a lot of thinking into the locations of the chokepoints and how they are build (great cover options, good flanking paths, height variations). It also offers quite some options to go from one side of the map to another. Some more cover on the right side of CTs (the long road) to stand a chance against snipers wouldn't hurt though.

Visullay I think it's very nice. Some of the areas would look better if they'd be more 60-70-ish (ie: the reception area feels rather modern in comparison with the rest of the map), but that's just a little bit nittpicking.

Oldtown

My first thought was that it didn't feel like a traditional CS layout at all. My second thought was the same, but after a few rounds it kinda grows on you :) It was pretty fun, but as Skybex already mentioned wherever in the map you were, there was always a possibility of being getting shot at from a completely different angle.

This may be a rather drastic interference, but I'm curious to see how it'd play out: perhaps it could be beneficial to remove a portion of the map and move on of the bombsites to the triangular market place (with the tree) and relocate the T spawn. If you could post the overview I could explain better what I'm trying to say.

Mass

I felt that there were (as either team) only 2 real paths to choose from. I know there's an underground path, but I never felt inclined to take the sewers route (except the first round, but then I was lost :P). Two main paths is not necessarily bad, but there weren't any real "subpaths" to go to either, both routes connected only at the location of the hostages.

I like the church/cathedral setting however, it provides some nice possibilities for the interior (pillars, balconies, ... ).

new_york_st_patrick_cathedral-wide.jpg

splendour.jpg

In reference to oldtown and mass - a good thing to keep in mind when making narrow corridors: Most servers run with player collision on, so anything less than two players wide and you have yourself a traffic jam and those are miserable on larger servers.

Good point, but 2 players width should be considered the absolut minimum and if possible avoided. If a player stands in the middle of a 2-player wide corridor than it would not be possible to pass him and would still cause traffic jams.

Okay chaps, since I'm gonna be a bit unavailable for the next 2 months:ish I have handed over the Server admin hat to OrnateBaboon! I wish you all the best in your maptesting endeavours and I'll see you on the server later this summer! :)

Hey, I would like to playtest the latest version of de_bermuda_rc7 as well, with some changes in the gameplay, so it won't play like CoD and more like a proper CS:GO map.

I still haven't thanked you for your feedback since the last time it got tested, sorry for that and thank you for your feedback! I listened to everything you guys said and tried to make appropriate changes, at least in the layout.

9XEBL0d.png

Just a heads up: The water still deals damage (merely 2dmg/instance though) and the textures are the same, please deal with it. And it's going to be the last playtest for this map, if everything plays out well that is.