The random model thread!

KIIIA

Amazing knj !!!!! make it it low and texture it !! will be a nice piece for your folio :)

You could bake an heightmap in xnormal and using it as a mask in photoshop for all the cavities between the extruded parts, but i'm not sur that will be much useful

otherwise, if you want a "grain" you could use the "noise" function in zbrush

To me anyway it's quite finished as a highpoly, if i would have to add some normal details that would be in photoshop with NDo or whatever :)

That's fantastic knj! I am loving to see your progress dude, congratulations!

What was your workflow with the masks? How did you do your projections?

I agree that for a high poly is already pretty cool any more will probably ruin it, if you want more high frequency detail on your normal map, generate it in CB, Xnormal or NDO and overlay it.

Thanks again guys :crazy:

Koko: i'm fighting with the LP, i'm on 6k tris, it's getting hard to go lower and lower, i would love to go around 4k, but i don't think this is possible, it is already blocky as hell

HP: after i had my model imported into zbrush and after couple sublevels up, i took screenshots of those parts where i wanted to put the details, with that screenshots in photoshop i've made simple alphas, after that using projection master i've projected the alfas on those spots i wanted

as for overlaying some details for a normal map, thanks i've got that same feeling but i was just curious couse GoW3 guys have details all over the model, and for me some of it will look noisy in game, i know how UDK can make noise on texutre

attachment.php?attachmentid=278040

Yeah, but if you ask me, that's definitely going overboard with high frequency detail in the sculpt. I mean, yes, it looks good on a folio, but in the context of production I see no point in doing this, unless your job is only about making high poly pieces, which is what Kevin does. (Afaik, he doesn't model LP's, and if he does he probably just runs decimation master on them)

Although that piece looks marvelous, try and bake that on a 256*256 or even on a 512*512 normal map and all that detail is gonna turn into a shitpile of pixelated blobs, that's why you should have a readable high poly.

I prefer to keep the sculpts with low to medium detail, and do the high detail later, your shapes will read better that way. You can use either a overlay on top of the normal map, or use a tilling detail normal map to give it a bit of texture, but obviously it's all down to personal preference.

So if you're practicing for the sake of learning how to do it, then fuck it, do it, go overboard for the lulz! If you're making assets for games, it's better not.