KIIIA

The random model thread!

n5Bg1.jpg

Advices for getting a better normal map ?

With the average normal setting for the highpoly model in xnormal I lost a lot of my surface details and my normal map is finally a little blurred.

I have tried a little sharp filter in photoshop but it's not very clean.

Currently I use the green channel and the blue channel as AO mask (in multiply mode) for getting more cavity lines. I also use a cavity map from the normal map for highlighting the edges.

What material is it supposed to be ?

It looks like dry clay.

Yeah, some like that, dry clay or soft rock.

Maybe try to detail further your initial Z mesh.

It's already the case, I very surprised to lost so much details (even the medium details are not very well). :\

reminds me of a certain type of granite: edit: an example of this on a much larger scale (about 390km wide) is the richat structure.

if i were a collosus wandering around the countryside and saw one of those, i might think it'd make a good facemask :B

sorry, no technical tips, though.

reminds me of a certain type of granite: edit: an example of this on a much larger scale (about 390km wide) is the richat structure.

if i were a collosus wandering around the countryside and saw one of those, i might think it'd make a good facemask :B

sorry, no technical tips, though.

Hooo, very interesting, I was nor seeing my work like that. It's a very nice idea.

what software this screen was taken from ?

Marmoset Toolbag 1.05. :)

Some of the different architectural pieces I've decided to go with for my romantic ruin scene. Excuse the fov, I'm used to using e_screenshot from CE2 but that doesn't seem to work for CE3, so I printscreen'd the editor.

Ax13v.jpg

Looking pretty! I'm curious about how you plan to go about making the 'ruined' side of things. I had planned to create a scene based on Fountains Abbey, a beautiful ruined abbey I'm lucky to live near. http://www.yorkshire-dales.com/fountain ... views.html

I was stumped on how I'd model the ruined/worn bricks and stone. I assumed pro's would create individual hi-res meshes of the key ruined area's, but thought that would be very time consuming. I'd really love to hear how you plan to achieve it, and how others would too.

Hey Red. I'm not planning on anything too taxing regarding the amount of work I'm going to put into this, damaged areas or otherwise. More than likely I'll simply make a tileable, damaged texture that can be applied to damaged areas of the mesh. It wont require any hipoly baking (except for the damaged texture itself, I may do some zbrush work for that) and I can take out chunks of my meshes where I see fit without having to worry about modeling/baking hipoly geo.

Take a look at Matroskin's romantic ruin scene:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthre ... ost1407726

This piece is a huge inspiration for what I'm going to attempt to achieve, the workflow he touches on is essentially the same way I'm going about my scene. Only creating and baking hipoly meshes for things that need it, like trim. Everything else can use tileable textures.

Soooo Bunglo, looking at the reference you've posted, this is the same mesh (different chunks removed tho) and the damage faces got some damage texture applied to it ?

Basically, I've created three modules so far within max. I have max's grid and snap system setup to match that of CE3's so I know that as long as my ending verts are on a grid line, it'll snap with the other meshes in the editor. You can see in the screen below what I mean.

Wnvxr.jpg

When it comes time to create the damaged modules, I'll simply cut out areas of the existing modules, bridge the edges to close the open holes, and change the material ids of the newly created faces to the id that corresponds with the damaged texture.

IGo5p.jpg

I can place the removed chunks on the ground as well so the damaged pieces match up with the damaged arches.

MudUi.jpg

Simple.