2d-chris

Making of CTF-LostTomb (UT4) with commentary

5 hours ago, El_Exodus said:

Just couldn't stop watching this earlier, although i have tons to do :D More!

Edit: One thing though: Turn the music volume down a bit in the next episodes. It's at times distracting from your voice.

Yep thanks, that's exactly what I need to know. 

42 minutes ago, ChA1NsAw said:

Very pleasing to watch and listen to. 

The deep voice lost tomb in the beginning was pretty cringe to me though.

lmao, why so serious? :???:

The map is looking amazing so far.

So the theme of this map will have the ut2004 Egypt Tech? Boy did I love that theme of whole of UT2004, I basically did anything but maps with that theme I just loved using the golds, blues and greens the textures and the light props & trims it offered. It seemed whatever you did with those just looked awesome. Can't wait to see what this turns out in the end.

1 hour ago, WD said:

The map is looking amazing so far.

So the theme of this map will have the ut2004 Egypt Tech? Boy did I love that theme of whole of UT2004, I basically did anything but maps with that theme I just loved using the golds, blues and greens the textures and the light props & trims it offered. It seemed whatever you did with those just looked awesome. Can't wait to see what this turns out in the end.

Hey, thanks! Possibly Egyptian, but perhaps Mayan or even a mixture of that kind of style, I too love the combination of old with new, Temple of Anubis in Overwatch was a big recent inspiration for this, it's certainly not the first to do the mixture of old and new, but it does do it really well. At the end of the day, the artists will have a big stamp on the final direction and theme, but I've learned that if it's built in a way that really excites people it might very well end up somewhere along the lines that I pictured in my mind. 

Thanks Chris for taking the time. Watched the first video and is very interesting to get your insight and not just the action.

I notice your UI of the editor is very crisp, is your monitor more than 1080p, or there's some setting to set in the configuration? Cos mine on a 1080p screen is less readable… dunno if it makes sense.

Loving these vids. I suppose you won't be covering the "Art" phase so I was curious how much work it is to replace all the brushwork with meshes, how many of the pieces do you roughly need, how do you decide what meshes you'll need etc. I guess a lot of it is just communication with an artist, but still I'd be happy for any tips.

5 hours ago, blackdog said:

Thanks Chris for taking the time. Watched the first video and is very interesting to get your insight and not just the action.

I notice your UI of the editor is very crisp, is your monitor more than 1080p, or there's some setting to set in the configuration? Cos mine on a 1080p screen is less readable… dunno if it makes sense.

pretty sure i added a little post sharpening in adobe premier ;P my monitors are 16:10 at 24" though, but that should make no difference 

4 hours ago, tomm said:

Loving these vids. I suppose you won't be covering the "Art" phase so I was curious how much work it is to replace all the brushwork with meshes, how many of the pieces do you roughly need, how do you decide what meshes you'll need etc. I guess a lot of it is just communication with an artist, but still I'd be happy for any tips.

we don't have an asset set that would match this environment yet, and a level this big, lets just say it would be hundreds of hours of work, certainly possible but would be insanely long, when we art this up I will consider something though. Part 6 will actually be a summery of all the changes I made after play testing and most importantly why we were trying them. 

Thank you for this! I have been trying to build some stuff based on some of the more basic tutorials out there I gave up and went back to good ol' source engine. I think this is exactly what I needed to get back into learning the UE4 workflow. Love DM-Biotower btw, tons of hilarious moments on that map.