Psyrius

[Tutorial] Make your own skybox for CS:GO

This is brilliant, thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

No problem! My first goal was to include a HDR tutorial as well. But I didn't find anything that worked. Spent so many hours trying. So I hope I will lengthen someone elses life with this tutorial, so you won't have to spend endless hours of trying without success like I did first ^^

Should've used this tutorial before creating my skybox :D Still managed to make it work though. One thing could make your tutorial even better:

If you render the skybox at max resolution(free version) it's at 900x900px. Enough to upscale the renders to 1024x1024px afterwards for more details. I did this myself and it's looking good ingame imo.

I might try to create more skyboxes after finding this tutorial again :)

Edit:  One more thing: If you want to use env_sun in Hammer, disable the sun disk and maybe "Glow in atmosphere" in Terragen.

Edited by El_Exodus

On 2/26/2016 at 6:04 AM, kinggambit said:

Just what I needed! Thanks! Does anyone know if there's a free alternative to Terragen?  I'm testing out TG's trial and it seems great! Definitely will purchase in the future.

I actually don't know completely free alternative, sorry. But I just wanted to let you know that they just published new policy for student subscriptions. They give terragen 4 for free for students so in case you are one, you can get it for free.

http://terragen4.com/terragen-4-now-free-for-educational-use/

I would highly advise using skydomes instead of editing/authoring skyboxes. Not only is it easier overall, but it also allows you to iterate changes to the sky in the event you need to do so. Being able to quickly paint in additional cloud highlights, sun glare, horizon fog, etc is great for rapid iteration. While it is not impossible with a traditional skybox layout/workflow, adding additional atmospheric layers can become tedious very fast, especially as you might find yourself re-exporting multiple textures, versus one.

Edited by MrTwoVideoCards

1 hour ago, MrTwoVideoCards said:

I would highly advise using skydomes instead of editing/authoring skyboxes. Not only is it easier overall, but it also allows you to iterate changes to the sky in the event you need to do so. Being able to quickly paint in additional cloud highlights, sun glare, horizon fog, etc is great for rapid iteration. While it is not impossible with a traditional skybox layout/workflow, adding additional atmospheric layers can become tedious very fast, especially as you might find yourself re-exporting multiple textures, versus one.

How would you go about doing that? Is it possible to export from a 3D application and still keep the lighting properties?

8 hours ago, MrTwoVideoCards said:

Hmm.. It's always great to hear how to do stuff more efficiently etc, but in this case I bet I'm not the only one who could use tutorial. If you know one, please share link. Thanks. :)

16 hours ago, Dosentti said:

Hmm.. It's always great to hear how to do stuff more efficiently etc, but in this case I bet I'm not the only one who could use tutorial. If you know one, please share link. Thanks. :)

There's a ton of stuff for authoring skydomes in UE3/UE4. It's more or less the same workflow.

22 hours ago, Bevielis said:

...Here's how it looks in Nuke:....

I was pretty surprised to see nuke using a skydome. 

I am familiar with using skydomes in applications like Maya or Nuke, but seeing as the skydome also provides lighting I am not sure exactly how that would work in this game if it was imported. Is it a BSP object? Guess I should check out the existing maps more.