Doom (4)

Sprony

Finally @FMPONE!

You serious about story keeping you engaged? Narrative is so sparse that I don't see how; I had great fun killing anything. Yes is a bit boring but I like the mixes they throw you at. Basically I was liking finding the best combo of attack I could, I didn't have that "reload even if I passed the chockepoint" since HL1 I think.

Dont remember having much trouble with lava, as not falling much in at all. I understand what you mean cos there's a secret in the foundry where you drop at lava level. 

What difficulty you playing at?

3 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Finally @FMPONE!

You serious about story keeping you engaged? Narrative is so sparse that I don't see how; I had great fun killing anything. Yes is a bit boring but I like the mixes they throw you at. Basically I was liking finding the best combo of attack I could, I didn't have that "reload even if I passed the chockepoint" since HL1 I think.

Dont remember having much trouble with lava, as not falling much in at all. I understand what you mean cos there's a secret in the foundry where you drop at lava level. 

What difficulty you playing at?

I'm playing on easy because it's really more fun for me to be able to take in the environments. And man, these are some environments.

I actually am serious about the story, the main robot guy who talks to you I think his name is Samuel Hayden, that's an effective narrative tool for me. The voice is awesome and am currently curious to see why he's so invested in the energy stuff. I like the way the game clearly has a story but it's mostly in the background, it's got a very solid balance of gameplay and narrative imo.

The game is getting more interesting as it goes along, the rune challenges are the skill-based injection that I was craving in the early game, they're stressful enough to be interesting. That and the berserk and haste drops are really effective at giving you the change of pace you need. The game still is a bit monotone, and it's just too slow to introduce new enemy types, but when they do I really like what it provides, the big demons and the floating demons are cool.

Careful with playing on easy tho, you might miss the point of having to use the chainsaw to get health and use melee takedowns to get ammo. Those two elements are the foundation the game lives on, because even though there's items scattered around the world to regain both those things, using chainsaw/takedowns is the way to go when you're in the middle of a firefight.

Fuck this game is so good, you guys are making me wanna play this again! I might try and play it with my steam controller this time around, so I can enjoy it on my couch with 5.1 surround sound, dat soundtrack bro!

Like @[HP] said, at easy is not challenging enough to use the tools, although i understand what you mean about the chainsaw… it's just that now is much more lethal, I'm not sure if the old mechanic would work with these monsters that jump around a lot.

in terms of environment, after a skirmish the area is clear and you can screenshot around as much as you want ;)

i cant remember the challenges if they are accessible to replay just from the menu, I think maybe was one of the things I was wishing for ?

@FMPONE If the only thing keeping you engaged in a doom game is the story then you're most definitely doing something wrong.

IMHO the game really shine when played on a high difficulty level, otherwise there is no incentive to run around dodging projectiles. There's a HUGE difference between Ultra Violence and Nightmare, I can't even imagine how boring it must be on I'm Too Young To Die.

Not to say that I'm a hard ass doom veteran or whatever, I got my ass handed to me. But dying is fun because you get to play glorious gunfights once more. I was more bothered by having to finish the game than by repeatedly dying to some random imp.

Edited by Klems

22 hours ago, Sprony said:

Playing a game who's whole premise is build around push forward combat on easy is like paying a prostitute to clean your house. In both cases you are missing the point.

F you guys, the only prostitute here is me, I'm a graphics prostitute

Argent tower level... 10/10. WOWZA, wew lad

14 hours ago, Radu said:

Didn't you get hl2 vibes there? I couldn't help but get so many memories from hl games while playing Doom. 

8 hours ago, FMPONE said:

ABSOLUTELY! Citadel and hl1 teleport hazard puzzle vibe for sure.

The round layout and going a bit off on the sides reminded me mostly of the tentacle level, I would speculate that was a big influence, alongt he last climb on Citadel in HL2 :) 

cant remember the hazard teleport though…