Medal of Honor

Seldoon182

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sense an idea that came straight from a Marketing think tank.

"Activision is making money hands over fist with their CoD franchise"

"We should try to take a part of that pie! What war franchise do we have?"

"Battlefield is already doing well, we can't risk overflooding the market with another spin-off"

"Ok let's revive Medal of Honor. Modern battles seems to be the new WWII, what can we do with this?"

"I know I know! Let's go for Afghanistan. The conflict is not going to be solved for another few years, so that also gives us plenty of time to think of sequels after the first game!"

The problem is you need to be better than CoD at this point to even stand a chance. So how much money are you going to spend on development AND marketing to even try to take the lead in that race? So either you fail miserably and forget the whole thing, or you make a reasonable amount of cash, but you still need a couple other installments to take that crown. Nevermind the fact that it would be a lot better to give this project to a extremely successful FPS team already, that can stick together for a few more years. The Infinity Ward model so to speak.

Giving the MP to DICE is a nice move, because that's what they do best. And this is also the most important component of the game. But the SP has to kick COD's ass big time. And that will take an enormous amount of talent

I fucking hate it when game companies revive a franchise and just name the game the name of the franchise/first game. Fuck you Sonic the Hedgehog/Wolfenstein/Medal Of Honor!

I also fucking hate that dude's beard. Like, c'mon, ever heard of a razor? :roll:

I'm currently playing through MOH: Allied Assault right now (Call of Duty 0.5) and I'm actually liking it pretty well, except for the prerequisite on rails section and the obviously necessary Normandy Beach level (realistically rendered in that you have like 1/10 chance of surviving to just the first checkpoint because the machinegunners in the pillboxes clearly recognize you, the super soldier who's killed a million nazis, the one player controlled character who's actually a threat, and gun for you to the exclusion of all the other soldiers unless you hide behind cover for a minute).

I sense an idea that came straight from a Marketing think tank.

"Activision is making money hands over fist with their CoD franchise"

"We should try to take a part of that pie! What war franchise do we have?"

"Battlefield is already doing well, we can't risk overflooding the market with another spin-off"

"Ok let's revive Medal of Honor. Modern battles seems to be the new WWII, what can we do with this?"

"I know I know! Let's go for Afghanistan. The conflict is not going to be solved for another few years, so that also gives us plenty of time to think of sequels after the first game!"

The problem is you need to be better than CoD at this point to even stand a chance. So how much money are you going to spend on development AND marketing to even try to take the lead in that race? So either you fail miserably and forget the whole thing, or you make a reasonable amount of cash, but you still need a couple other installments to take that crown. Nevermind the fact that it would be a lot better to give this project to a extremely successful FPS team already, that can stick together for a few more years. The Infinity Ward model so to speak.

Giving the MP to DICE is a nice move, because that's what they do best. And this is also the most important component of the game. But the SP has to kick COD's ass big time. And that will take an enormous amount of talent

Aye, couldn't have said it better myself. I will however give them the benefit of the doubt.

And even though it was far from perfect, then I actually really enjoyed Airbourne, for what it was.

If you play a PMC and just walk around fucking with the populace, hauling people into the streets, stopping cars for no reason, operating outside of any sort of moral or ethical realm, then it might...it might just have a chance.

Truly actions worth of a medal of honor, right?

That's probably my real legit problem with this, there aren't any actually hugely motivating, honorable stories to tell in the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. The absolute best real life scenarios have all been terrorist leaders captured without killing. There's pretty much no good videogame sections you could make based on these situations that wouldn't be just blindly shooting brown people holding AKs.

I mean, the way the COD series has gone far from the original concept of the phrase "call of duty", what with MW2's themes of getting fucked by your superiors etc, but that's not quite as galling as a "Medal of honor" about engaging in a morally dubious conflict that serves no benefit to your home country.

I'd actually like to see someone give scripted WW2 FPS one last big hurrah, ending with a Top Secret mission where you raid Hitler's bunker and kill him, and there's a hidden room easter egg that has an empty robot chaingun suit in it. :-D

If you play a PMC and just walk around fucking with the populace, hauling people into the streets, stopping cars for no reason, operating outside of any sort of moral or ethical realm, then it might...it might just have a chance.

That's probably my real legit problem with this, there aren't any actually hugely motivating, honorable stories to tell in the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. The absolute best real life scenarios have all been terrorist leaders captured without killing. There's pretty much no good videogame sections you could make based on these situations that wouldn't be just blindly shooting brown people holding AKs.

I hope you are kidding and\or is not aware of missions done in Iraq\Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Red_Wing

Any National Geographic documentary from Iraq\Afghanistan on Special Forces etc.

If you just search a bit, you end up realizing that there are tons of very interesting successful, failed or just general missions. It's not all about training the ANA or Iraqi army, or guarding the local burgerking (which PMCs do, amog VIP protection and other boring "railshooter" type scenarios).

I hope you are kidding and\or is not aware of missions done in Iraq\Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Red_Wing

Any National Geographic documentary from Iraq\Afghanistan on Special Forces etc.

If you just search a bit, you end up realizing that there are tons of very interesting successful, failed or just general missions. It's not all about training the ANA or Iraqi army, or guarding the local burgerking (which PMCs do, amog VIP protection and other boring "railshooter" type scenarios).

So a failed mission where the gameplay would be defending a central location until you get knocked out by an explosion? That's not quite up to the super ultra Audie Murphy inspired heroism the past Medal of Honor games have been based on.

Speaking of Audie Murphy, why hasn't there been any games directly based on playing as him? Seems obvious to me. After WW2 he started in over 40 Hollywood movies including one based on his autobiography so it's not like he had a problem with his likeness/actions being used in entertainment.