Quake Champions

Sprony

56 minutes ago, Buddy said:

That screenshot looks better :)

Then your are going to love this. Here's a little bit:

Initially, I was worried by the premise of Quake Champions: a Quake game with a diverse set of of character classes didn't sound like a Quake game to me. Almost immediately after sitting down with the game at PAX East, however, my concerns were wiped away.

Over my first few lives, I rotated between a handful of characters--known as champions--to get a feel for just how different they are and how deeply that variety impacts the gameplay. While they're certainly distinct, they don't impact the game in as meaningful a way as the characters in Overwatch or Team Fortress 2.

Characters have varying amounts of health and armor, as well as movement speed and a unique ability. These include a totem you can deploy to heal teammates and damage foes or one that causes you to rush forward, killing anyone in your path. While pick-ups on the map allow you to speed up their cooldown, these can't be used all that often. The abilities are not hugely impactful--they might win you a fight, but it doesn't seem as if using one is likely to be a match-defining moment, as can be the case with a well-timed Ultimate in Overwatch.

Ranger, whom you'll be able to use for free, quickly became my go-to choice. His movement feels like that of a classic Quake character, but he has the ability to launch an orb that can do damage or that you can teleport to. This was useful for flanking players who were caught off guard, but I still spent the bulk of my time playing no differently than I would in Quake 3: Arena.

Hi,
I was one of the best Quake 2 player in the world for many years so my personal expectations are very high, no good FPS game have been released since QL and that's just Q III all over again. I have no idea why id Software or some other game developer doesn't listen to the old pro players or the scene in general who made Quake what it is today.

We play QL since it's fast, bright, easy to access, mod etc and not for any graphics at all we just want pure FPS with an awesome game engine, maps and weapons!

Please don't let us down we need this!

/BubkeZ

2 hours ago, BubkeZ said:

I have no idea why id Software or some other game developer doesn't listen to the old pro players...

...We play QL since it's fast, bright, easy to access, mod etc and not for any graphics at all

You just answered your own question. It's the same reason people get butt-hurt when graphical updates cause an FPS drop in CS:GO. Some players are just happy with what they've got, but in order to make money developers need to release new stuff and attract new players with pretty graphics and new gameplay hooks. It's a difficult line to tread and there are examples of developers going too far either side, i.e. Quake players feeling abandoned by a lack of new stuff and the UT community being split by too many installments back in the Noughties.