[CS:GO] Rails

Deh0lise

Hi everyone!

I've just released my uberupdatedversion of de_rails, and after telling everyone in the chat about it, it is the time to tell you everyone else the good news!

DOWNLOAD:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251812530

Radar (WIP):
s4RQ0SQ.png

Screens:

85pTNks.jpg
LsYTZfR.jpg
yjerS90.jpg
ItsdItn.jpg
Osw6gBE.jpg
p0wE7fu.jpg
dCNZWSo.jpg
OSYMdXY.jpg
fygFGua.jpg
N6qsOpG.jpg
un9PY1b.jpg
XHggVeT.jpg
DGpUo4o.jpg
6mTrhKL.jpg
CC08ozZ.jpg

Feedback is appreciated!

Edited by Deh0lise

This is a really good approach and definetly an improvement compared to the earlier versions!

I just had a quick look, but I will take some time off this weekend to give you more detailed feedback. I will probably create an imgur-album similar to those I did for rust :)

Still, awesome stuff here! Very impressive

Nice update but...why snow ? Replace it by the sand you had before please :(

For readability. I used sand before because I had those textures done for de_rust, so I didn't had to make any new asset.

Right now I'm not going back  to sand, though I may think about it if I end up doing a daylight version.

Edited by Deh0lise

For readability. I used sand before because I had those textures done for de_rust, so I didn't had to make any new asset.

Right now I'm not going back  to sand, though I may think about it if I end up doing a daylight version.

Ok I understand, but currently, the snow is a little bit out of your setting when we see green grass with green trees. I know that it could be saw in reality but here, on your map, it's a little bit weird. I'm sure you can have a nice sand texture without a loss of readability.

Oh, and about Rust ? Do you planned an update (I like the setting you used :) ) ?

Edited by El Moroes

Ok I understand, but currently, the snow is a little bit out of your setting when we see green grass with green trees. I know that it could be saw in reality but here, on your map, it's a little bit weird. I'm sure you can have a nice sand texture without a loss of readability.

Oh, and about Rust ? Do you planned an update (I like the setting you used :) ) ?

Maybe I should do some brownish grass and use it for de_rust too!

I made some changes in rust but I'm not confident enough with them. I simplified it a lot, but I have to redo an area to make it more enjoyable & pretty. Not close to release yet, but once it's done as will change a lot I will probably do the same as I did with rails, a new release.

just checked out the map, I like it, seems rather fast paced(and that's good imo)

dunno what the map looked like before, but I think we need more snow themed maps

oh and one funny thing   :P

Ups, decals are alive when get close to a displacement. I've noticed another one in a different spot. Will fix for sure.

Thanks guys!

Ok, updated it (and found a bug, players can get stuck crouching close to a snowed crate...).

Here are the changes:

VISUAL
-Inverted specular on snow. No more massive blue reflections
-Fixed a ground texture in ladder CT spawn
-Fixed a concrete texture in B
-Lightened environment shadows
-Added a rail in skylight room (B) to help players notice unreachable area
-Changed the middle vent red light to a blue in order not to confuse newcomers (not a reachable area)
-Made lower steps of A stairs smaller
-Fixed decals being applied to displacements

GAMEPLAY
-Lowered T's entrance platform in A
-Inverted windows wood in house A to facilitate CTs job covering stairs
-Added a fence on A corner to lower in order to prevent cheese position
-Added an additional box and wood planks to mid A corner in order to increase predictability
-Made some lights nonphysic in order to prevent cheese positions
-Fixed map boundaries and abusive spots
-Added a black brush in lower crate A to prevent abusive spotting
-Added a wood plank in CT spawn to reduce CT's fire angle. It made it difficult for T's to spot them in tubes
-Fixed a collisions on a model down A vents that disturbed movement in barrels corner
-Lightened environment shadows in order to help readability
-clipped and resized window brushes on CT spawn to B to increase prediction
-widened a wood plank in middle to help throw grenades

OPTIMIZATION
-made func_detail some missed brushes

TO DO (Among others)
-Further testing of the bombspots with good awpers & smoke strategies
-Change middle door for a breakable model
-Observe lightmaps in order to improve shadows and reduce filesize
-Revise hinting, as in some places it may have aged
-Design and add new signs for bombspots
-Improve some textures (mostly specular and ssbump)
-Improve 2d & 3d skybox
-Further details (v.g snow on few props) & light improvements in certain areas
-Further clipping to make movement smooth
-Navigation mesh for bots

Finally got some time to further investigate the map. It looks really cool and I love it! Great work!

Here is the promised album with detailed feedback and things I encountered on the map. Some things are marked dkii (don't know if intended).

http://imgur.com/a/KlFZ9

Have fun fixing! ;D

WOW, that's a lot of screenshots!

1) Yes, I should use a better image.

2) Ladder is short so Ts going up have to jump, make noise and alert CTs.

3) Only front windows are accesible so you can drop without taking damage and exposing to mid. The rest of the windows were cliped and their ledge removed so players don't abuse and don't get confused.

4) I agree. I have to see how I can manage to make it feel not accessible and, at the same time, provide a good vision from the entrance door to the farther door.

5) Yup, might be a good idea to remove it.

6) I might add more crates to make it feel more natural, but I like how CTs can move on that train, so I'm not sure how I'll solve it

7) This is intended. It might be annoying having to jump, but also offers a good lame spot and the old "underthetrain" feeling. Also you can see CTs in the other pit with this "deepness".

8) Yes, I agree, din't notice. Suggestion accepted.

9) I know, it's weird. If Ts were able to go closer they'd see the end of the highway. I've already brought the fence and a conea bit closer though there is still an important gap.

10) Already noticed, will be fixed in the next update

11 & 12) I'll make a clip ramp in those spots. Depending on the spot I tend not to clip first or last step so you don't go up when moving closer, though as both spots have only one direction gonna change it, it's not necessary.

13) You can through one, not the other one. No one advantage for jump there, but ye, will add a clip for consistency ;)

14) Noticed about pipes (you can jump on), but didn't try the lamp xD. I left pipes because CTs shouldn't rush Ts, just a way to disuade them. Not sure if I'll remove it.

15) Yes, the whole point of that was to prevent that lame position. Now I've made half of that plastic opaque, hope that will help

16) It does for sure. It is to help cover from above. There was a time it was snow and made sense, now is just useful.

17) Fixed. Thanks!

18) Yes I've noticed after published. Already fixed it. That snow is meant to offer cover for CT support / awp.

19) Yes.

20) They were skycrapper windows cleaners in their spare time. You know, those guys do really weird things!

21) I agree. Fixed.

22) Already changed red to blue light for that, but If you felt you could go in I'll add some garbage inside.

23) Noticed after publishing. Already solved.

24) Maybe is a perennial tree :P

25) Made new orange signs for locations, and added a door model. That should do it.

26) Cliped. Thanks

27) Cliped.

28) Mmm... Dunno how I made that.

29) Been warned. You can even throw the bomb behind there. No one will be able to pick it up xD (fixed)

30) Yep. Tested it with players, and 3 was too much. It is a lot of jumping and sound, so I let it be that way.

31) Planning to change some crate models. By now that position feels horrible to me, but will probably be changed with the model.

32) Didn't know that, but you are right. I'll add a black brush.

33) Ye, to much love. I might also add some sort of light source there, I've tried with fire, but distracts too much.

Thank you, that really helps. I'll try to fix it all for the next update ;)

Another update:

VISUALS
-Improved A boundaries
-Modified 3d skybox
-Modified few lights
-Decorated middle windows wood plank
-Added a door model instead of a brush
-Added metal arches in B
-Adjusted fog to give more depth to the level
-Added a broken ladder in middle to indicate the path
-Added a concrete handrail on A stairs

GAMEPLAY
-Increased door open speed (easier rushes and fast upper picks)
-Solved snowed crate stuck bug on A
-Added a ramp on A T’s platform to favor smooth picks
-Added orange bombspot signs so newcomers are better oriented
-Raised A skybox to facilitate throwing grenades (no bounce)
-Added a breakable plank of wood on hole A in order to make boosts more noticeable. There is still a hole you can throw nade/smoke without breaking the wood plank.
-Added a plastic on the scaffolding of arches corridor (B) to improve visibility
-Made half of plastic on A not translucent in order to prevent lame camping spot
-Added a forklift on ramp A to reinforce Ts position and disincentive CTs AWPs in ramp

OPTIMIZATION
-some forgotten brushes have been converted to func_details

There are still many things to work on, but I'm on it