Elysium - From the director of 'District 9'

Mazy

Looks pretty sick, hope it doesn't turn out to be just another generic sci-fi action flicker with cool art (which is the vibe I'm getting from the trailers). But yeah if it's half as good as District 9 than it will already be better than 85% of movies nowadays :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Based on metacritic then the reviews have been sorta average, but everything I'm hearing from people who's seen it is that it's absolutely spectacular~~can't wait until Friday when I've got tickets for it~

I don't get the low scores either. But how can you trust scores when the Avengers has a 8.2 score on imdb lmao (I can't remember a single scene from that trainwreck of a movie tbh)

Just saw it. It's got some super awesome production designs, all the robots and scifi tech looks super cool, and it has some extremely badass scifi tech moments. Teeeeerrible movie tho.

It's so clunky in it's story telling, with the first 30 minutes feeling extremely slow and awkward. Really uninteresting characters, which I could totally forgive for an action flick, but they spend so much time on them that it becomes a problem. The moments when it's got super cool tech stuff are great, but I found myself bored through most of it, and I even went in with fairly low expectations after everyone at work said that it was really bad.

I can see why Mino and HP liked it from a scifi aesthetic point of view, but as an actual movie it's really bad D:

Saw this last night and I have to agree that the sci-fi stuff was freaking cool. The robots looked awesome and some of the weapons were shit-your-pants incredible. 

Especially that gun Matt Damon got on Elysium which shot through the walls and totally destroyed that mercenary guy. There wasn't much left xD

That modified AK47 was fucking cool too.

But I'd have to agree that the story sucked. I didn't care about the characters at all and as Mazy said, they spent way too long trying to flesh them out, make you like them, and failed. 

Overall I did enjoy it and I would say it was worth a watch just for the action and sci-fi stuff alone. Just don't expect the best story.

Edited by Beck

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw it today. I don't read reviews anymore and always try to watch only one trailer. I read the comments above before going in though. To my surprise, I couldn't disagree more. I think the story and the characters were actually pretty good. I appreciate the time they took to set them up, show you the world and how it all comes together in the end. I would even go so far as to say that I loved all the little details they put in to have it make more sense. Talking about characters, the company boss played it real smooth, Jody Foster was great and the mercenaries, especially the leader, were awesome. Great one liners too. Production, design and CGI were all top notch. I really don't understand all the hate out there. They only minor thing that bothered me were the blurry/shaky cam shots in some scenes. But this was trivial. 

I'm in the same boat as Mazy & Buddy on this one. I'm totally sold on the visuals. Robot, vehicles & space station designs (reminded me a bit of the ME's Presidium). Sound design was also spot on and sounded terrific in the cinema. But after seeing district 9 I had higher expectations for the story.

They setup a very decent world and plausible enough conflict between the rulers and the workers, then as soon as Damon gets irradiated it turns into a straigh up action flick.

PS Hated Jodie Foster in this (what's wrong with her accent), but that South African actor really pulled off the crazy unhinged maniac.