Now playing 2010

D3ads

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchased a load of cheap games in the Steam sale -- got some nice bargains there :)

Currently playing:

Super Meat Boy

Fun in short bursts, intermittently frustrating and satisfying, but mostly the latter :) It has a lot of charm. Trying to get an A+ on every level soon takes a toll, especially when using the keyboard instead of a game pad.

BF:BC2

I'm warming up to this now. I still think Dice made some mistakes, though. For example: The medic starts with no medpacks or shock paddles -- you have to unlock them and, when you don't know what the hell you're doing, it takes a while to get the points together. Until that point the medic has his wings clipped; it's a pretty weird decision. Overall I prefer BF2, but BF:BC2 started being a lot more fun once I'd got some unlocks (movement detectors + pump shotty = one shot ambush machine). My KDR has gone from something like 0.5 to 1+ in a few days because I've got some decent kit now. I'm not sure that's a good design decision; they should've dished out all of the basic kit from the start, imo.

The game itself is fast-paced, looks nice (even though I'm playing with everything on low because my machine can't handle it @ 1920 x 1200) and the audio is the best I've heard in any game to date. The only main dislike I have is that the weapons are so effective at all ranges, it means you do a lot of dying without knowing where you're being shot from. In older BF games, the weapons suffered from significant bullet travel & bullet drop timing, whereas I can pistol snipe in BF:BC2 without suffering much loss of accuracy. I guess I'm just a sucker for anything that makes it more of a CQB brawl...

Just Cause 2

Terrible acting, clunky UI and controls, but so much to blow up. I spent an hour just grappling the ground & gliding along a road with my parachute -- very cool. Will come back to this later I think.

Trials 2

Basically elastomania but not nearly as much fun (<3 elastomania). Has possibly the worst UI I've seen in forever, and if you ride your bike past the finish post (because it's not at all clear where the finish is most of the time), you'll wipe out and then have to redo the entire level. grnnnasighdsigh. It's ok for the money but I'm not that bothered about it.

Bully

Played a few hours of this and I think it's pretty good, though the minigames part of it is already starting to grate. I lol'ed when I humiliated a bully and my character grabbed the guy's hands and started punching the guy with his own fists, "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself!" The downside is that it uses an archaic save system and you have to remember to go to your dorm and save the game manually. Already lost about half an hour of play because I forgot to save :( Worth a look though!

Picked up Final Fantasy XIII where I left it half a year ago, stopped playing after 2 hours again... Around 17 hours now.

Geez, the worst game I've played in a very long while. The graphics are pretty good, cutscenes are awsome, weird and cool story (but Hope's a whiny ****), clever battle system.

But dear god... there is no map gameplay, so boring... SO boring, there's more to games than just walking.

But people keep telling me it's better once you reach the sandbox aspect of the game, but now... it's a drag :( Very disappointed.

Singularity turned out really weird. At points it's brilliant. At other points you're fighting a giant terrible kitchen-sinked boss monster that's the worst thing ever in the history of games. The timeline stuff during the time shift events (where you jump backward/forward in time and the world reacts) are fantastic, but on the per-TMDable-object level, you're going to get really tired of collapsing and uncollapsing crates. :| But it's absolutely worth buying, if only for rebuking Activision for leaving it dead on arrival with no support.

Also, we should probably make a new thread, no? :)

the line "you must go back in time and kill yourself" in it

Okay now I really want to play it but now you've also kinda spoiled it. Hmmm.

Not really. The plot starts off with the player character saving a guy in the past that ends up changing the future. The game acts like this itself is a twist late in the game, but you'd have to be braindead not to realize what happened as soon as it happened. One of the possible endings to the game is to stop this act for some reason by shooting yourself instead of something possibly more reasonable like shooting the guy your past self saves or something. Anyway, it's not a game to play for the plot. It's a Raven game, so this shouldn't be a surprise.