[CS:GO] AS_Evac & VIP mode (WIP)

UNREA1

This video from the 90s showcases some of the features. Lower your headphones sound because this shit might damage your ears. Sorry for the pixels!

We're currently working on a gameplay feature that didn't exist in the original game mode, but that we believe might change the game for the better, pretty exciting one!

2 minutes ago, UNREA1 said:

This video from the 90s showcases some of the features. Lower your headphones sound because this shit might damage your ears. Sorry for the pixels!

We're currently working on a gameplay feature that didn't exist in the original game mode, but that we believe might change the game for the better, pretty exciting one!

ok, cant wait to see :D

50 minutes ago, UNREA1 said:

Interesting use of a cinematic type ending, does it only play for the VIP or does every player stop have to watch the take off?

7 minutes ago, fewseb said:

Interesting use of a cinematic type ending, does it only play for the VIP or does every player stop have to watch the take off?

Only the VIP sees it, as he becomes invulnerable to damage and attached to the chopper.

Edited by UNREA1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! Sorry for taking so long.

Last 2 weeks I've been mostly taking care of programing, especially focused on fixing bugs related to the new feature we're bringing to this mode (which by the way has been fully implemented), testing went smoothly and players seemed to really like it which is great! I'll probably be revealing what it is someday this week. Also managed to get some more players feedback on the map, so I've tweaked a few things, but I feel good about where the layout is at.

It wasn't until 2 days ago that I finally decided it was time to work on the level itself. I'm pretty happy with the direction I took.

Some shots:

Spoiler

Mid area. I decided to tackle this weird shape right away because I knew I'd probably keep delaying it if I didn't do it now. Custom tarp.

730_screenshots_20190424182257_1.jpg.41b931c628ec7745c0e763fe149ed75b.jpg730_screenshots_20190424182230_1.jpg.84efdab3b0b92b2ddf961518ca6847c5.jpg

Mid from long windows

730_screenshots_20190424183903_1.jpg.314c85e173a493943718f6c6dc4ae651.jpg

Angle from above

730_screenshots_20190424183805_1.jpg.277e1cb1070e31dba1559048a0d16695.jpg

Mid from CT side

730_screenshots_20190424183743_1.jpg.d0541f806968708996827617748b1d99.jpg

The underpass area Before/After. Sorry it just feels so good to me switching from one to the other. ?

730_screenshots_20190424184202_1.jpg.156aef7335229d37e29d8746c12c1a84.jpg730_screenshots_20190424183436_1.jpg.cc23c5e20af7ac569f27bf67ef865eee.jpg

Same area different angle

730_screenshots_20190424184220_1.jpg.8cf46d7d0374835a851272c4d4256dc7.jpg730_screenshots_20190424183529_1.jpg.2a5006bc506cc24e9d070aa767c4a65d.jpg

CT Mid access Before/After

730_screenshots_20190424184235_1.jpg.b0f89b657c8204c7563e98ec5c97ec50.jpg730_screenshots_20190424183631_1.jpg.ab3bc24884dbb1513c6e1e784403fdaf.jpg

Another angle

730_screenshots_20190424183717_1.jpg.d2601149dc40204d66e8ac9a8df7652c.jpg

This will be the CT Spawn area

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg.bb95ab25314daaee34d8cac5eaa09475.jpg

Opened this ceiling bit to allow for flashbang plays in the last push to the helipad.

730_screenshots_20190424183918_1.jpg.643f5a3d81c562cdd8139228799b58d9.jpg

I missed the Source Engine...

Thanks for checking this out!

Edited by UNREA1

• 2 weeks later...

Aight guys, so as promissed here's the feature we had been working on until recently. With that the gamemode logic is pretty much done and bug free for the most part. We had about 50 bugs and ways to break the game but I believe we did a good job at catching all of them.

So, basicly I thought since we're making this gamemode our own thing, why not try and improve on the concept. I always thought the main issue of VIP mode was team play. You need an extremely communicative team to really have a chance and enjoy the gamemode. I initially thought about giving VIP sort of 2 lives, where if he goes down once, he could be picked up by a team mate and continue playing with no more extra lives. But that seemed a bit too imba.

The next best thing I could think of was making the VIP carriable to the Helicopter if he falls down, while having a bleed out timer. Between our friends, everyone seemed to welcome this change. Resulted in rounds not ending in such an anti-climatic manner, and surprisingly(!) made everything feel more CS-. Basicly the VIP kind of acts as a bomb/hostage carrier. Where its not the end of the world if he dies, but it heavily compromises the round. 

I'd like to hear Mapcores thoughts on this, and also, I'll probably be running some playtests this weekend privately. But I welcome anyone here to join. Add me on Steam if you're interested.

1 hour ago, UNREA1 said:

Aight guys, so as promissed here's the feature we had been working on until recently. With that the gamemode logic is pretty much done and bug free for the most part. We had about 50 bugs and ways to break the game but I believe we did a good job at catching all of them.

So, basicly I thought since we're making this gamemode our own thing, why not try and improve on the concept. I always thought the main issue of VIP mode was team play. You need an extremely communicative team to really have a chance and enjoy the gamemode. I initially thought about giving VIP sort of 2 lives, where if he goes down once, he could be picked up by a team mate and continue playing with no more extra lives. But that seemed a bit too imba.

The next best thing I could think of was making the VIP carriable to the Helicopter if he falls down, while having a bleed out timer. Between our friends, everyone seemed to welcome this change. Resulted in rounds not ending in such an anti-climatic manner, and surprisingly(!) made everything feel more CS-. Basicly the VIP kind of acts as a bomb/hostage carrier. Where its not the end of the world if he dies, but it heavily compromises the round. 

I'd like to hear Mapcores thoughts on this, and also, I'll probably be running some playtests this weekend privately. But I welcome anyone here to join. Add me on Steam if you're interested.

What happens to the VIP player in this situation, do they die and go to spectate or are they stuck not being able to move while they sit and get picked up?

33 minutes ago, fewseb said:

What happens to the VIP player in this situation, do they die and go to spectate or are they stuck not being able to move while they sit and get picked up?

They're effectively "dead". Spectating the game as a dead player.

18 hours ago, UNREA1 said:

They're effectively "dead". Spectating the game as a dead player.

Specifically what we actually do is spawn a hostage where the now-dead VIP was. What you see kneeling down isn't the VIP player, it's the hostage with a custom model and animation.

So the player dies just like in any other gamemode, and can spectate like normal.

(I'm the guy behind the vscripting part of the mode)

Edited by birjolaxew

Considering the availability of medikits thanks to Danger Zone, have you played with the idea of a classic revive mechanic (a-la L4D).

The “fallen teammate” mechanic you descrive I do like, but seems a bit boring for the player that could be spectating almost the whole round.

My suggestion above comes from the fact that if all CT are killed the VIP could still escape [after being revived]. They are a dead man anyway I believe.

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

Considering the availability of medikits thanks to Danger Zone, have you played with the idea of a classic revive mechanic (a-la L4D).

The “fallen teammate” mechanic you descrive I do like, but seems a bit boring for the player that could be spectating almost the whole round.

My suggestion above comes from the fact that if all CT are killed the VIP could still escape [after being revived]. They are a dead man anyway I believe.

I have considered this yes, it was my first thought having the VIP laying on the ground when he's "killed", and team mates could help him get up again. But that felt very imbalanced (atleast in my opinion) because it kind of makes CTs have one more man over the Ts. You could literally send the VIP front line just to get info even if he dies, you get the trade and pick the VIP back up. I feel this solution made more sense, and since its already part of CS (kinda with the hostage mechanic) it could be more intuitive. And it doesn't mess with player numbers, VIP dies, now CTs have minus one player and that's the punishment for them being trash. :P I really just wanted to give a bit of hope even if the VIP is killed that the round isn't over yet, that said it's still pretty hard to get him on your back because he'll usually die exposed.

37 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Yeah that makes sense, I just thought might be boring for the VIP player as they might spend lots of time in spectator.

Cant really talk without trying. You clearly have given lots of thought to this so best of luck in debugging it and getting it out :)

One would assume the VIP is randomly selected every round, would suck to be the gimped player every round.