[CS:GO] de_Iris

Oliver

Hey Mapcore. I'm working with @BubkeZ on a new project. goo.gl/zx6Z1h 

promo01a.thumb.jpg.817258bddcc03077ec535033f906d5e3.jpg

We are making a new competitive bomb/defusal map, that takes place in a charming small town somewhere in the US of A.

The map features a lot of traditional american exterior elements and takes inspiration from the 1950s.

We are still looking for feedback on the layout. Feel free to test it out and leave feedback on it! :) 

---

@BubkeZ is responsible for the layout and gameplay, and also is contributing to the design process.
I'm responsible for producing all the art, so props, textures and the map composition.

@BubkeZ's vision with this map is to create a fast-paced competitive bomb/defusal map with an open skybox, which creates interesting gameplay with its verticality.

When it comes to the visual design, we wanted to capture the feeling of a typical american small town. To keep the theme fresh and interesting, I had the idea to ground the map in the 50s. So the map will have a Diner, an auto service shop, an Ice Cream bar and lots of different types of establishments that you can find in a small town.

The map is in its early stages still, but we are making a lot of progress by the day. We will update you here when we have something new to show, so stay tuned!

We are going to post more screens and behind-the-scenes stuff on this thread later this week! :D 

Edited by Oliver

On 2018-04-12 at 2:10 PM, F0cu5 said:

Cool theme - what is the significance of the name Iris?

Cheers mate! I came up with the name Iris because I think it's a great clean and simple name and ofc also the meaning of creating colours. The name is also ambiguous so it's open for interpretation, but I thought it rolled nicely off the tongue and it ties somewhat with the theme.

Wait, you're actually the creator of Mirage?? I thought it was valve created? Maybe an earlier version? 

Either way, I love the theme but don't make it unrealistically old. I think it definitely looks good, and I can't wait to see more. I will jump on to the greybox as soon as I get home! 

7 hours ago, flickaa said:

Wait, you're actually the creator of Mirage?? I thought it was valve created? Maybe an earlier version? 

Either way, I love the theme but don't make it unrealistically old. I think it definitely looks good, and I can't wait to see more. I will jump on to the greybox as soon as I get home! 

Yes I'm the author/creator of Mirage, small world.

Thanks for the feedback, we are trying to make it look like an "forgotten" small town during present time.

48 minutes ago, BubkeZ said:

Yes I'm the author/creator of Mirage, small world.

Thanks for the feedback, we are trying to make it look like an "forgotten" small town during present time.

Yes! That's exactly what I wanted it to be! I have actually been walking around on the map and I'm impressed. The only thing I see, is that mid looks very complicated (we'll have to see how it plays out). I love B site, it might be one of my favorite sites of all time. I love the timing, the cover, the entrances, and basically everything. I would add some cover on A site, in the corner towards long, but other than that it is a really cool and unique layout!

#latetotheparty but like I said on Twitter, this is great. This is what I had in mind when I previously said it would be cool to have more "COD" (stylized) maps.

It would be even cooler if Valve did thematic operations, like imagine to replace the player models with police from the 30s for example, versus a mafia family group :D
Also having historic weapons would be fun for a change... at least, that's my opinion.