MikeGon

Opal

Even if I had lost my progress, I think I would just start a new map from scratch - I really want to finish a CS:GO map for once!

Thank you Gauss :)

Edited by MikeGon

I did not know Hammer had that - it indeed has a few recent versions of my map!!

However I have now fully recovered from this issue so I don't need it now, but that is a VERY useful thing to know, thanks for sharing! :)

Obviously its your Grandma. But seriously I see great potential .  The stairs to the left in the second screenshot seem to have very large risers.

Congrats, looks and feel like a nice little coastal town. I need to check it in-game, you have that underground route straight away for Ts that reminds me of a layout I had started and never finished (for me was on CT side)

Edited by blackdog

7 hours ago, gav said:

Obviously its your Grandma. But seriously I see great potential .  The stairs to the left in the second screenshot seem to have very large risers.

@gav Aha! Nice catch - You are totally right

Those risers will be improved and will look better in the next update. Thank you ;)

@blackdog Thank you captain!! That map you're referring too - Maybe you could dust it off and finish it? :D

20 hours ago, MikeGon said:

@blackdog Thank you captain!! That map you're referring too - Maybe you could dust it off and finish it? :D

Thank you, I sure hope so, I have so many projects left in my drawer... I was a bit put off by the amount of other maps using the setting. It was meant to be Cinqueterre and soon after I started IO came out with their Sapienza Hitman chapter :(

7 hours ago, blackdog said:

Thank you, I sure hope so, I have so many projects left in my drawer... I was a bit put off by the amount of other maps using the setting. It was meant to be Cinqueterre and soon after I started IO came out with their Sapienza Hitman chapter :(

Ahh I know that feeling :(

The way I like to see it is "everything has been done already anyways", but that's okay - because you can still do it with your own touch, and have a unique take on it!

...besides, there's no Cinque Terre map for CS:GO right now, at least that I'm aware of - so you could totally do that :D

So this map is set in Greece,

but both Italian and English police barriers are present at ct spawn, along with an American style police car, then the police on this map are supposed to be the British SAS? Granted the SAS work for this map, its just that they wouldn't be the police force

Also, some of the stairs are really big, like too big. I dont know if this is inspired from real life, buts it odd when you just glide up huge stairs.

15 hours ago, fewseb said:

So this map is set in Greece,

but both Italian and English police barriers are present at ct spawn, along with an American style police car, then the police on this map are supposed to be the British SAS? Granted the SAS work for this map, its just that they wouldn't be the police force

Also, some of the stairs are really big, like too big. I dont know if this is inspired from real life, buts it odd when you just glide up huge stairs.

This is where my lack of custom assets is starting to show :lol:

Based on my references, the town has both English and Greek signage all over, so English should be fine

For the Italian stuff, I'm trying to replace them by custom Greek assets as a top priority... 

I flipped all the Italian police barriers so their text is facing outside the play area... but thanks to you I just noticed that there's also some text on the yellow stripes on the mesh

image.png

...so I already replaced them, this will be part of the next update :)

For the police car, I couldn't find exactly what I needed, but I felt like this was close enough to start with:

image.png.96353f2a250f7f544d67ee99e32102df.png

As for the player models, I simply kept my very first iteration up until now, because they felt cool :lol: 

but you're right, it doesn't make sense - so I replaced them with Leet crew for Terrorists (almost went for the Anarchists, but they look too much like a boy band to me)

...and I went with SEAL for the CTs, visually they're the closest from the actual Greek military forces:

image.png.f1c9b213e746b73d13cbfac3694acb57.png

For stairs - It's based on real references, but if that feels awkward (and that's not the first time I hear that), then I will replace them. Here's what I did to the platform at CPA:

image.png.06e8ce69e03906bba4a6cf6bbd3b750d.png

(To lower the height of the steps, I had to scale down the whole stair, which made me lower the platform, but then there wasn't enough space to walk under it comfortably, so I had to create this "dip" in the ground under it, etc.)

Basically I'll have to do some adjustment like this for every stairs that has high steps... working on it!

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Edited by MikeGon

7 hours ago, MikeGon said:

As for the player models, I simply kept my very first iteration up until now, because they felt cool :lol: 

but you're right, it doesn't make sense - so I replaced them with Leet crew for Terrorists (almost went for the Anarchists, but they look too much like a boy band to me)

To be fair, if went off the real life inspirations for the separatists, they could operate in Greece, they certainly match the theme as well.

Hey guys, just wanted to share some updates I've made on the de_Opal, thanks to the community's feedback :) :

bsa01.jpg.2f1fbaed823ec0b0874aba19c7e60d95.jpg

v1.04
-Fixed an issue where a brush surface would be invisible, at CPA (Thanks @K'nuckles)
-Blocked a spot where we could boost up and shot onto BSA from mid (Thanks @Bungalow)
-Fixed an issue where a large part of the sky box was being shadowed, in the environment near TS
-Added windows on a few skybox houses
-Replaced police barriers with Italian text by news ones with English text
-Added decals and small props in the tunnels near TS
-Player models for Ts are now "Leet Crew"
-Player models for CTs are now "Seal"

v1.05
-Added fog (very subtle, to create a blue atmosphere)
-Decals pass, especially in mid and in the underground areas (Thanks @z0ro4rk)
-Added decorative a door at CPB
-Added small patches of grass on the streets
-Added more details to some house facades
-Significant art pass in CPB connector (the industrial room with the metal staircase)
-Added new props (clay pots, shop signs and animated Greek flag) in the streets
-Fixed an issue where a large part of the skybox near TS would be fully shadowed
-Updated position of small rectangular hole in wall on BSA (it gave CTs and exploitable LOS)

There's more on the way! Here are the main tasks I'm tackling for the next update:

-Add more details to the sky box (small houses still don't have windows...)

-Fix the shadow flickering bug on the ground at CT spawn

-Fix the issue where some small brush faces appear as completely black even with final compile

-Fix issue where the bones on "Greek flag" model don't move the way they're supposed to

-Improve performance (size of some lightmaps could still be reduced, etc.)

...and Here's a couple more screenshots:

ts01.jpg.9919b5b1a9ffec9546049dd680a678a4.jpg

bsb01.jpg.56ca84b1f29fdffc1edde633158fb63d.jpg

cts03.jpg.5d1aadaaa90aaa0b37a63542da4b0c0a.jpg

Happy Holidays everybody,  I hope 2018 will be your most productive year ever! :D

Edited by MikeGon