de_oakwood

Freaky_Banana

35 minutes ago, Smileytopin said:

Just a minor thing, as I'm running through it I noticed that on B site the glass on the top isn't breakable, and the bomb decal extends to a spot you cannot plant. The glass above B site feels like it should be breakable, as glass with that texture is breakable throughout the rest of the map. It'll also allow more nades into site.

The decal on B - The floor decal that marks the plant zone shows on the floor behind the big crate, yet you cannot plant there (the big box, you cannot plant near ct there). Either move the decal inwards so it cannot be seen on the floor in spots you cannot plant, or extend the plant zone.

Actually the glass is breakable. Its health is simply set to 50, because I wanted to prevent smokes from being thrown into the site from outside. That would give Ts an unfair advantage imo.

Concerning the decal, it's true, you cannot plant in front of the big box, but infront of the small. I will try to fix the lines though :) .

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Freaky_Banana

So far, this map is looking really good! A couple of changes that I'd like to see, moreso as reccomendations than "this must me done". :

- Right next to area 9 there's a snipers nest that I think could be used in the map well. Giving a sunroof that's poppable in one throw could allow easy and useful smokes to block out the position, or just throwing one across as you pass could help cancel its power.

- Have small ledges on the rocks around the entries to A and B to peek over the walls. I'd like these because it allows peeks into other positions just via knowing the map well, and not needing a teammate.

- Make ALL sunroofs one-nadable. The roof above B is not grenadable in one nade, throwing off the rest of them and confusing newer players. In my opinion, it's not worth ruining the balance of the sunroof aspect of the map to include that, and it only costs $100 to weaken to poping, or $150 to pop completely via decoys.

- Rename the paths completely. As this seems like it's tring to be a fancier lab similar to a season feel, having a spray-painted A and B are quite peculiar. Instead, I think completely renaming the areas would be better, such as sectors A and B, with A being a more computer-y, science-y, and lab-y area bringing labs or offices behind glass and generally more computers/monitors. B could be the generator/mechanical area with more complex and interesting models.

Besides those reccomendations, this map looks really good, especially for a white wall. I'd definately like to be able to contact you about this map, so if you're interested in that I'd love a PM to be able to add you on steam or whatever and talk to you a little more.

Good luck in the future, you won't need it, this is going the right direction! - Pumbliss

So first off, thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate that people think so much about what may benefit my map :) ! Second, there were a few things I had problems understanding unfortunately, but maybe I can get to understand your feedback better by asking you :D

25 minutes ago, Pumbliss said:

Right next to area 9 there's a snipers nest that I think could be used in the map well. Giving a sunroof that's poppable in one throw could allow easy and useful smokes to block out the position, or just throwing one across as you pass could help cancel its power.

Are you referring to the area in T-mid and T-B marked with a brown nine on page one of this thread? If that is so, I assume that the "snipers nest" would refer to this: 

56f869f9e4ab1_Bmain.thumb.jpg.b112ca4f5c

Could you further explain how you think that this nest would benefit the map ? I would like some more insight on that!

Have small ledges on the rocks around the entries to A and B to peek over the walls. I'd like these because it allows peeks into other positions just via knowing the map well, and not needing a teammate.

Do you mean the stones really close to the entries (the ones on B T-side)? Or are you talking about the ones from behind which Ts set up their takes (e.g. in T-side of A Long).

Make ALL sunroofs one-nadable.

OK, I will ;) .

Rename the paths completely. As this seems like it's tring to be a fancier lab similar to a season feel, having a spray-painted A and B are quite peculiar. Instead, I think completely renaming the areas would be better, such as sectors A and B, with A being a more computer-y, science-y, and lab-y area bringing labs or offices behind glass and generally more computers/monitors. B could be the generator/mechanical area with more complex and interesting models.

I wanted to do that as soon as I start creating custom assets for the map. In the meantime I thought that the spray's color would fit the lighting and mood of the map rather well. So it will stay around for now ;) .

One big thing I think I have to disclaim clearly is that A is supposed to be under a huge ones of these:

radarkugeln.jpg.c0790306cb1d70b2bab72b3d

and with a big satellite bowl on top of the big strut in the middle of the site. This means there will be no peaking into A from A Long and no high grenadethrows from A Long into A-site. 

B is supposed to be the server where the data received via the satellite bowl is stored temporarily ( the small box beside the big one being the workstation from which the server is operated).

Besides those reccomendations, this map looks really good, especially for a white wall. I'd definately like to be able to contact you about this map, so if you're interested in that I'd love a PM to be able to add you on steam or whatever and talk to you a little more.

Good luck in the future, you won't need it, this is going the right direction!

Thanks a lot! Hearing this from other people means a lot to me :) ! I will PM you ;) .

Cheers! 

Edited by Freaky_Banana

Ok guys, 

first off thanks to everyone who took part in the playtest! 

Second, I gladly announce that @Shibou has now picked up work on this project as well, and will help me to complete it. He was already a large contributor to the map and with him on the team, I believe that de_Oakwood will become a great map!

We will analyse the demo and the feedback together and will try to more or less regularly update this thread! Look out for them screenshots ;) . 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Right now the map is undergoing heavy WIP. We are trying to implement some slight verticality here and there.

Especialy Bombsite A and A-Long are being completely redesigned, but for that reason there are no screenshot worth being posted yet.

Spoiler

First of all, an allready outdated map. But its good enough for orientation as the following screens will use these call outs.

Radar 12 a.jpg

Some lifted area with benches at Steps (Way to B)

de_oakwood_13_river30005.jpgde_oakwood_13_river30007.jpg

View from T-Mid to reception, which has been slightly lifted too.

de_oakwood_13_river60000.jpgde_oakwood_13_river60002.jpg

The Building that is seperating T-Mid from CT-Mid got some fake-Interior for further realism. (not realy necessary, but it shows how it could look like in the future.)

de_oakwood_13_river60004.jpg

The tiny Building at Connector (Trafo) is now accessable. We thought to add this feature for potential counter rushes, Yet it is hardly to be abused as a single mollow can clear it.

Trafo.jpg

de_oakwood_12_a_3shibou20005.jpg

I hope you like it.

• 1 month later...

We are going through a series of multiple iterations on the map Layout. Hopefuly they'll turn out as beneficial ones...

there are 3 major changes:

1. To add some more verticality to the map whole bombsite A is now lifted 1 floor up.

2. The path from A has been completely redesigned. There is now a river/water that flows into a canal which is the Terrorists new path to A. From that canal they can use 2 stairs up to the Bombsite A.

3. Rotation path between A and B called "safe" has been removed, Its only purpose was to be able to rotate without beeing visible whilst passing mid. For that purpose we now added a small building at the end of mid that blocks visibility. For the same reason, and to tweak timing CT-Spawn has been moved closer to mid. (its now right from the new building)

some pictures:

Spoiler

de_oakwood_13_river190000.jpg

View from "hut" to mid showing the new implemented Building infront of "mid".

de_oakwood_13_river190002.jpg

View into CT-Part of Mid, standing infront of the new building.

de_oakwood_13_river190003.jpg

View into T-Part of Mid: on the left: way to CT-Spawn and B; on the right: path to A over "reception"

de_oakwood_13_river190004.jpg

The new path to A. On the left: the T-Lobby. On the right: the water that was to be passed. In the baground the elevated Building which hosts Bombsite A.

de_oakwood_13_river190005.jpg

View onto the new Building from shifted CT-Spawn.

de_oakwood_13_river190008.jpg

Inside-View of the new Building (We dont have a Name for it yet.) which is supposed to be the safe rotation path.

de_oakwood_13_river190009.jpg

Mid entrance (CT-Side).

de_oakwood_13_river190010.jpg

View on the path to A from CT.

de_oakwood_13_river190011.jpg

The Hallway (A-Main) where the two stairs, coming from the river/canal underneath lead to. Bombsite A is just behind the Wall on the left side of that picture.

de_oakwood_13_river190012.jpg

View onto the river from A/Canal entrance.

de_oakwood_13_river190018.jpg

View onto the river coming from T-Lobby: The evil terrorists broke a fence to get to the canal ...

de_oakwood_13_river190017.jpg

View from B Trafo-Building/Connector.

I hope you like it. Feedback is highly appreciated as usual. :D

I got the strange feeling that I've to do something against all the claustrophobic interior parts of the map. Bright surfaces and glass seem to be the solution.
 Between Bombsite B and CT-Part of Mid is now a room (just decoration) that allows to look from Mid into entrance of B. The sightlines will be more blocked by other stuff. I am trying to let it look like an office.

Yet i like the idea that careless players rushing through Mid might be seen from B and catch a hit from there.

t0YPmNz.jpg

CWybqAe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heyho guys,

we just wanted to share our progress on oakwood. After loads of planning, blocking and private testing, we are now confident enough to reveal the changes made to A!

I will give you a brief rundown of what changed, illustrated by the following screenshots, which I collected during playtests with Shibou.

We have moved the entire A-site one level up, and added this balcony outside, which you have to take to get into A from CT-side 

A outside5-.jpg

Surrounding the balcony is the newest part of the map, in which I messed about a bit with the environment oakwood is placed in. (I still have to fix the shadows on the cliffs though :P )

A outside.jpg

This is the view towards balcony from CT-side. The forklift is an alternate path up onto the balcony, offering a new angle of approach Ts have to defend against. (the door is glitched, it's supposed to be metal and not black ^^)

A outside3.jpg

The view from the bottom of the balcony's acces ramp towards small and CT-spawn

A outside4.jpg

The T-side of A has been turned into a riverbed leading up to the Ts new entrances into the site, located in the sewer system of the facility.river1.jpg

river2.jpg

The terrorists have the choice to either rush straight up through here:

river3.jpg

or take the safer way around and into the back of the halls around the A-site. 

The last entrance is the one through mid. We added verticality here as well: 

A inside9-.jpg 

A inside8+.jpg

And finally the site itself. We move in from balcony (CT-side)

A inside.jpg

get into the site ...

A inside2.jpg

and have a look around...

A inside3.jpg

before we exit into the halls (tunnels) around the site: (here we're looking from the halls into site) 

A inside4.jpg

this shot shows the two new T-entrances intot the area surrounding A.

A inside7-.jpg

A inside 11.jpg

Last but not least, a really cool picture of a version we temporarily (and only accidentaly) had. (bounce-values are important guys!)

A Negativ.png

disclaimer for this post:

Yes, the satellite bowl and the radome above A-site are only temporary placeholders which we're looking to replace with proper models asap! (Any help is appreciated :) ! )

These pictures were taken in a fast-compiled version!

All textures can still be changed, none of them are definitely final, but let us know what you think about the direction this project is going :) !

Cheers!

Edited by Freaky_Banana