[CSGO] de_cargo

Lizard

You're making nice progress, but you definitely do need a consistent theme now

I recommend looking at movies, other games, concept art, etc. to help find something you're interested in personally

Detroit Train Depot ;)

I already heard that somewhere xD

That's the joke.

No idea how it even compiled if it's missing a bombsite :D

Guess I need to look at the BSP :P

You need a bombsite to compile!?

No you don't. Zero bombsites = elimination map. One bombsite = demolition map.

To be clear. Demolition map should have "Heist mode bomb target" set to yes.

You're making nice progress, but you definitely do need a consistent theme now

I recommend looking at movies, other games, concept art, etc. to help find something you're interested in personally

I would like to ask what do you mean by "consistent theme". Would you like to explain me a little bit?

You can better visualize the idea of a "consistent theme" by asking yourself a few key questions:

1. Where in the world does my level take place in geographically?

2. What type of theme am I going for -- clean (Season, Train, Agency) or dirty (Cache, Dust, Overpass)? In-between? a mix of the two?

3. What type of emotions do I want to evoke in players? Are they going to feel cheerful when they play this level or is it bleak, or is it cool and interesting, what is the vibe of the level?

4. What is the story of your level -- are players trying to blow up a gas station? What kind of gas station? Is it in the desert or in a big city?

5. What films, concept art, or games provide reference images for this sort of theme?

Then you match the art of your level to help address these questions for yourself and for players.

I think it would be helpful for Lizard that someone who did not make the map report what they believe the answer to each of these questions is to make an example of what vibe the map currently gives them so he can enhance/edit accordingly to make his intended vibe more clear.

1. Probably some sort of Russian/European shipping station or something...?

2. Something pretty dirty like Cache. Something run-down.

3. Theres a strong bleak vibe like the place was abandoned decades ago. You can sort of feel the weight of the dead memories in the area.

4. They appear to be trying to blow up this useless abandoned shipping station...what is the purpose? They don't have much of a reason to blow it up except to make a point or something...

5. Cache sort of. Also some of those sites that show abandoned places/factories remind me of this map.

Overall, you definitely want a little more reasoning behind each of the sites and why the place is worth blowing up. In addition, because it is so easily attributed to cache is sort of a bad sign. You need something special about your map to add character. Maybe, again, color? Or perhaps an/multiple interesting landmarks in the 3d skybox or around the map? Something that will set this map apart, allowing players to marvel at it.

Thanks for reading,

-D.S.

Edited by dsillman2000

You can better visualize the idea of a "consistent theme" by asking yourself a few key questions:

1. Where in the world does my level take place in geographically?

2. What type of theme am I going for -- clean (Season, Train, Agency) or dirty (Cache, Dust, Overpass)? In-between? a mix of the two?

3. What type of emotions do I want to evoke in players? Are they going to feel cheerful when they play this level or is it bleak, or is it cool and interesting, what is the vibe of the level?

4. What is the story of your level -- are players trying to blow up a gas station? What kind of gas station? Is it in the desert or in a big city?

5. What films, concept art, or games provide reference images for this sort of theme?

Then you match the art of your level to help address these questions for yourself and for players.

I always love reading something that seems like it should be so obvious but I've completely missed.

brb, reassessing my entire map.

4. They appear to be trying to blow up this useless abandoned shipping station...what is the purpose? They don't have much of a reason to blow it up except to make a point or something

Well that's basically half of today's CS maps :D it's just with GO and I would say with the custom maps that we started having really vivid and bright maps (but still the environment doesn't feel so alive)