Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

Well I am off for the weekend so hopefully my map works, its pretty dark in sections which isn't intended.

I'm hoping for useful feedback for stage 2 :)

On 28/4/2016 at 9:30 AM, FX said:

Thanks for your help! Didn't seem to work so I ended up making the entire level from scratch again. 

Now I have issues packaging the map, when it ends the process it creates a 3KB file that (of course) doesn't work in UT4... Any tips? Am I missing something important in the World Settings of my map?

1c566bfe42a0ec23e07d1e7d8196d372.png

Sorry for newbie questions, It's my 1st time making a map for UT4

EDIT: Ok It seems fixed now, I had some warnings on compiling navigation :D

Edited by dry0n

11 hours ago, dry0n said:

Thanks for your help! Didn't seem to work so I ended up making the entire level from scratch again. 

Now I have issues packaging the map, when it ends the process it creates a 3KB file that (of course) doesn't work in UT4... Any tips? Am I missing something important in the World Settings of my map?

1c566bfe42a0ec23e07d1e7d8196d372.png

Sorry for newbie questions, It's my 1st time making a map for UT4

EDIT: Ok It seems fixed now, I had some warnings on compiling navigation :D

What editor are you using?  The regular unreal editor or the unreal tournament editor?

Make sure you save the work as DM-PowerPlant-V01  This way it will work with DM and you also have version number as you progress. Also make sure to name the title of your map in the world settings as Poerplant-01  and so on.. This way it will all match and cause less confusion for players and server admins.

Secondly, do you have enough free hard drive space?

Question am I saving the file the correct way so you guys can play my version of the game?

And also does the enemies have to be working, or is it this base for level design skills? 

Thank you,

Leon

AlienMap.t3d

8 hours ago, leoncoachman said:

Question am I saving the file the correct way so you guys can play my version of the game?

And also does the enemies have to be working, or is it this base for level design skills? 

Thank you,

Leon

AlienMap.t3d

It t3d the file format you saved it as?  If so that won't work.  It has to be a PAK file.  Are you using the Unreal Tournament version of the editor?

Man I've lost work to corrupted brushes a few times now :(. I see it's still an open bug at epic. I wonder if it's because they are doing a revamp in the future. I see it's on the trello of upcoming features. 

What is all the necessary steps to make sure my map is ready before phase 1 submission? And how do I get a neat minimap screenshot? Not home at the moment so I don't have time to Google right now. I will try to finish it all tonight and submit my level :) 

18 hours ago, FX said:

What editor are you using?  The regular unreal editor or the unreal tournament editor?

Make sure you save the work as DM-PowerPlant-V01  This way it will work with DM and you also have version number as you progress. Also make sure to name the title of your map in the world settings as Poerplant-01  and so on.. This way it will all match and cause less confusion for players and server admins.

Secondly, do you have enough free hard drive space?

Thanks for your response and tips! I did fix the packaging issue. I was using some Jump pads on walls and overlapping two powerups in the Z axis. I think this is what make the navigation crash.

EDIT: Problems fixed, shows up in menus. Originally a thread asking for help, but thank god 'sharing' is quicker the 2nd time around... so for now just last-minute criticisms, as I didn't work on this enough until recently.. not enough testing... though, enjoy! ;) 

DM-WINNOWS: http://www.mediafire.com/download/83czj9h9ywug5oy/DM-Winnows-WindowsNoEditor.pak

winnows01_zpsvj3w4sja.pngwinnows02_zpsbc93h31c.pngwinnows03_zpsqqekvxdo.pngwinnows04_zpsqrrag7bm.pngwinnows05_zpsgnv1pn7m.pngwinnows06_zpsmwtamad8.png

Edited by ShadesMaster

Phase 1 of the Unreal Tournament contest with Epic Games ends tomorrow 21:00 GMT+1. Be sure to submit your map here.

Did it. :D

Might update the link on both pages yet again in a bit, though - there were collision issues with a curved cylinder mesh I was using in spots, particularly by the Basilica. Replaced with the default cylinder.

Just updated mine, all links changed. Minor changes including the shock rifle I forgot to add, collision fixes and the like. Reversed Health Keg and Shield Belt pickups, for the best, though I still consider this V01 of the map....