Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

3 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

Are you certain this is absolutely mandatory or is this just a workaround to test the maps in Showdown on your server? Because last time I checked DM-Chill was not set to a specific gamemode and that one is obviously working in Showdown. I don't think I'll be able to change the world settings and re-package my map before tonight.

1 hour ago, Vilham said:

Yeah the instructions from Epic specifically state not to change the world settings game mode

There's your @FrieChamp answer, it's simply something I do in order to get my server working. I'm quite sure I'm not doing it properly but as of know I just care that it's running at all.

That's some good info though Vilham.

Edited by Sjonsson

Edit: Re-paked for new update. New download link.   @Sjonsson  Updated my .pak with some minor layout alterations after the test we had. I won't be able to playtest with you during the week, but perhaps you could PM me det.'s of any discussion that ocurrs? Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67491617/UT/DM-Foundry-009-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Edited by Sigma

It's done. You can play your maps on the official hub's now. This is just a heads up. More details will follow in a upcoming article.

• Start Unreal Tournament.
  • Select 'Find a match'.
  • Select a hub (has an Epic logo in front of it) that supports Showdown.
  • Press 'Join' in the lower right corner (do not join a specific game mode, join the hub).
  • Select 'Start new match'.
  • Select your map, wait or invite players and have some fun!

15 hours ago, Sprony said:

It's done. You can play your maps on the official hub's now. This is just a heads up. More details will follow in a upcoming article.

Thanks! I think this is the best way for everyone to do play testing.

Really good video Nato!

Does anybody know if the rounding errors in the current editor are a concern at all? I'm not greatly familiar with how UE4 optimizes and rotating actors really bugs me and I want to manually input every rotation value even though it's a terrible waste of time to do that. I'm guessing we just have to put up with it and there isn't any kind of fix until the next version.

On 27/05/2016 at 5:42 AM, Mangley said:

Really good video Nato!

Does anybody know if the rounding errors in the current editor are a concern at all? I'm not greatly familiar with how UE4 optimizes and rotating actors really bugs me and I want to manually input every rotation value even though it's a terrible waste of time to do that. I'm guessing we just have to put up with it and there isn't any kind of fix until the next version.

Ignore it. All engine suffer from this, for some reason we show it :P

Hey everyone! So yesterday I started replacing my white boxed layout with actual assets and since I don't have time to create all new assets I will be using some stuff from the game library. I will be using some of the big rock/mountain assets and I realised that their collision is quite imprecise. Due to this I tried out a method where I disabled the collision of the assets and manually placed blocking volumes. However, this is a very tedious method and now I'm trying to figure out if there's a better way. Does anyone of you have ideas?

I was thinking of duplicating the stock content and generate new collision meshes for them but they will probably be quite complex and I'm not sure if that's good performance-wise. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want my map to fall on optimization issues.

A big thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, Vilham said:

The epic maps are all entirely blocking volumed, not even sure why they bother with normal collision on the assets at all.

If that's the case, why the heck is there no 'replace BSP with blocking volume'-functionality?! D: 

Life is hard.

Would a 'nodraw'-material on BSPs do fine or do I really have to replace them all with blocking volumes?

Edited by Sjonsson

24 minutes ago, Sjonsson said:

If that's the case, why the heck is there no 'replace BSP with blocking volume'-functionality?! D:

If you select a brush, at the bottom of the Details box there is a 'Convert Actor' list. If you select 'BlockingVolume' on the list, the Brush will be converted. It will only convert individual brushes though, so if you have substractive geometry, you'll most likely have to block things the hard way...

Just now, TheGlecter said:

If you select a brush, at the bottom of the Details box there is a 'Convert Actor' list. If you select 'BlockingVolume' on the list, the Brush will be converted. It will only convert individual brushes though, so if you have substractive geometry, you'll most likely have to block things the hard way...

Well that's something at least! I only knew you could convert BSPs to Static meshes. Saves me at least a bit of the pain if that's the way I have to do it. Thanks! :)

13 hours ago, Sjonsson said:

Well that's something at least! I only knew you could convert BSPs to Static meshes. Saves me at least a bit of the pain if that's the way I have to do it. Thanks! :)

It may also resize or reshape the brush back to default once you convert it to a volume.