SOPA

Rick_D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, like taking Megaupload down would tell us that "we are already against the laws" and those nonsense Acts would be really necessary.

What happens with anyone who used MegaUpload to host personal/ private/ commercial files?

I know people that hosted important backup files in there. I know that's not recommended, because they could lose everything in case the site went down (like at this very moment), but sometimes that's the only way to backup files.

well MU was taken down mainly because their owners were flaunting illegality, and were stupid. the tv-streaming was stupid and they actively made money by offering tv shows hosted on their servers.

one thing about all of this that jumps out at me is how hopelessly redundant the distribution and production companies are, why aren't they offering a comparable service so people aren't forced to go to illegal services? amazon movies aren't available in europe, netflix doesn't have shit, spotify locks music based on region, all in all it's totally pathetic that they want to blame us for their shitty service and inability to understand the internet.

old men running the world. old men who don't get that thins have changed, and that they need to catch the fuck up.

I believe you are right with those examples.

There're some quotes of the great Gabe Newell that say:

"the way to end piracy is to provide a service that's more complete than cracked software"

and

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem,"

more of this in here.

Meanwhile in USA :

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0 ... -decision/

I think it's time to nuke a little the government.

This is actually the Supreme Court ruling the US agreeing to a European treaty on copyrights. It's not "You can arbitrarily claim a public domain work as your own", these works in question were public domain by the rules of the US, but still protected in Europe.