What have you watched recently?

dux

Watched Memories of Murder, which I thought was one of the better films I've ever seen. I heard that this was the first "masterpiece" from the director of Parasite, and I honestly think that seems like a very fair statement because I loved Parasite but this seems easily as good or better.

Memories of Murder (2003) - Posters — The Movie Database ...

and Bringing out the Dead, which Nicholas Cage said was one of his best films. I thought it was non-essential Scorcese, just OK. very atmospheric and well-paced as he usually is capable of, but otherwise pretty forgettable. And Cage seemed pretty much Cage, nothing exceptional.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.cmkzeDojdT-k6EVv6I7lbAHaLH%26pid%3DApi&f=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Batman

I’ve finally watched it 2 weeks ago, before they’d remove it from cinema.

TLDR: I quite liked it, but I was expecting much more - 7/10.

I feel for the runtime they could have done something more. What bugs me the most is that Riddler’s endgame was pretty rubbish, the consequences of his threat are laughable… I mean, Tyler Durden in Fight Club had way bigger aspirations!

I’m not sure how much I’ve missed by not seeing it in IMAX, hopefully I can see it again now that is coming on streaming and enjoy more, since I seen it on the crappiest tiny cinema screen of the multiplex, and was also super tired.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Izuno said:

Just finished the final season of Ozark.  

I had some complaints along the way, but in the end it's a masterpiece.

Ozark Season 4 - What We Know So Far

Respectfully disagree but I don't think you are wrong about the direction they wanted to take the show. I think they ended exactly where they wanted to end.

• 2 weeks later...

saw the 4th season of stranger things, happy to say it kind of pulled back from the direction I thought S3 was taking it

Spoiler

Well, eventually, anyway.

Spoiler

I could have sworn I posted this before but I guess I forgor. I'd been wondering since S1 when the upside-down is - that is to say; human-built structures exist in the other world, even furniture and vehicles - but moving or destroying such an object has no bearing on its counterpart, so what's the reasoning?

I'm not sure whether this was planned all along or just added in response to fans asking the same question, but S4 answers this quite bluntly by inserting a scene where it is established that the upside-down world 'split' from the real world during the time of S1 - and later insinuates it to be from the moment the first portal is opened.

The pacing seems a little odd? I guess it's perfectly normal that, as a plot concludes, all loose ends are tied together - but it really did sort of feel like more than half the plot/lore of the season is crammed into about half an hour of (one of(?)) the last episode(s). Maybe there was some upset that had them hedging their bets in case the next season ended up cancelled? Idk maybe it's just me.

Watched Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

image.png.e5e2ca5c49150353ca32f277ae9f132b.png

Really one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. The great thing about this movie is that on paper it should absolutely not work, but in practice I believe it succeeds brilliantly. A 10/10 in my book.

I got rid of all my streaming services but I have like 5 months left of amazon prime so I checked out "Keven can fuck himself" and it's pretty good. Probably not for everyone though. It changes from corny comedy to dark drama frequently throughout the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Season 3 of this, it started out as me more laughing at the tone and the spectacle of the show being so ridiculous and high energy, but as someone who enjoyed Ninja Warrior this is honestly even better. This one really grew on me and went from popcorn viewing to really getting into it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...